Did I buy a jack Russell General Chat

Discussion in 'Jack Russell Terrier' started by Philip, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    The bull and staff only lasted 12 years the mix lasted 24+ years
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I don’t know anything about the growth rates of JRT but I would suggest to wait until your current dog is at least a year old, (a year and a half might be better) and well trained before adding another. Also it would be wise to have the male altered before bringing in a female, unless your idea is to breed them. In which case you’d need to make sure they were separated when the female was in heat until she reaches the age of 2 years, when you could have her (and him) health tested to make sure they don’t have any physical traits that you wouldn’t want to pass on.
  4. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    My allotment is a 2 mile walk and I walk 5 days a week plus the everyday walks
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Four small meals a day is about right for Oreo, tapering off to twice a day when he is around 6-8 months old. What you should be looking for is a slow and steady weight gain at his age, not too much too quickly, especially as he is such a [gorgeous :007:] little one.
  6. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I think that's good advice because I was planning on taking oreo to my puppy club and after that taking to k9 school because I really like having trained dogs what know commands and it might be difficult with two young dogs. And I might have one litter and then get oreo done. And oreo as been health checked but the vet didn't notice the back dew claw
  7. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I do 4 meals a day with with a tbs of milk on the kibble I just don't want a put to much on to quickly I don't want a fat dog but I do have oreo running for an hour every day because I live in a big house and playing with him is fun. I'll make a video soon it's so funny
  8. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    The health tests you’ve done already were probably just to make sure your pup was healthy. Health tests for a dog you want to breed should be done when the dog has reached two years of age, and can vary depending on the breed.
  9. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    OK that's more good info and I don't intend to become a breeder but letting a female have one litter just seems natural so I will take your advice on

Thanks
  10. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    What I've read two males can't be kept together is this true
  11. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    In some breeds the dogs sometimes don’t get along with a dog of the same sex. This is often true with my breed, Akitas.
  12. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Although giving birth is a natural thing in all species, there is no real good reason to let a female dog have a litter. It is actually healthier for them long term to be spayed and not have a litter
  13. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Sorry Phil but there are far too many unwanted dogs and puppies as it is, so to let a bitch have one litter because you think it "just seems natural" is really not a good idea. It involves a lot of time, money, and the ability to take back a dog that you have bred that the new owner has to part with for some reason.

[Edited to say that Marc @who owns who posted just as I was typing]
  14. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I understand what you are saying because the bull and staff I ended up taking on wasn't my choice it was people buying them and not taking care of them and was given to me but my mixed breed was mine from a puppy
  15. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    I found it really difficult finding oreo I phoned over 40 breeders and all was sold out with house of putting up the ad. Anyway I'll not breed I just was thinking like a human and most want kids but I was wwrong I hope I've not upset anyone
  16. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I’m not upset, just sharing my thoughts and opinions
  17. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka likes this.
    Not all humans need to breed, nor should they, IMO
  18. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    And you opinions are respected I really like you views and I really understand them

Thanks
  19. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil
    We all can have are own IMO and I've started to agree with you .
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Of course you have not upset anyone Phil - it is good that you ask questions and it is good that you take note of what people say and/or suggest. Some of us have had quite a bit of breeding experience and I, for one, although I loved every minute of it, sometimes look back and remember all the negative and sad things that happened, as well as the joy it brought.

The dogs I have had the pleasure of sharing my home with over the last couple of decades have been unwanted, unplanned, little puppies of no known origin, except for Tikva, my current little one who is a Dachshund/Minpin cross - but she was also unplanned and unwanted. They have all been females, spayed three months after their first season, Tikva being the exception having been spayed at the age of 6 months before she had even come into season.
  21. Philip

Philip New Member

Name:
    Phil