A Merry Update Training

Discussion in 'Beagle' started by CaroleC, Sep 16, 2017.

1. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole

A Merry Update

Well, rather mixed results over the last couple of days.
    Merry's training has, (considering how late it was she started), been going quite well, and we are now able to have brief sessions off the lead. Yesterday, it all went wrong when, in exactly he same place as our disaster last year, she was again tempted by the rabbit warren which lies under a huge bank of brambles on the old railway cutting. I could hear her scuffling, and once I even caught sight of a hind leg, but would she come? No way. The brambles must have been three feet deep, and without a machete, there was absolutely no way of getting to her.
    I did a 100 yard dash, (if you can call a 75 year-old hobbling, a dash), to see if she had emerged on to the farm land above. No sign. Returned. Called, 'Merry, Cheese. Merry, Lunchtime ', in such a happy cheery voice - through gritted teeth. No response. A distant dog walker on the golf course responded, 'Not up here'.
    Oh dear, I got such an ear bashing from OH, it was our wedding anniversary and we were supposed to be going out for lunch. I decided we were just going to have to wait it out, and eventually it was a walker who called, 'She's over here', only about 20 yards away - and still in the warren under the brambles. She had come lower down the banking, but was still happy to hunt, and I had to reach in and yank her out through some pretty rugged thorns. Merry monster.
    What a difference a day makes. Today. I had arranged to have her first ever mock trial, tested in an unfamiliar location with strange jumps, and differently scented articles, and I have to say she performed far better than I expected. Her control round was rather good , though I did forget to take my dumbell! I have come home with a few points to work on, - some for her, and some mine, - but competing in Trials in 2018 is beginning look a real possibility - not bad for an eight year old show / brood bitch, so today she is Wonderful Merry.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Oh dear, but at least you eventually got her, and well done on her mock trials performance.

Belated Happy Anniversary to you and your OH - and as I think I missed your birthday, belated Happy Birthday to you - trying to catch me up eh? ! :D
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    Oh dear the trials and tribulations of owning dogs, considering her background and breed I think you’ve done wonders.
  5. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    I'm still finding little thorns stuck in her skin - they don't seem to bother her. We did get out for our 51st., just a little later than expected! Actually, not 75 till Thursday but thought it near enough.
  6. PaulainPoole

PaulainPoole New Member

Name:
    Paula
    CaroleC likes this.
    Happy anniversary to you and hope you get to go out for lunch another day. sounds like you have your hands full with merry and she forgot herself.