Scared of cars Questions

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by Margo8478, May 18, 2019.

1. Margo8478

Margo8478 New Member

Name:
    Margo8478

Scared of cars

Hi! I have a 9 month old puppy, I got her when she was 4 months, she is a rescue from China, her and her litter mates where found in the streets, they were destined for the meat trade. A rescue stepped in and got them, shipped them over. I was fostering her but fell in love and ended up adopting her. She is absolutely the best puppy I have ever had! Her only issue is that she is understandably afraid of cars. On walks if a car drives by, she stops and cowers to the side. No matter how many walks we go on she does this. When no cars are driving by she walks confidently with me and my other dog. Also she always gets car sick, so I had went to the vet for the car sickness meds and it never worked. She starts drooling even before I turn the car on. And when we get to our destination she just freezes and is soaking wet from drool. I’ve come to realize it may not be car sickness but more of her fear of cars. Not sure how to help her with this. I just keep walking her and taking her on short car rides but it never gets better. Looking for some advice. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Margo8478 and CaroleC like this.
    I would stay away from busy roads for now, and walk where there’s little to no traffic, or find somewhere you can sit at a distance she is happy with, and keep her busy with food or game so she doesn't concentrate on the traffic.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    How does she travel in the car?
    She may be better on towels, and in a covered crate - so she doesn't see any moving scenery.
    My Beagle, Eddie, was just the same as a puppy. He had also had a great deal of travel in his short life, (Irish puppy farm, UK dealer, failed first home, rescue kennel, then me). A friend recommended Stugeron tablets, and I gave him half a tablet at least an hour before every journey - however short! If it was an early morning trip, I gave him a full one last thing the night before. We tried to make as many of his initial journeys as possible to places that he would enjoy.
    His improvement was quite rapid, - a matter of weeks - and he became a brilliant traveller, going to training and shows every week without any problem.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Also, if you have a secure drive, doors open and play with her in the stationary car. If she will take treats while sat in there give her those. If she will eat her dinner in there, give it her there

Your aim is to make the car feel like a very safe place that she is more than comfortable in before ever turning on the engine