2 irish staffy bitches - what to expect? Discussions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by jenks, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    And that's the biggest problem assuming,so because a dog has the same DNA or similar it has been used for fighting and is a pitt,what a load of rubbish,wonder what they will think of next!!! :roll: :roll:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. jenks

jenks New Member

Name:
    colin
    hw they do it is they have swab and blood samples of loads of different dogs take 1 of yours and compare them good if u have a dog with more than 1 breed in it and you wnt to no wot it is
  4. Sarah27

Sarah27 New Member

Name:
    Edna
    Our foster dog was accused of being a pit bull this evening on our walk. This lad walking his two dogs said 'She's a pit bull, they're vicious!'. I laughed and said 'She's a staffy and she's soft as muck!' :roll:
  5. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Thats the problem...people in the street, park, the general public dont have a clue about what a pitbull terrier is???
    Like I said before.. they see any medium to large dog with a big or biggish head and think its a pitbull.
    They think breeds like staffordshires, american bulldogs, presa's, crosa's, bull terriers eg or any type of crosses are pitbulls!
    They havent got a clue and its just ignorance to think any dog that is big with a big head is a pitbull!
    Alot of it is to do with the media and lack of education,
    how many time has there been a head line about a pitbull attack and on the same page a picture of a staffy or a american bulldog!
    Thats misleading, not the truth, and not fair!
    I remember I saw on the new a rottie that bite a lady in a kennel and they showed a video of two staffies play fighting!
    Alot of that has to do with it...people are given the wrong information all the time!
    p.s Im not trying to use rotties as a scape goat...I love them, but it did happen on the news and Im just using it as an example of the way the media misinforms people!
  6. Sal

Sal New Member

Name:
    sally
    Totally agree,we've had our Tyler called a pitt and when we said no he was a SBT they asked if we were sure and knew his breeding .There information was based on coat colour :shock: :roll:
  7. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    So stupid!
    You can see hes a true staffy and a beautiful one at that!!!!
  8. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Regarding the Police, most Stations don't or wont fund a Chipping Scanner to scan stray dogs for a chip, so how can anyone expect them to fund DNA testing ?!

Breed can be determined by DNA testing, although at the moment I believe they only have 101 (or thereabouts) Breeds.
  9. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    This is true. Scanners can cost under £100 now, yet most police stations dont have them.
  10. zoeybeau1

zoeybeau1

Name:
    Toni
    Would you belive it our Rocky was accused of being a Pitbul, he is a bred though and through boxer.xxzbxx
  11. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    this maybe true in the US but it is very inaccurate at the moment and hasn't ever been used in this country by the police, or prob' ever will be! well not in the near future anyway!
  12. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    It's been around for some time in the US and the accuracy was 99% back in 2004, so hardly inaccurate !

It has been used in this Country a few times and was accurate in defining several crossbreeds. As far as I know it was used at the expense of the owners in Court cases.
  13. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    99% back in 2004!!!! mmm not to sure about that, but tests were carried out in july of 2007 and the results were all over the place! so much so that it made the mainstream news up and down the US because this DNA testing system had been used in BSL cases and had now been proved inaccurate. it all depends on the report you read I surposse.
  14. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci

It's been a while since I posted but anyway, I'll get back on topic...'Irish' Staffs..

Well a friend of ours recently brought a blue Irish Staff puppy (lovely little pup) at a reasonable price too ;)
    Anyways out of interest I asked to see the pups papers and was amazed to see most of the dogs within the pedigree are infact K.C registered Staffords, so either the papers are forged (which I doubt) or they have a reasonably well bred dog 'Irish' Stafford clear by birth of some health defects that has just been bred outside of the K.C standard.
    For a couple of years I always thought these were either crossbred dogs or dogs named 'Irish' to cover up the term 'PitBull' - how wrong was I?
    Looks like I have a lot of humble pie to eat and lots of apologies to hand out to folk I didn't disbelieve, just found things hard to believe ;)
    Still researching some of the pedigree, so far 'so good' though most of the dogs as I say are K.C registered Staffs, I'll let you know what I found when I've finished all the reasearch.
  15. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Thats what I mean...people are so misinformed or and dont have a clue, they will call anything a pitbull!:roll:
    Its a joke really!
    Whats next walking down the road with a bichon.."thats a pitbull aint it!" :roll:
    STUPIDNESS!!!!
  16. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/21/s...&en=6b49c839cde80d81&ei=5007&partner=USERLAND

I have other links, but I'm not arguing about it........ you're clearly not open to any other suggestions, so I'll leave it there.
  17. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    It's not that I'm not open to anything else! it's just as I said "It all depends on what study you read" it's always been that way. Findings can be Interpreted in different ways by different people.;-)
  18. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    Findings can only be interpreted differently if they suggest different things !

These findings from the most respected Genetisists in the World agree that back in 2004, canine breed DNA was 99% accurate.
  19. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    well it that case it's not me who isn't open to anything else is it!:grin:

I would be very interested to read the full report if you have a link! (I can't find one) thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2008
  20. Malady

Malady

Name:
    T
    You are only going on your own opinion......... these world respected genetisists are going on years of detailed genetic research !! I fail to see why that makes them not open to suggestion and I would favour actual research over opinion with no research !
  21. sky_high_bluest

Name:
    dave
    It's not just my opinion! It caused major uproar in the Sates as the test had been used in BSL cases and after an indipendent study were found to be less accurate than first thought. . . . . . . but I would love to read the paper you are quoteing as I am very interested in this subject.:)