Malamute harness/lead? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by David_and_Goliath, Nov 14, 2020.

1. David_and_Goliath

David_and_Goliath New Member

Name:
    Dave

Malamute harness/lead?

Question for other large/strong dog owners…

I have two Alaskan Malamutes. Both around 100 lbs I’d guess. …Neither sits nicely on the scale at the vet’s, so we do the best we can.

Can anyone recommend a good harness/lead allowing me to walk them both?? …and without being concerned that the harness or lead might break.

Malamutes are natural explorers – and neither of mine would think twice about leaving me and going for a run.

Perhaps a brand name? Or, an online website I can visit?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Hello Dave, welcome to Breedia to you, Goliath and Bathsheba :039:

I have never owned a large dog but I like both the following harnesses. I used the Ezydog Quick-Fit™ harness on a 20+kg dog although sizes go up for much bigger/heavier dogs. Their Convert™ Harness [similar to the Julius-K9 Harness] is one I think I would have used had I had a large dog. The quality of their harnesses and collars is excellent.

https://store.ezydog.com/categories/dog-harnesses/

The harness [and collar] shown on the dog in my avatar is similar to the Ezydog Quick-Fit - it is a Comfort-Flex Sport harness which also has sizes for larger dogs. Clean Run also sell the Julius-K9 harness. Again the quality of both harness and collars is excellent.

https://www.cleanrun.com/category/dog_supplies/dog_harnesses_and_dog_halters/dog_harnesses/index.cfm

I preferred the Comfort-Flex over the EzyDog Quick-Fit but that was just a personal preference.

I cannot advise about leads though as I used a chain lead attached to a mobility scooter. Hopefully someone else can advise you about leads - and possibly give their preference regarding harnesses.
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    I am not a fan of harnesses for large breeds. Think Malamute, think heavy sledding!

If your preference is for a harness, pick one with a front attachment which allows you to turn your dog, rather than have to pull against him. Personally I would go for a 6 foot double-ended lead, attaching one end to a harness or a half-check collar, and the other to a headcollar. Check the forward pull using the harness or collar, and direct, (never jerk), the head and neck using the headcollar.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka likes this.
    Missed the edit window but wanted to add.
    Remember to always give clear commands, and give calm encouragement when your dog does walk without pulling.