9 month old pup pulling Training

Discussion in 'Border Collie' started by Potatoes70, Nov 2, 2023.

1. Potatoes70

Potatoes70 New Member

Name:
    Michelle

9 month old pup pulling

I have a 9-month-old BC pup who is still in training but has a lot of pulling problems

the things I have tried are

stopping when she pulls til she returns to me

dropping treats behind me

Gently tugging to correct her

walking the other way if she pulls forward

any suggestions?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    You seem to be doing all the right things but she is at a headstrong age - they really do try your patience. I have had some success using a double-ended lead with one clip attached to the collar, (or harness), and the other to a headcollar. Try to balance the tension between both points - like you would do with a double rein on a horse. You can begin to relax the lead to the headcollar as she gets used to walking at your speed.
    Don't forget that your voice is a valuable aid too. Use a low tone for control but raise your tone to let her know that she is so clever when she tries to get it right. Put lots of different turns into your training sessions so she learns to watch you for a change of direction.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    CaroleC likes this.
    I would also try giving her "dog time" first. Let her get her sniffs in and explore for a bit before you start with the training.

Even now, when we get out of the car, my Tornado-dog is hyped up. So before I expect him to walk politely, I try to give him some play time. We just walk around the car and he gets to sniff and lead all he wants for a couple minutes. THEN it's time to heel and pay attention.
  5. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
    CaroleC likes this.
    Can I ask, have you tried all the training so far one thing at a time? If so, try combining them. That often works. Carole's suggestion is good too. Headcollars can be an effective training aid when used properly