Dog food and vitamins, HELP! Questions

Discussion in 'Alaskan Malamute' started by Hazy the baby, Mar 7, 2022.

1. Hazy the baby

Hazy the baby New Member

Name:
    Rae Mae

Dog food and vitamins, HELP!

I have a 5 year old Alaskan Malamute. His name is Hazy and he weights about 110. He is getting older and I want to make sure he’s getting all the vitamins and nutrients he needs.

Right now he’s eating the Kirkland Signature brand. It’s grain free, he does have a grain allergy and a very sensitive stomach. It’s the sweet potato and lamb flavor. I feed him 2 sardines a night and also a glucosamine vitamin.

I feel like the nutrients in the dog food and what I’m giving him separately just aren’t enough in his older age.

What are some of you all feeding your big guys to keep them healthy and strong?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Dog food is developed to provide the average dog with all the nutrients needed. For most dogs, they don't need any additional supplements.

Why don't you think it's enough? Are you seeing signs of vitamin deficits? Or is it simply because he's getting old that you think he needs something extra?

If you are concerned, I would ask the vet to do a blood panel to see if he is lacking in any area, and if so, address that/those areas specifically. Just giving him extra vitamins, etc, isn't going to do any good if he isn't deficient in them. And sometimes too much of a vitamin can create a health issue.