2 male terriers?? Discussions

Discussion in 'Terrier Forum' started by STGSD, Jul 18, 2011.

1. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah

2 male terriers??

My parents have an 8yr old male, un-neutered Border Terrier and have met a young male Stafford at a rescue (neutered). They went for a walk, the two dogs apparently seemed fine together. Home check is booked but my Mum has just called me saying they're worried as my Dad read on dogs trust website or somet things like you shouldn't have 2 bitches, should get different breeds, 1 small, 1 larger (I think b******s!) but what worried them is it said you shouldn't have 2 terriers together. I think its nonsense but said i'd get your opinions if you'd be so kind!

This Staff seems like a real sweetie and ideal for them, he isn't much bigger than their BT. It's only natural for them to worry but I'd hate for them to back out of it cos something they read has made them paranoid! I think they'd regret it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    Terriers can have a tendency to scrap and get off on it.

Having two males or two females can be tricky, but not impossible, neutered or not.

Size is not really an issue.

Do both dogs get on with other dogs ok?
  4. STGSD

STGSD New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Yes, the Border always wanted to say hello to every dog, just really excited and friendly, now he has settled he doesn't take much notice of other dogs, likes smaller dogs, he doesn't like big dark coloured dogs esp labs as he has been attacked by them on several occasions but he is already coming round to my Rott.

The Stafford is named Blackie 4th dog down on this page.. http://www.woodsidesanctuary.org.uk/Takemehome/Dogs/tabid/150/Default.aspx

Thanks.
  5. Sara

Sara New Member

Name:
    Sara
    People have 2 terriers together all the time. with no issue. It depends on individual dogs, not a blanket statement. Ollie's best buddy was a male Pit bull only a year older than he is... no fights, just high speed, rough and tumble races and wrestling matches!
  6. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    I have 2 entire male Borders together, no problems have had 3, no problems. My friend has a stafford and a Border no problems, both male.
  7. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    OK I am going to play devils advocate here.

Blackie is a Stafford Cross so unless he is a stafford crossed with an other terrier you may be lucky and find his terrier is less pronouced.

I keep terriers Lakelands, Welsh and Staffords, male and female.

Generally there are few issues but males can get edgy with each other when the females are in season and they want to take ownership of the girls.

Some of my dogs I could leave together when I am out but I don't.

They are all seperated if I am not home because a scrap between terriers can be a very serious affair if there is no one there to break it up it. That goes for all of them both male and female.
  8. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    IMO it depends more on the temperament of the dogs than the breed.
    A friend has 3 terriers and they`re fine.
  9. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    They may be fine together but what happens if they are not?
  10. tillytheterrier

tillytheterrier New Member

Name:
    Gerri
    I think it depends on the dogs. We had Tilly then adopted Gracie who was a couple of years older and only just been neutered. One terrier X and one staffie X. Both bitches. Never had a problem from the day she came home. Maybe they should have the staffie on trial and let the dogs decide! :grin: