8 month old GSP "marking" Questions

Discussion in 'German Shorthaired Pointer' started by Fawn, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Fawn

Fawn New Member

Name:
    Fawn

8 month old GSP "marking"

Hi guys!

I just have a quick question for ya's. If you can give me some advice and tips, that would be fantastic.

I have an 8 month old GSP male. For the last month, I noticed him lift his leg to urinate on certain objects (mainly bushes, trees, etc.). However, I notice it coming into the house. It won't necessarily be our home, but when I visit another persons home, who owns a dog, my GSP will urinate. It's as though he is "marking his spot". He will dribble everywhere while walking around. For ex: just earlier today, we were back at my moms house. He was outside playing and he peed numerous times, including right before he came into the house. But once he came in, he would be walking around, whining, sniffing, and dribbling everywhere.

I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar issue such as this. Would this be behavioural, or perhaps should we look into getting him fixed very soon?. When we first got our pup and we went to the vet, the vet recommended we wait a year.. and when reading stuff online it says both "the longer you wait the better as it prevents health problems" and others saying "once he marks, it's time for a snip!"

If you guys have any advice please let me know!

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I am not against neutering in any way but it’s not the answer for all problems.
    For some reason, people associate lots of problem behavior with a dog being intact, that's not always the case.
    Neutering might help reduce the urge to mark, but there's no guarantee.
    If you must have him neutered id wait until he is at least 2yrs old.

I would keep him on a lead when you go visiting that way he won’t have the opportunity to mark without you catching him and quickly taking him outside.