Puppy training General Chat

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by My bear Yoji, Jan 18, 2019.

1. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    berry likes this.

Puppy training

When Yoji was about 1, as he is large he was he often got in the way and sometimes a bit of a nuisance, we were advised to “ choose a place “ where we wanted him out of the the way.

Once we had chosen where we wanted him to be we constantly trained him by saying “ in your place “ we encouraged him with high value treats. When he was “ in his place “ we drip feeded treats to him, just to keep him there.

As he got more used to it you stretch the amount of time between treats

He is brilliant at it now and it keeps him from begging at the table and also when we have visitors

Here is a 30 second video of how he is doing now ...he is 2 years old now

I never believed that I could teach him this, but, I have and it really has made life so much easier
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
  4. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    berry likes this.
    I have clearly no idea what I’m doing, I need more “ training “
    Please be patient & watch this space LOL
  5. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Ha I think I’ve got it, I forgot about the “ utube “ thing to show video clips, let me try this
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  6. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Bless him, loved how he just slides into the down.
    Heiko has a habit of lying in the most awkward places at times, luckily he never bothers visitors.
  7. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Yoji is so good and you have trained him so well Philippa - the way he goes into 'his place' when you tell him to is brilliant. Tikva's place is wherever she decides it is. Little booga.
  8. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Bed is my word. There are two beds in 'their' room and two in the living room, and I don't care which one they go to as long as they go straight there and settle down. Eddie was taught to go to bed, but Merry just did it - straightaway. She has also never pestered for our food when we are eating, but she has learned that I always save her a tiny piece, so she is like a coiled spring when we finish a meal. I guess she must have copied what Eddie did, but she is a lunatic when I am preparing their food in the kitchen, while Ed just sits there and salivates.
  9. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    berry likes this.
    Same with mine ,soon as we have finished they are up and expecting a little bit.
  10. berry

berry New Member

Name:
    dot
    I haven't bothered training them to go and lie down in a certain place. When they get a bit older they settle down and just relax and don't bother us. If we save a bit of potato and plain meat after we've are our dinner, they don't jump up at the table and don't bother us when we're eating, they know that they're going to get something.
    IMG_20190107_074251.jpg
    :)
  11. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Awwww well whatever you are doing they look happy & seem to be healthy enough
    Happy dogs are a great thing to see
  12. berry

berry New Member

Name:
    dot
    Thank you, they have had obedience training and used to go every week. They've wone trophies and I have a plack for my work with them.:)