Blue Healer - Tate (summer loose stools) Diet

Discussion in 'Australian Cattle Dog' started by Tate the Blue Healer, Jun 5, 2023.

1. Tate the Blue Healer

Tate the Blue Healer New Member

Name:
    Bill

Blue Healer - Tate (summer loose stools)

I need some suggestions for our 4 1/2 year old Healer by the name of Tate. She is 35 lbs. and fit as a fiddle. Last summer she started to have loose stools at around this same time and after multiple visits to the vet, nothing was concluded. Below are the steps we have taken.

1. Went on a chicken and rice diet for WAY to long last summer.
    2. Eventually changed food to a more fiber enriched diet with the Iams Health Weight.
    3. After some time, the loose stool issue went away, but it was after the summer and a ton of chicken and rice.
    4. We have not run a blood work test because are stupidly expensive and after several visits we well dragged that out and finally decided not to.

We thought we solved the problem with the switch in food but yet again the loose stools are back - same time as last year. I strongly believe this has something to do with this time of year / heat / allergies. BTW our backyard is majority synthetic turf and no plants that she is getting into. Same for inside the house, no plants or strange food she is getting into.
    We are at a loss. Could it be allergies? The heat effecting her digestive system somehow? Have any other healer owners experienced this with theirs?

Attached Files:

• tate.jpg
      tate.jpg
      File size:
      138.9 KB
      Views:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    It could be any of the above or something else.

I really recommend a bloodwork panel to rule out anything internal.

You mention heat. Loose stools is a sign of dehydration. So an easy check is to note her water intake each day and try increasing it.
  4. Tate the Blue Healer

Name:
    Bill
    Thank you. Bloodwork panel is probably going to have to happen.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Just a thought, but spring and summer is when plants start to come to life. While your garden is synthetic, could your lad be grazing while out on his walks?
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Aww she's lovely.
    I also think you will need to have a blood test, if only to exclude the possibilities. If the problem is due to an allergic reaction I don't think it will show at a blood test though. I used to have a Collie that had a seasonal hot-spot, and my current Beagle girl licks at one front paw. I wonder whether an anti-histamine would work for an internal reaction?
    Alternatively. Could it be that your Heeler has less opportunity to self-medicate by grazing? My Beag eats a lot of grass in the spring - and she doesn't vomit it back.
    Following on the natural theme, have you ever tried feeding a raw food diet? More messy than a bag or a can, but it might be worth a month's trial.
  7. Tate the Blue Healer

Name:
    Bill
    Thank you. I think an anti-histamine might help. I’m sure she won’t show anything in the blood work because she healthy and this is following the same symptoms as last summer. I’ll have to research the raw food idea. I have a feeling this is a body temperature thing and it might be natural but it’s nasty and messy to pick up.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I had a rescue shepherd who was very succeptible to heat. Even less than a 1/2 hour outside and she was sick.

So, you might trying to limit her outside visits to a few minutes for potty time and keep her inside the rest of the time. Don't let her out at all during the worst heat of the day.
  9. Teddy da Bear

Teddy da Bear New Member

Name:
    Mitch
    I've got a strange situation.
    My solution might help?

I have 5 dogs of various breeds including my red heeler Maybellene.

3 smaller dogs get dry dog food soaked in water.

Red heeler and rough collie get dry food and no water mixed.

This makes no sense.....

If I give my red heeler and collie water with their food ? They get instant diarrhea.

Makes no sense because after eating they get a drink after. It all mixes in the tummy.

I do this. Don't understand it, but this is how I do it.