Making arrangements for your dog Discussions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Malka, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli

Making arrangements for your dog

I never thought about arrangements for Lexi if anything happened to me. As it was she went to sleep cuddled up to me in the night and just peacefully died. Pereg? Because of her epilepsy Ram knew that he would have to euthanise her.

But now there is Tikva. And I am far more disabled as the time goes by. At the moment, when I have to be hospitalised as an in-patient, or even just stuck in the hospital for a day for more and more tests, Amit picks her up and takes her to his brother, who has a male Shih Tzu and the two of them are very happy together.

Question. Arrangements for Tikva when I am no longer around. What do I do? I know that Amit will sort it - Tikki adores him and depending on his wife, either Amit of his brother will adopt Tikki. But the financial aspect comes into it. Not just food but vaccinations, flea and tick treatment - everything.

So I spoke with Ram to give me a rough idea as to how much I would have to put aside for someone to look after Tikva. This would be to make sure that she goes to someone she knows and loves. Because I can not expect anyone just to take her on. Ram would keep on looking after her health and shots etc and the finances would cover those - no pet insurance here. And Ram also loves Tikki so would always make sure she is OK.

It is doable. I always kept an emergency amount for Pereg, and her medication and blood tests cost more than I wanted to think about, but I knew her time was limited. Tikki? She is three-years and eight-months old and she is a strong, sturdy and healthy little girl, who Ram checks every three months.

Am I doing the right thing wanting to get things sorted out now?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Most definitely. It gives you peace of mind.

It does involve a certain amount of trust and, personally, I would have a chat with Amit to make sure he is on board with it all and then you can rest easy x
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    You are right
    We should all be doing this
    It’s something people put off because it’s not a subject we want to talk about, the same goes for goes for wills and of course children
    Speak to whoever you need to speak to and get it organised, I definitely know that once you have done it you will feel so much better.
    Please let us know when you have done it !
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Trust is an accepted thing. Both with Amit, his brother, and - of course - Ram.

I had a legal will drawn up a few years ago - and for personal reasons there is no way my daughter can contest it. I also had a Power of Attorney drawn up so everything is as I wish. The people concerned know 100% what I want and can not be contested. My lawyer made sure that everything of that. Cost me enough but well worth it for peace of mind.

Amit has nothing to do with my will or Power of Attorney. He is just a friend who cares about me and Tikki. But - my non-working non-social supposed social worker, who never comes to see me [I should care?] telephoned him and asked him if he thought I should go into an old-people's home.

Very funny. Not. Amit is a senior emergency paramedic. Yes he is my optician but he is also a senior emergency paramedic, and told her that I was probably more normal than she is. That guy will fight for me and for my right to live as normal and not just be classed as an old woman with dementia. Because he knows me.

I have said it before and will say it again. His mother, who was so wonderful, would be so proud of him.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    TBH I do hope to be able to outlive my current elderly pair - but who knows what the future holds? When I adopted Merry this was one of the things that I brought up with her breeders. They said that they would be prepared to take both hounds and find a suitable home for them if they should be 'orphaned'. We still see them quite often, and, as long as they were still around, I know that we could trust them to do this.
    We do have a backstop in being proud supporters of Beagle Welfare. This award-winning breed rescue has its own property, paddocks, and a respected management structure. It even has its own indoor exercise/agility arena for wet weather. It is well-supported by both the breeding and pet owning branches of the Beagle community, and is really careful in the assessment and placement of its charges. I am happy to leave them a bequest, whether they were to become involved in the rehoming of my hounds or not.