Adopted 4 y.o Akita after abuse Training

Discussion in 'Akita' started by Danielka4, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Danielka4

Danielka4 New Member

Name:
    Daniel

Adopted 4 y.o Akita after abuse

Hey all!
    I adopted 2 months ago 4 years old Akita. His name is Roy and he suffered from abuse. In short - he was used by a drug-addict to collect money. He was starving, kept in a closed room (very small and tight) on a chain, and slept on his excrement. After that, he was rescued (while his old home burning).

He's very kind and playful, with people and dogs. I don't see any psychological damage besides he scared in very dark places. He is disciplined at home and doing everything I want from him, but outside when there are other dogs he doesn't listen that much. He attacked 2 dogs (without and damage) but most of the time even when he's being attacked he stays calm.

We went today to a dog trainer (swat veteran that worked with dogs and was police head instructor in dogs training). It was a group training most of the dogs there are Malinois, a german shepherds puppies. I know that Roy is an adult with a developed personality and not a working dog like Malinois. The training there was a lil bit tough (maybe aggressive is a better word, not punching but collar choking as punishments) but all the dogs there been very obedient to their owners.

My question is will tough training with mature Akita will have any effect or I need a different approach to get his full obedience and still keep his affection toward me?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Hi, “Tough” training is not how you want to train an Akita. You need to find a different trainer immediately. Only use positive training methods with this breed of dog (all dogs IMO). I would say this is even more important since your dog was in an abusive situation. Get rid of choke collar pronto. Only positive re-enforcement methods should be used. Akita’s bore easily with repetitive training. So you may need to move quickly from one command to another to keep his attention. Short training sessions are best. You need a trainer who understands this breed, and not all of them do. A poodle may learn different than a Malinois and an Akita may learn different than both.

Akitas often (usually) don’t get along with other dogs, especially dogs of the same sex. Akita’s should always be kept on leash when not at home, don’t let him run free at a dog park and don’t put him in situations where he can attack another dog or be attacked himself.

I would suggest getting him a harness with a front lead for walks. The term you used, “disciplined” at home, I would replace with trained, and possibly you need a change of mindset too. All training needs to be done with love and kindness. This breed is sensitive, and won’t respond well to harsh training methods. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t raise your voice if the situation warrants it.

Have you done much research and reading about this breed? If you are using the type of training methods that it appears that you are it leads me to believe you haven’t. If you haven’t, I would suggest you spend at least a few hours doing so.

Feel free to ask more questions and good luck and very good of you to adopt this dog and give him the type of home he deserves. Now educate yourself about how to best go about providing that for him, and that starts with only positive training.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    Many trainers are not good with Akitas. There may be a breed rescue or breeder close to you who could recommend someone experienced with the breed.

They are definitely not collies/mals/gsds and need slightly different handling, but they need a confident and firm hand.
    Correction based training doesn't work, It needs to be positive training but with clear communications of what is expected and acceptable and not.
  5. Danielka4

Danielka4 New Member

Name:
    Daniel
    Toedtoes likes this.
    We did try and used only positive training until today, and I didn't like the punishment method that I sow today. I asked about it just to be sure that the punishment method is not recommended.
    I also read a lot but didn't find specific training methods for Akitas and specifically adults that developed their character already.

I just want him to listen when he's around other dogs. listen when he's free from the leash in the woods (he ran away from my girlfriend). I can handle him if he attacking or misbehave and can hold him but this is more challenging when my girlfriend (or her mom) needs to hold him (not necessarily while he attacks but also when he pulls towards other dogs to sniff or play).
  6. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Unfortunately I don’t think he should be free from the leash in the woods. Akita’s are known for having extremely poor recall. I would suggest trying a no pull harness. It’s not magic, you still need to teach him to not pull, but it applies pressure across their chest, to discourage pulling. Akita’s are a challenging breed to own, and not recommended for a first time dog owner.

I would suggest, as above, to see what local resources you can find through local akita rescue or breeder clubs or a local breeder.

Perhaps your girlfriend and her mother shouldn’t be walking him alone until he has more training and doesn’t pull. My dogs still do this sometimes, and I consider myself to be relatively adept at handling them.

I am lucky in that I have a relatively good sized fenced area where my dogs can run around. They are never allowed off leash away from home, so they don’t have that expectation. I would highly suggest to no longer allow him off leash. If it’s not something he’s used to, he won’t miss it.
  7. Colorado121

Colorado121 New Member

Name:
    D
    Toedtoes and CaroleC like this.
    Hello,
    My wife and I have had 3 Akitas over 21 years. 2 of them were rescues. We also rescued a malamute.

First, I agree, positive reinforcement is key.
    Second, Akitas should NOT be off lease. They will run and they have a mind of their own. They are too large to take a chance with. You never know if other dogs are around or a child. To that matter even an adult.

Yes, they are cute and look cuddly but don’t let that fool you. You need to understand this breed is typically a one person or one family dog. Now they can be trained but be cautious. Again, don’t let them off lease.

I walked with my last Akita 3 years in the park before he felt comfortable meeting other dogs.

He finally made several friends but I didn’t let him off lease. He had people and dog friends. It was a slow process.

Be patient.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Hi, I took in a rescued 3yr old akita. He had spent that entire 3 yrs in a backyard kennel with only cement. The owners apparently never took him out of the kennel from the day they bought him at 8 weeks until he was rescued. Fortunately, my dad had an akita and showed him and understood the breed very well. He was a wonderful dog and to see the joy on his face when he experienced the world in a safe and positive manner was priceless.

I have found that most police dog trainers are too forceful in their methods for our pet and show dogs. Some have actually crossed into abusive training methods.

Find a positive trainer. One who realizes that your akita needs to be given a firm but kind hand to help him be secure in his world.

I also agree on never letting an akita run offleash. Bear-dog got loose once and was running down the street completely freaked. If my brother-in-law hadn't gotten in front of Bear-dog and caused him to turn around in fear (Bear-dog was fearful of men other than my dad) I never would have caught him.