Min Pin puppy hair loss General Chat

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Lunamoon, Dec 19, 2019.

1. Lunamoon

Lunamoon New Member

Name:
    Jeannie

Min Pin puppy hair loss

My min pin is 10wks. old and she is loosing hair on her forehead, neck, and legs and she scratches. Vet checked her fecal and she had roundworms, vet gave strongid t, recheck for worms and she is all good, also skin scraping and nothing. Vet has also given ivermectin 2x 2wks apart and still is not helping :(. I am currently feeding Billy and Margot salmon. She eats well, gaining weight, and drinks pleanty of water. Vet has also checked her urine and she has struvite crystal's in her urine and vet is prescribed Methigel 1/8tsp. 1x day. Sent urine culture off and came back abnormal. I love her to pieces and just want her to get better. Any advice on the skin and the urine?

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Poor baby, it sounds as if her breeder wasn't very experienced. I would stick with your vet's recommendations - she may need a low protein diet to form less struvite. (Afraid that I don't know anything about the Billy and Margot food). It's good that she is drinking well, as keeping her urine clear will help. As the skin scrape was negative, it sounds as if the hair loss could be a secondary problem, and is likely to regrow once you get her urinary tract problems sorted out. I hope she will show signs of improvement soon.
  4. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like your vet is doing all the usual checks.

On the skin front, my first thought was possible allergy. It could be food or could be environmental, but also it could be a reaction to the meds she's been given and may resolve itself after all the meds are out of her system.

I take it she's also been treated for fleas?
  5. Lunamoon

Lunamoon New Member

Name:
    Jeannie
    Thank you for responding Chris. Thanks for asking and yes she was given Bravecto.
  6. Lunamoon

Lunamoon New Member

Name:
    Jeannie
    CaroleC likes this.
    Thanks for responding CaroleC. I'm surprised my vet hasn't recommended a lower protein diet. I have reached out to the breeder but they seem clueless
    :(. Billy and Margot dog food protein is 34% and probably too high. I have been doing some research on dog foods but soo much to choose from, with that being said, I just want the best food for her and for her health and well being. I have also started her on the Omega 3 fish oil and the vet seemed fine with the fish oils.
  7. Chris

Chris Member

Name:
    Chris