2 irish staffy bitches - what to expect? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by jenks, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    First off an "Irish Stafford" is not a breed it's a breed type.

As with all dogs some get along some don't,but two bitches of the same age,could spell disaster.
    I had two SBT bitches who had been brought up together,played together,slept together etc...They out of the blue challenged each other and if we hadn't been there to part them they would have killed each other and I'm not joking!

As said in this thread I can't believe the Breeder :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. horses01466

horses01466 New Member

Name:
    sonya
    I dont think its impossible
    it can work, when you give them time, and train them , so they know whats allowed and not...
    I have two boxer sibblings, ok, they are not staffs, but they have just been re united at 2 and a half years old.. they love eachother.....:grin:
  4. sbt4eva

sbt4eva New Member

Name:
    tracie
    have to agree with posts above tbh.staffies crave human company and i know myself havin 2 under a year old(m/f) that they have a real stubborn streak and wil need you to be as they say "pack leader".as already said cant understand how the breeder allowed you to have them.also staffies in general hate the cold/rain and are the wrong breed for keepin outside.everything cud be fine while their pups but can/will change as they reach sexual maturity.dominence issues happen in any dog but with staffys if it kicks of you wil have a job seperating them,so just always be aware wat breed they are and expect the unexpected and NEVER leave them together unsupervised.
  5. cava14una

cava14una New Member

Name:
    Anne

Until the day they don't:cry:
  6. jenks

jenks New Member

Name:
    colin
    hi all taken sky and roxy the vets for secound injection and micro chip asked vet if there will be much fighting between the two siblings he said only as much as two other dogs cuming together and just keep an eye on them. but he has had 2 labs for 8 years who r sisters and not had any trouble with them.
  7. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Sorry but I would say that's piffle :001:

Two sisters will fight more than 2 brothers, or any 2 other dogs, which many here will tell you.

Also (no offence to any Lab owners) but Labs are far removed from your breed and many others that still have many inherant pack instincts.

If my vet said that to me, I would be seeking a new one :001:
  8. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    I am afraid that vets are not very good at animal behavioural questions they are trained to recognize health problems and deal with them, they rarely have the sort of experience that breeders have of behavioural problems of a particular breed or breeds in general. Lets face it they are never at home enough to understand a particular species in depth unless they are that rare creature a dog breeder/vet don’t mean an odd litter but a proper breeder who has studded the breeds lines and knows without thinking the traits and faults of any dog the moment they hear its name.
  9. Colin

Colin

Name:
    Colin
    I'm sorry mate, but if your vet tells you that sort of information then you really should be looking for a different vet.

To try and compare a staffie with a lab is just stupid if you ask me.

That's like trying to compare a pair of dobes with a pair of poodles. Yes they are both dog breeds, but they both have totally different breed characteristics.

As I said in post 6, for you to stand any chance of maintaining a healthy relationship between those two you have got to get them spayed as soon as possible, because as soon as they become sexual mature you will find that there tendency to be dominant will start to come to the forefront and the very last thing you want are those two fighting each other.

Not only do they have a high capability of causing major harm to each other, but with a bite force of 200+lbs each, you wouldn't even be able to release their jaws.
  10. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    Hi Jenks, I haven't posted on here for a while, nice to see everyone again! firstly I have, what you might call, an Irish Staff. Although, from constant research, over the past two years I have come to the conclusion that there is no such breed as an Irish Staff!, Romany staff, or an Old tyme staff! They are all just Staffs! Plain and simple. The terms Irish, Romany, and old tyme staffs are just that, Terms! The breed name is Staffordshire bull terrier. As far as getting two bitches from the same litter! Well the breeder (peddler) should be shot! Yes you where stupid for doing this, but as you said you’ve done it now! My advice would be to get rid of one of the bitches before they have the chance to kill one another, and maybe hurt a family member in the process, because that WOULD be your fault! Please don’t keep them outside! Staffs are such a good family dog they just love to be around people 24 - 7! Don’t lock them up outside this, in it’s self, could cause you behavioural problems further on down the road. You’ve made the mistake but you do have a chance to correct it now, sell on one of the bitches, bring them inside, and love um loads! You’ll reap the rewards later.

