Intro:catincanada Introductions

Discussion in 'Your Introductions' started by Catincanada, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Catincanada

Catincanada New Member

Name:
    Cat

Intro:catincanada

I grew up with dogs. Cocker Spaniels/Cocker Spaniel mixes. They were my family’s choice of breeds not mine. I’m totally neutral to those breeds I don’t love them. Growing up I always wanted a German Shepherd or Doberman.

I’ve always had bigger aspirations for dogs. Probably why I’d prefer a German Shepherd if I could be sure I could lift it in an emergency.
    My family members sabotaged my trick training of the mix breed spaniel out of fear he’d get hurt jumping a 3 foot dog house even though he jumped a 4 foot fence when we first got him.

Ive always preferred medium or large dogs.

I’ve always wanted to train to high level obedience levels like Utility and Schutzhund 3 and have a dog do tricks like jumping through hoops.

I live in the GTA. I’m middle aged. I’m not looking for a human relationship right now. I just came here for breed advice.

I don’t have a dog right now but want one. Unfortunately I have a family member doesn’t want one so I have to wait (they’re 97).

I’m in the research breeds stage by necessity due to not wanting to bring a dog into my home if it will start a family WW3.

I came here for advice but accidentally put a ! instead of ? in my post.

The post I’m referring to to this one:

https://www.forum.breedia.com/threads/which-breed.19723/
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    Welcome. I responded to your other post. I love Toronto!!!!

My preference has always been GSDs. I just love them above all other breeds (sorry Tornado-dog). I have not been able to pick up any of my dogs. Even if they weren't too heavy, their weight distribution and legs made it difficult to get a proper grip. There are ways around that in an emergency. When my 85lb shepherd died at home, I slid her onto a thick towel and then dragged the towel to the car. I was able to maneuver the body into the car and get her to the vet for cremation. My Dog lost function in her back legs - I was able to run a bath towel under her hips and use it to lift her back end while she walked on her front legs. With my Bat-dog, who couldn't stand on any of her legs, I opened the towel up so it cradled her entire belly and got her to the car in a similar manner.

So, my point is that unless you will be going into remote areas, there are ways to handle a large dog in an emergency.

Even though you've grown up with dogs, as you have not been the primary caretaker of them, I would suggest you see about volunteering at your local shelter. They are always looking for folks who can take the dogs out and work with them on obedience skills and socialization. This will not only help the dogs become more adoptable, but will give you several benefits: 1) you will be able to see what dog personalities best fit you now*; 2) you can develop your training skills before getting a puppy of your own; and 3) you get your "dog fix" without starting WW3 at home.

*I say that because while one breed/personality may be attractive, once you are actually working with it, you may find it's more or less than you want to deal with on a permanent basis.

Just popped in my head: have you considered boxers? They can do the agility, utility, etc and are a bit smaller than your named breeds.