Drinking rocks Questions

Discussion in 'Shar Pei' started by Salfordguy, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Salfordguy

Salfordguy New Member

Name:
    Craig Blomley

Drinking rocks

Newbie here.
    Would it be safe to give our 18 month old Sharpei male Rocks in his drinking water... to try and reduce the impact from his urine burning the garden lawn? The reason why I ask is I have read that the rocks can release dangerous chemicals for certain breed of dogs. I would appreciate all comments
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Lots of joys of having a dog but a lawn isn't one of them.
    Personally I never liked the idea of giving anything to my dogs that wasn't necessary.
    Designate a spot for him to go and put down gravel,dirt, mulch,artificial grass etc.)
    Then teach him to use that area.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I strongly suspect that the rocks don't actually work, so are probably harmless.

We also have a pit of the yellow chippings, a edging of decking board keeps it from spreading to other areas, and allows the chippings to be rinsed if necessary.
    An upright pee post is a useful addition for a male dog. If you use a chestnut fence post, or a section from a branch, it doesn't look out of place.
  5. Old

Old Member

Name:
    Don
    GSDslave
    I agree with not giving them unnecessary things. Mine, Max, started to fixate on a toy. Moved on to chewing a pillow. The toy (and pillow were taken away.) Now, no toys makes for a more content GSD.
    I’ve done the same as you with the mulch restroom. Max will only go in this one spot now. Plus, I don’t have to look where I step in the grass.
  6. Salfordguy

Salfordguy New Member

Name:
    Craig Blomley
    I think the upright person post is a good way to go for starters. Thanks