7 months old portie Behaviour

Discussion in 'Portuguese Water Dog' started by Kay87, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Kay87

Kay87 New Member

Name:
    Kayleigh

7 months old portie

Hi
    I have a 7th month old portie called Lola. She is lovely and has an amazing little personality. We have had dogs all our lives and we fully did our research before considering getting her.

I am after some advice. The only issue we are having is the biting (we knew this about the breed before we got her). We have been trying to incourage her to play with a toy when she gets excited or greats us, either when we get home or someone comes to the house. But this doesn't seem to be working. Also she isn't very toy orientated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Oak

Oak New Member

Name:
    Connie
    I'm sorry, I don't have a great advice but wanted to say that we are experiencing the same challenge with our 10 month old pwd. She is sweet and smart, but the mouthing/nipping/biting has been stressful. Our pup does like toys and we try to have a toy in hand at all times, but sometimes she still goes for body parts. I found that chew toys or edible bones help some but she needs a great variety. If I give her 2 of the same kind of chew bone in the same week she is unimpressed.
    Please let me know if you discover any good techniques. We love her but the nipping has been really tough to manage especially for our 7 year old twins.
  4. Kay87

Kay87 New Member

Name:
    Kayleigh
    Hi Oak.
    Lola is 9months old now and we ended up getting a behaviourist in to help us. He advised us to stopping using the word no and when she does the mouthing to do a firm ahh!! Lean slightly over her, shoulders back, with a stern face (hope that makes sense). Seems to be working with some members of the family. But the ones that let her get away with more and don't say ahh! as firmly are still getting bit. He also advised to do 20 mins a day of sit, stay, come training with specific hand signal for each. When she does what you ask say good girl and if she goes to move from the sit say ahh and then make her go back to sit so she knows she is wrong. I hope this kinda helps. I know how frustrating this can be. We have cut her walks down to no more than 40mins morning and night because any longer than that makes her over tired and she goes crazy. We then let her sleep and play in the day. We give her an antler in the evening to chew which so far really calms her down. Xx