12 week akita weight? Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Kai_Kudu, May 21, 2019.

1. Kai_Kudu

Kai_Kudu New Member

Name:
    Kudu
    3dgar likes this.

12 week akita weight?

Hi all,

Sooo my fiance is concerned with Kai's current weight... me, not so much because I think he looks quite healthy and his energy levels seems normal. He is basing his assumptions on weighting charts floating around the web, which I do not believe to be accurate anyway - don't think you can generalise a breed as each doggo is different :)

Weighed him at puppy school on Sunday (just a few days shy of 12 weeks), and he was 11.2kg. He seems to steadily be gaining around 1-1.5kg per week at this stage.

I can definitely see that he has thinned out ever so slightly, but he has also gotten taller. We are feeding him 3x daily, recommended amount of grain-free kibble (around 180g daily) mixed in with cooked mince meat and frozen veg (around 3 heaped tablespoons). Also adding in some fish oil.

In between meals, he is also receiving treats when we train or whenever he is settled nicely or just being a good boy, just for some reinforcement ;). Every couple days he also gets a raw chicken wing (minus the tip).

Appreciate any advice! Will try add a pic of him for reference when I get home. :D
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kai_Kudu

Kai_Kudu New Member

Name:
    Kudu
    CaroleC and GsdSlave like this.
    took some screen grabs from a vid I took this morning after he just woke up :)

Attached Files:

4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Malka likes this.
    He looks fine.

I’m not a fan of puppy/adult weight charts,and they make so many people worry needlessly.
    There is no such thing as an ‘average’ puppy because each puppy is different, and grows at different rates.
    It’s best to go by body condition and not focus on a numbers, personally I prefer my pups to be on the lean side rather than too heavy.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    He looks absolutely fine to me too.

You'll find he keeps on changing as he grows. A growth spurt and he'll look very lean and then his bulk will follow.

He looks perfect to me
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kai looks great [and adorable] and like Vee - @GsdSlave said, I too prefer pups to be on the lean side, especially having been called out by a few people that queried whether I starved my dog. Being short-haired it obviously shows and since the tiny fat-bellied puppy that she was she just grew steadily, that fat puppy belly disappeared and she grew into her adult shape. And her weight now is exactly what it was when she was six-months-old.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    3dgar, Malka and Chris B like this.
    I concur with all the above posts. Your boy looks fine to me, they tend to grow in spurts. He will be whatever size he’s meant to be. I found the growth charts to be inaccurate, they predicted my dogs would be smaller then they ended up being, and did cause me some undo stress and worry. Tell your fiancé to not fret over something that is completely out of your control. My first Akita was a super picky eater as a pup, seemed thin, ended up being 120+lbs... my current boy is 85ish lbs and is plenty big. As long as he has a good temperament and good health he will keep growing and Akitas keep slowly filling out until 2.5-3 years of age. Adult Akitas can weigh anywhere between 70-130+ lbs... I’m sure your boy will fall somewhere in that range.
  8. Kai_Kudu

Kai_Kudu New Member

Name:
    Kudu
    Thanks everyone for your replies!! :) really appreciate you all taking the time