Peeing and Pooping in the house Questions

Discussion in 'Miniature Pinscher' started by Lornmac, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Lornmac

Lornmac New Member

Name:
    Lauren

Peeing and Pooping in the house

I’ve got situation with my min pin mix. He’s about four years old. He pees and poops in the house. I can go into more detail but just for some context he’s peed twice on my husbands side of the bed in the last week. Recently peed on our couch and brand new slip covered chair. We have a fully fenced yard with a wide open back door (on nice days)and doggie door on others. We have two other dogs as well. No house training issues for either. Any recommendations? He seems to be doing this on purpose.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    This type of behavior is usually a sign of stress or illness. The first thing is to take him to the vet and make sure there are no medical issues.

If his medical checks out, then you need to look for stress triggers.

You don't say how long you've had him - if less than 6 months, then he may not feel comfortablein your household yet.

There may have been another pet move in or depart. There may be a schedule change for the humans. And so on.

I suggest at this point, you put him on apotty schedule. Don't leave it to him to go when he needs. Actively take him outside and make sure he does his business. Because he's had accidents, I would start out by taking him out every hour. As he no longer has accidents, you can extend that time frame in hourly increments every 1-2 weeks, but don't go longer than 4 hours without an active potty break (meaning you go out with him).

In addition, if he has an accident do NOT yell at, punish, reprimand him, etc. Just clean it up and move on. All those things do is increase his accidents.

When he does potty outside, praise him like he just played the cello. And then praise him some more.

Also, a change in weather can be enough for a dog to have accidents. Many dogs just don't like to pee and/or poop outside in the cold, rain, snow, etc. So, again, you want to actively take them outside and make sure they've done all their business before coming back inside.

As for him "doing it on purpose", get that out of your head. It does no good in stopping the behavior. He isn't doing it to make you mad or to get even. He just doesn't understand your rules. Remember, dogs don't instinctively know to go outside to potty. It's up to you to teach them. Simply opening a door doesn't have any special meaning to him.
  4. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    It sounds like marking to me (although definitely rule out the medical)

The places he is going is where human scent is strongest so it sounds like he is overmarking those areas to feel part of them
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I wonder whether this could be territory marking? My 5 year old girl wet her bedding approximately twice a month for the first six months after she moved here. Not a huge wee - only about 30 mls or so, but exasperating when you have just put down fresh bedding!
    This didn't affect my bed or the furniture as I don't allow my dog in bed, (her bed is next to mine, but it is on the floor). Similarly, though I let her sit on my knee, I don't let her use our furniture - she has another furry memory foam bed in the living room.
    The point of all this is that the area is limited to one which is easily cleaned, and is not where humans need to sit or lie. I can't say when, but I'm glad to say that the behaviour has gradually phased itself out.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    If it were just peeing, I'd be more inclined to agree with marking. But dogs rarely mark with feces. Marking is normally pee only. And it wouldn't JUST be on flat surfaces like on the bed or on the couch or on the chair. And it would most likely happen around where the other dogs are sleeping, etc, not just where human scents are strongest.
  7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    @CaroleC do you think Tally's peeing (I'm assuming you are speaking of her) might have been due to her having had a litter not long before moving in with you? Maybe her bladder muscles were weakened due to the pregnancy and birthing and just needed time to strengthen back up.
  8. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    I've had two dogs that have marked using 'poo', but, luckily, only outdoors :)
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I've known a couple dogs who did, but it's rare enough that I wouldn't consider it before first ruling out a medical issue and/or stress related cause.
  10. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Rule of thumb - don't rule anything in before ruling medical issues out
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Medical issues are absolutely the first thing to check. Rule that out and start an active supervised potty schedule. While on the new schedule, the OP can look at potential stressors (new to home, changes in the household, etc). If no stressors, then it could be marking.

But from the wording of the OP, I would guess he is new to their home. And to me, that suggests he is stressed.

If so, it could be that he was punished for accidents or used pee pads in his previous home. Pee pads are very common sources for accidents. They are soft and "fabric-like" and dogs often have difficulty differentiating between "pee pad - OK" and "rug, clothes, blankets, etc - bad". Move him into a home with no rugs and he may choose beds and couches because he's been taught to only go on soft surfaces (eg pee pads).
  12. nancykellie21

nancykellie21 New Member

Name:
    nancy
    Helidale likes this.
    A similar situation happened to me when my dog was urinating and defecating simultaneously, and I got worried. But later, the issue was resolved.

I'm sorry to hear about the challenges you're facing with your min pin mix. It can be frustrating when a well-trained dog starts exhibiting inappropriate behavior. There could be various reasons behind this change in behavior, and it's essential to consider both medical and behavioral factors.

Firstly, it's crucial to rule out any potential medical issues that might be causing your dog to urinate inappropriately. A visit to the vet can help rule out urinary tract infections or other health problems that may contribute to this behavior.

Assuming there are no medical issues, there are several behavioral considerations to explore:

1. Stress or Anxiety: Changes in the environment, routine, or even new furniture can sometimes trigger stress or anxiety in dogs. Identify any recent changes that might have affected your min pin mix.

2. Territorial Behavior: Marking, especially on your husband's side of the bed, could be a sign of territorial behavior. This can be intensified if there have been changes in the household dynamics or if there are new pets in the neighborhood.

3. Attention-Seeking: Dogs may act out to get attention, even if it's negative attention. Ensure your min pin mix is getting enough mental and physical stimulation, as boredom can lead to undesirable behavior.

4. Reinforce Positive Behavior: When your dog goes outside to relieve itself, praise and reward him. Positive reinforcement can help reinforce the desired behavior.

5. Clean Thoroughly: Make sure to clean any indoor accidents thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner. This helps eliminate any lingering scents that might attract your dog back to the same spot.

6. Consult a Professional Trainer or Behaviorist: If the issue persists, consider seeking the help of a professional dog trainer or behaviorist. They can assess the situation more closely and provide tailored advice based on your dog's specific behavior.
    Remember, patience is key when addressing behavioral issues in dogs. It might take some time to identify the underlying cause and implement changes effectively. If the problem persists, consulting with a professional can offer valuable insights and guidance.