Hope this helps mate and good luck :)
  11. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Aren't Irish staffs Pit Bulls?
  12. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:

dont know - but i know of people trying to cover pits up by calling them irish staffs - but i wouldnt go as far as saying irish staffs are pit bulls

just to add to this thread - we had 2 bitches together one was 9 the other was just over 1

they regularly came to blows - 2wice we had major scraps - in frount of us - they were never ever left alone together - only the bitch and dog who had literally grown up otgether - and i can honestly say hand on heart they would never fight to the death

the bitches would without a doubt..... because one was an up and coming wannabe top dog - the other was the top bitch which had astroke - fighting for her place at the top......

imo id never have 2 bitches with fieery tempraments together again - tbh..... but i know my dogs so with millie - id have a dog in future....
  13. Jackie

Jackie Member

Name:
    Jackie

Sorry but you are wrong, Irish Staff/Old tyme Staff/Romany staff, are all staffy "TYPE" , they are usually Xbreeds.......anf not to be confused with the "Staffordshire Bull Terrier" a SBT is a pure bred pedigree dog, not a Xbreed or a "type"

Yes sadly, just another name to hide the "pitbull" or pit X behind.
  14. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    They are more often than not bred to the old first standard for the SBT,they reckon there fitter and healthier than the SBT,alot don't breed to any particular standard,the SIBTC and the IKC have breed standards on there registry pages,it's not that different to the standard for the SBT,yet most of these dogs don't conform to any standard,or look anything like the breed they are supposed to resemble.:roll:
  15. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    Oh dear, I wouldn't want to chance it tbh I think you'd be better off rehoming one of them. Your call.
  16. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    I'm not wrong my friend, it's my opinion, and I'm Entitled to it! Firstly my Staff or Irish staff , as some may call her, has over 30 years of breeding behind her no other breeds have been used just staffs. The reason she isn’t KC reg’ is because the breeder stopped registering his dogs about 20 years ago because he was breeding outside the standard, in his words “keeping the dogs true” now I’m not saying that is true of every dog with the above mentioned names, but who are we to judge dogs of whom we have no knowledge.
    you also state, matter of fact, that Irish stafs are pitbulls! is this just your oppion or are you trying to say that this is a fact! because if it's the latter then I have to tell you that you, on this Occasion, are wrong! The name Irish staff has been used to cover up pits and pit x’s by the dog fighting scum! but I don’t think you can go around saying all tall Staffs are pit bulls! that’s just stupid!:shock: It’s like saying all scousers are thief’s or everybody in Scotland is tight with his money! Or that all black people have rhythm I know that ones not true because my mate Shaun can’t dance to save his life!:grin:
    please don't take Offence this is only a discussion!:grin:

oh sorry and just to add if Irish Staff/Old tyme Staff/Romany staff, are all staffy "TYPE" how can they be pitbulls as well! 8)

just to get back on track here. please mate sell on one of the bitches and keep the dogs inside as a part of your family! you'll have a friend for life!
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  17. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    30yrs? Thats hardly a long time is it? What? 3/4 generations?
  18. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Keeping the dogs true??

True to what exactly?
  19. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    True to the breed I Suppose! His words not mine!:roll:

He had been breeding from her lines for 30 years the dogs didn’t just pop out of thin air, and 30 years could potentially hold 15 generations if a bitch from each litter was breed at the age of two! ( I’m not saying that’s what he did lol) So 30 years is a long time, but all I was trying to show is that not all none KC staffs are just x breeds and don’t forget 20 years ago dogs from this line where still KC reg.

3 or 4 generations in 30 years!! lol do you breed dogs at 7 - 10 years old lol more like 7 - 10 generations!

anyway this thread isn't about this is it! the "what is a staff" debate! it's about someone who made a Mistake and now wants some advice! So lets get back to doing that eh!:grin:

offence?? none ment and none taken ;-)
  20. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    YEs plenty of people will breed from a 7yr old bitch, and dogs can be used at stud at 12!!
  21. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    So how can you breed true when breeding away from the standard with none registered dogs? :roll: