Neck Size of Giant Malamute? Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Gregory Saunders, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Gregory Saunders

Gregory Saunders New Member

Name:
    Gregory Saunders

Neck Size of Giant Malamute?

I'm getting a 140 pound 4 year old giant mal tomorrow and trying to buy a choke chain and collar and wondering if anyone knows what to expect for neck size? I'm buying the dog from an elderly lady and asked her about the neck size but she didn't answer/know. Thanks in advance :)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Toedtoes and Malka like this.
    Why do you want a choke chain? If you want something to apply very slight pressure you could try a martingale collar, which is far more humane. What has the current owner been using? I have used a choke collar on a previous dog, from a lack of knowledge. I walk my dogs with harnesses. I have two Akita’s. I have no idea how big the dogs neck would be. Good luck.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    My shepherd at 85lbs, wears a 22 inch collar. For everyday wear, I use a Martingale with quick release (buckle). It is adjustable and fits up to 27 inches. There is a size larger that is huge. I really like the quick release style because it can be sized better to the individual dog. I can fit it so when we are walking it won't slip off the dog's head if she pulls away from me.

There are all fabric martingales and then there are ones with chain portions. The ones with the chain portion will provide a sound that can be enough to distract the dog (rather than an actual correction).

I am of the belief that a choke chain PROPERLY used is acceptable if nothing else works and for training purposes only. It's when the collar is used instead of training that it becomes an issue. 99% of the time, a choke chain should be loose around the neck. And that 1% of the time, it should just be a quick light touch, and then right back to being loose. It should never be tight against the neck.

The times I cringe are when I see an untrained dog pulling against any collar with no effort by the owner to change that behavior. I'd rather see a well trained dog wearing a choke chain than an untrained dog dragging its owner down the street wearing a harness.
  5. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    For exercise, I would have a half check collar correctly fitted by an experienced retailer. Too large will be useless in helping to control him, too small will dig into the neck too much.
    While you are getting to know your dog, keep a collar on him in the house. It will give you something secure to grasp if you need to hold on to him, and will also hold his address tags if he should slide past you. A strong but not too wide leather buckle collar would be better for this purpose.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    I double checked. The "half check" and "martingale" collars are the same thing. ;)

Here in the states, there aren't many "experienced" retailers around anymore to help with sizing. I have always sized it so when loose it will slide over the dog's head, and when tight, it will allow two fingers under it but it won't go over the head.