My 6 month old Akita General Chat

Discussion in 'Akita' started by broderick1000, Aug 22, 2019.

1. broderick1000

broderick1000 New Member

Name:
    broderick williams

My 6 month old Akita

My 6 month old Akita is 25 inches in height and 76 lbs, i wonder is he growing too fast. i don't want him to have joint issues later. broderick 411.JPG broderick 409.JPG broderick 411.JPG broderick 409.JPG broderick 404.JPG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What are you feeding?
  4. broderick1000

broderick1000 New Member

Name:
    broderick williams
    I feed him Hill Science for large breed puppies. He was 25 lbs at 10 weeks and the breeder said he was her biggest male to date.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Wow. That is certainly a large baby!
    I fed the stats that you have provided into www.puppyweights.com
    The programme estimates that he will make 97lb 7oz, which is about average weight for his breed. Although this is just an estimate, I would be reassured that there doesn't seem to be anything abnormal going on.
    Lovely photos BTW.
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Ps. Based on his 10 week weight they project 64lb 1oz? Which just shows how much variation there is in growth rates.
  7. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    I think you will have an Akita well over 100 lbs when he’s done filling out. I’d guess (but it’s only a guess) he will be in 110-120 lb range. I find those guesstimate charts are on the low end. I’ve had a 120 lb male Akita, that’s a big boy. My current male is around 85 lbs.
  8. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    He looks nice and also similar to my girl in color , Although mine is alot smaller at 20 inches in height and only weighs 15 kgs at 20 wks old .
    How much a day are you feeding him please ?
  9. broderick1000

broderick1000 New Member

Name:
    broderick williams
    I feed him 2 1/2 cups of Hill Science for large breed puppies twice a day.
  10. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    CaroleC likes this.
    @Newakitaowner
    You need to feed your dog an appropriate amount for her current age and weight. The amount of food @broderick1000 feeds his dog has no relevance to how much you should feed your dog, just in case that’s why you were asking... I wouldn’t want you to over feed your dog in the hope she would gain weight faster.
  11. Newakitaowner

Newakitaowner New Member

Name:
    Akira
    And i do feed her a appropriate amount for her weight and age . I am asking him out of curiosity actually as to the amount .
  12. Kai_Kudu

Kai_Kudu New Member

Name:
    Kudu
    you boy is quite a tall one, and beautiful :) What's his name?!

My 6 month akita male, Kai, is around is same weight. I haven't measured his height, but he looks a bit shorter than yours.

I think your doggo looks fine, as long as you are feeding him recommended amounts for his age/weight I wouldn't be too concerned.
  13. Animal Welfare

Animal Welfare New Member

Name:
    Animal Welfare
    Hello you all lovely people...

I am still new to this Forum and the the whole idea of sharing thoughts, concerns, questions and quotes with others, so please, do bear with me (especially if I sounded awkward) :rolleyes:

I currently have the following babies:

Ginger, German Long Hair 5 year old female cat (Toffee)
    Ginger, American and Brindle, Dutch 9 month old female bunnies (Jenny and Coco)

I recently adopted an American Akita (pinto - tricolor black mask) male Akita last November 2019: Hatchiko.

He is turning 6 months on the 28th of Feb. This boy is adorable, goofy and loves to communicate with his mouth a lot and I mean a lot!!! But he is the most enchanting and charming baby boy on this planet!

I actually needed some advice from your kind selves on the following points - had many dogs and pets before but this boy is really special:

1. Hatchiko is turning 6 months by the end of Feb and I was wondering if someone could help me out on knowing if this baby boy is going to be a giant or just a normal large size (VET claims he is huge lol but healthy and fit)
    32 kg, 65 cm height from foot till shoulder, 100 cm from snout tip till tail tip and 140 cm height whilst standing with his paws on my shoulders ( I am just 150 cm tall, weighing 50 kg 40 years of age) .

2. I feed him 3 home-cooked meals mixed with his dry food (MAXI PUP Royal Canine Kibble 2 full cups) with: usually chicken, meat or Tuna with mixed veggies + either pasta, bread or rice. His treats are all natural Turkey, corned beef, hot dogs or boiled eggs (sometimes cheese in minimal amounts as a reward) along with fat free yogurt and some broth; I really try my best to use natural ingredients

3. He is nearly done with his teething process i.e. no more milk teeth, but the adult ones are still pushing out and growing longer - I brush them at least 3 to 4 times a week

4. I walk him 30 to 40 minutes early morning, 30 to 40 minutes late afternoon and between 60 to 90 minutes before we sleep ( I give him 15 minutes to run around a closed park where we chase each other and play tug with his leash).

I am really, God knows, trying my best to keep him healthy, entertained and content.

Now, my issues which somehow concerns me:

1. He keeps getting diarrhea from time to time or soft stool (but no mucus, blood or parasites) - gave him a couple of medications prescribed by the vet but still it might stop and return (would sometimes eat grass or leaves to induce vomiting i.e. yellow liquid or mucus) but Vet said this is all normal from the weather change
    2. His mouth is mainly warm and he is salivating a lot (could be from his teeth growing process)
    3. He still loves to mouth on me especially when he needs something or wants me to do something for him ( I am working on that)
    4. Loves Toffee - my cat, plays with her from time to time, but he keeps pulling her hair, out of play, and chases her around - but never hurts her, and she just hisses or lays on her back a bit then runs to her carrier etc. ( I need your guidance on how to make them play softly)
    5. My bunnies are in their play den and he just licks them and stares at them all day - they are secured of course
    6. He loves people, kids and other dogs. He is very friendly and sociable and loves his routine and his long naps on the gold ceramic flooring. He is also very smart, hilarious, but stubborn and gets bored fast :)
    7. When we play together, and I sit on the floor, he keeps trying to mount me or hump me and I move him slowly away or cease him from such (as he sometimes bites on my arms and shoulder but without causing any damage)
    8. He started being very protective i.e. might bark on any weird looking moving object (plastic bags or moving shade cloths) while we are having our walks, any strange sound, or stand between me and the grocery guy when he arrives at my home (very very cute). He did not hit puberty yet as he still pees in a normal female-like position and his testicles are still upheld.
    9. He doesn't like to cuddle much except maybe snooze for a few minutes beside me (I actually intrude). At night, when it is sleep time, he starts by jumping on my bed, mouthing me slowly and twirling around, then goes down and sleeps under me but on the floor - every single day (I really hope that this pup loves me and is not annoyed from me... I think I need to be more patient for him to bond with me)

P.S. BTW, He adores my hubby, who works mainly from home so he stays with him more than I do, but the strange thing is that my husband might scold him (no scream or shout) when he does something wrong and doesn't actually interact with him as much as I do, but I guess Dogs really do feel intentions and what a person is from the inside rather than external deeds or actions only (lol..sometimes I feel that is not fair to me though)

I know that all the above might sound normal for most dogs, but of course, knowing how you all are experienced (probably in Akitas) and you are generous in sharing new info, I would really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks a million folks!

Attached Files:

14. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc New Member

Name:
    Ryan
    My male American Akita weighed 89lbs at the vet today and is in great shape. This sounds like a 150++ dog at 2 yo. Am i way off?
  15. Ryan Mc

Ryan Mc New Member

Name:
    Ryan
    sorry hes 6.5 months