Talking to your dog General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Talking to your dog

I talk to Tikva a lot - probably most of us talk to our dogs, and she talks back. No idea whether she understands me or what she is saying, but she talks. Not barks, not eeps, but definite talking and I am sure she knows what she is saying. I wish I did!

Pereg used to do that when Effi, my computer guy was here. She would sit and watch him and they would carry on long conversations, mostly Effi saying "did you really?" and "what did you say to that", and she would answer him in Caninese.

I have always talked to my dogs, but only these two have ever answered me. Lexi never did - she just used to look at me and, if a dog could, shrug. She was either very clever or rather not quite all there. So sweet though, and such a cuddle-pup.

Does anyone have a verbal dog? I do not mean a barker, but a dog who responds verbally when spoken to?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pork1epe1

Pork1epe1 Member

Name:
    Barbara
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    I have long conversations with both my dogs. Georgina especially is very verbal and is extremely good about telling me what she wants. Here's a short video of her letting me know she wants to go outside!

4. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Well, there is no point in having a dog if you do not talk to them - whether they talk to you is just a benefit!

I love Georgina's expressions - and her waggy tail!
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Rosie is very chatty. She really does tell us what she wants and I swear she can say yes and hello :).

My sister hates dogs, but Rosie has her in stitches
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Pork1epe1 and Malka like this.
    I have had a few woof talkers, but the one that tried hardest to imitate human words was Spike the Löwchen. He was a comical boy who would also run up the front of you to chest height. When you wrapped your arms around him he would lean back for a game of swingboat - an upside down swing between your legs.
    Eddie speaks - not in words, but his range of woofs do have recognisable meanings. The two most used are his bossy, 'Go tell your Dad', messenger-dog bark, and a plaintive two syllable, 'I need some help', bark. He usually needs help when his Kong ball has rolled under the gate, but I have discovered that he also tells lies. This week I spotted him deliberately push it under the gate before woofing, 'help me'.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Pork1epe1 likes this.
    Tik does not try to imitate human words - she just talks Caninese - but she is definitely answering me, just as Pereg answered Effi. It is not a bark nor is it an eep - eep is asking for something, as she did when she was tiny. She is definitely talking though and just as I think she understands what I say to her, I reckon she thinks I understand what she is saying to me.

But she understands English, Ivrit, and also my version of sign language.

Now, if only she would understand what "please put your toys away" means...
  8. Ryan Olivas

Ryan Olivas New Member

Name:
    Ryan Olivas
    You are so lucky having a dog who talks to you verbally or in any other way. Zoey always barks whenever she want something and move closely to that specific thing.
  9. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    Ryan - I think you have to learn and understand the different barks that Zoey makes - maybe asking her what she wants? Just by asking her. Zoey will bark and show you what she wants so ignore that bark, just ask her what she wants.

She will then, usually, tell you, and you have to learn what her different barks mean. Because they are different and you have to learn the difference - and she will learn how to talk, ie bark in different ways.

And/or respond to physical sign language.
  10. Kim Watcham

Kim Watcham New Member

Name:
    Kim
    CaroleC likes this.
    i talk to archie all the time i tell him when im of shopping when im seeing nan nans then he knows his coming with me to see his nan nans he understands a lot of words i say to him archies not a barker only if the doorbell goes and thats good but no barking at all i sing to archie a lot as i always have the radio on its left on all the time for him but i do love my music talking to your dog is very important they need lovley chats