Introducing Female Akita Pup to 1.5 yr old male Questions

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Jer, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Jer

Jer New Member

Name:
    Jeremy

Introducing Female Akita Pup to 1.5 yr old male

Hello everyone,

I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light on how I can properly introduce a 3 month old female Akita to my 1.5 year old male.

I brought the pup home about 5 days ago and my male isn't to found of her just yet. I know I need to give them more time than 5 days. Wanted to see if anyone has done this before with success.

I currently have a 7 yr old peekapoo that has been raised with my male Akita since he was 7 weeks old. They get along well for the most part.

My male has shown aggression towards her already and even has attacked her. I was able to control the situation with no damages but the pup is pretty scared of him.

I keep them baby gated from one another as of now. They take walks together each night and he could care less about her.

It's when we are in the house. Most of the fights have been towards food and I keep everything away from one another.

But my male attacked her a few days ago when my boys brought groceries into the house. There was a bag on the floor with chicken in it. All she did was go and sniff the bag and he pounced on her when they were in the same room being fine.

I crate her at night in my bedroom and they all sleep together with no growing or issues. He is still sort of hunting her if I could paint a picture. He is sort of fine for a bit. I keep him on a chain in the house.

But then she'll be just laying on the floor cleaning herself and he will stand over top of her and start to growl and sort of attack her but I am able to keep him from doing so.

Any tips anyone can give would be great. Has anyone been in this boat before. My male is a great dog love him he listens well and I have had Akitas in the past just not multiple at the same time.

Do I just need to continue to be patient and just slowly continue each day to work with them.

Any thoughts are apprecaited.

Thanks

Jeremy
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Hi Jer, I got a 4 month old female Akita when my male was 18 months. I’m at work on a short break so can’t really respond now, but will tonight, but probably not until after 9pm west coast time in the US. I have had food aggression issues and will share with you later. My dogs get along great, now, but all dogs are different.
  4. Jer

Jer New Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    No problem,

Thank you for the comments. Any tips on what you did to over come those issues would be great.

I think that I can't expect my male to just like another animal in 5 days. So being patient is no problem. Just hoping they will work out. I would hate to have to leave them seperate for the remainder of there lives.

I will check back later. I am on the east coast so may not see it till the am tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeremy
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m sorry I haven’t responded yet, it’s not a short post. I work 10 hrs a day. I will respond Sunday morning. Need to exercise my dogs and make dinner tonight, and catch a bit of the sharks hockey game. Promise
  6. Jer

Jer New Member

Name:
    Jeremy
    No problem,

Thankfully after 3 weeks of working with them my male is accepting her. They are starting to play together sleep in my room at night with no issues.

She knows he is the dominate one and hasn't crossed him. I do however have to keep food and bones put up and there seems to be no issues.

She keeps her ears back the entire time while playing with him. They are getting along pretty well and it's a relief.

Just wanted to update this post in case someone else in the future may need help. Patience was the key and kept a consistent approach with them.

The female is much different than the males. I never had a girl been all males in the past. She is pretty stubborn and a lot more vocal than my male is.

She has a different personality. More playful I would say. Slept less than my male did when he was younger. But they are very similar in a lot of ways also.

Thanks,

Jeremy