Minpin refuses to walk down the road Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Angus00, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Angus00

Angus00 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson

Minpin refuses to walk down the road

Hi folks, I have a minpin that used to walked down a busy road along the grassed nature stip with cars & heavy trucks going past all the time & over an overpass, She liked to stop on the overpass & watch the trafic roll under her, But she stoped walking with me about six months ago, I have tried to coax her along but she only goes about 100 metres an sits & will not go another step, then I have to pick her up & carry her back to the house, then she sits on the back of a lounge chair where she lays quite a bit of the day watching the world go by whining & looking out the window till I come back, she then jumps down from the chair & runs out to the back gate jumping up & down as most minpins do, I know she is quite spoiled but I don't think ay more than other Minpins it a bit hard not to spoil a minpin.I can't think of anything that hapened to upset her but something has stopped her wanting to walk. Any advice to get walking again would be much appreciated
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    GsdSlave likes this.
    How old is your MinPin? Sometimes as dogs age they start to be alarmed by the noise and bustle of busy roads. I had one elderly Lowchen dog who decided he would only walk for about a mile away from home before turning and towing me back.
    Is your girl any happier being walked in a rural area?
    Have you tried carrying her for the outward journey and putting her down for the homeward stretch? This can sometimes help them to overcome a minor incident that could have become lodged as a fear.
  4. Angus00

Angus00 New Member

Name:
    Gilbert Misson
    Hi caroleC, My little minpin is only 5 years old & yes she is a girl, always been a nervous dog but I understand minpins are that way, She does prefer to walk in quieter places & is happy to walk in country areas or in places she has not been before, I have tried carrying her and putting her down in quieter places when no trafic was coming but made no difference, She was happy to wait on the island in the middle of the road with large semie trailers lonly feet away from her , she just sat and waited till they passed and would get up and away she would go, but not now. On windy days noises would upset her a bit but that never stoped her waklking, The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem was a shed being built just around the corner and the nail gun frightened her it was around then she put the brakes on and would not walk but that was a while ago. So I will have to keep trying to get a walk in in other places.