A 'Pugalier'...???! General Chat

Discussion in 'Pug' started by TabithaJ, Mar 6, 2011.

1. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

A 'Pugalier'...???!

Today at the park Dexter was saying hello to a small, very friendly dog. The dog was tiny, with a very small face but huge eyes.

I simply could not work out the breed and so asked the owner.

'He's a Pugalier', he replied, beaming. Upon seeing my bemused expression he elaborated: 'He's a Pug / Cavalier King Charles Spaniel'.:shock:

Has anyone else come across this particular "breed" before...?

Is it just me or is it becoming increasingly absurd?

Sorry if I'm ranting a bit - I just get sooooo upset when I encounter these "designer breeds", when there are countless loving and lovable dogs in Rescues just crying out for caring new homes!

OK.
    Rant over.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Hope you told them there was no such thing, drives me insane as well.
  4. TabithaJ

TabithaJ New Member

Name:
    ownedbyayellowlab

I came very close to it but to be honest, I'd end up rowing with most my fellow dog owners because at this local park, the number of 'designer' dogs is ABSURD.
  5. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
    i have a cross breed but i dont go around calling him a
    bullmastaffy or what ever.
  6. malshichase

malshichase New Member

Name:
    Krysta
    Don't judge too quickly. I spent WEEKS, and I mean WEEKS, searching pounds up and down the Eastern coast of NC. There were tons of dogs, beautiful dogs, who were waiting for their new family. Unfortunately, because of our living situation, I needed a small dog... luckily, I found a girl who had a very attention hungry, Maltese x Shi Tzu pup, that she just couldn't take care of. So now, here I am with a, would-be pound dog, that a lot of people would assume I spent hundreds for, with a breeder...

I just wanted to throw that out there.
  7. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    It is exactly the same here...literally every other dog we come across is a 'designer' breed.
  8. morganstar

morganstar New Member

Name:
    Jacquie
    Just lets hope they dont end up in rescue in a few years when they realise the puppy they bought that was guaranteed to be healthier than the pedigrees its crossed from have double the amount of problems.
  9. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    That is fair enough, but part of what annoys me is the stupid names. If someone asked what breed your dog is, would you say the cross or 'malshi'?
  10. malshichase

malshichase New Member

Name:
    Krysta
    A mixture, i guess. If I'm actually speaking, I say maltese 8 shi tzu... If I'm typing, usually "malshi." Not bc I place more importance or consider one more correct or incorrect, just because... I guess I don't really care if someone says a "designer" name.. Its whatever to me.
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I met a "Jug" for the first time the other day on the park. Can't see myself why anyone would want to admit to having this name for their dog's so-called "breed"! (Jack Russell x Pug)

We see a lot of Poo-adors here, very common and all look different! Only one I've seen looks like it has the non-shedding Poodle coat so I just hope that the owners aren't allergic to dogs like I am.
  12. muttzrule

muttzrule New Member

Name:
    Rachael
    Oh dear, what a nightmare! I can just imagine all the proptosed eyeballs now....
  13. malshichase

malshichase New Member

Name:
    Krysta
    What is "proptosed?"
  14. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    so would you have had the same "problem" if the dog had been a pure bred?

I dont necessarily agree with some of the sillier crosses, (especially if they are not health tested) but then of course at some point all "breeds" were silly x's. Most breeds in their make up have others added in (for coat, ears, height etc)
  15. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum

Name:
    Sue
    The problem with that, is it sounds like several different combinations - Malamute x Shiba Inu or Malinois x Shih Tzu!
    If I was going to give the cross a name (and I probably wouldn't even if I had one!)I'd choose Maltzu as it's much more unambiguous!

I saw a ''Pugalier'' a few weeks ago, quite an attractive dog but I wish the owner has just called it a Cavalier x Pug - and I hope sincerely that the 'breeder' of it did a lot of testing first! I may be wrong but I think there is a heart condition that affects both breeds :(
  16. malshichase

malshichase New Member

Name:
    Krysta

LOL My goodness.. you guys don't give it a rest. I GOT IT, already. My point, first of all is, I don't care.. If someone asks me what kind of dog I have.. I say, "Maltese x Shi Tzu." If I'm typing.. I'll sometimes say Malshi... or Mal-Shi, or even Mal Shi... It's quicker. like OMG, WTF, GTFO... Thank you.

Lastly, this forum is way up tight.
  17. Loki's mum

Loki's mum Member

Name:
    Gill
    A neighbour of mine has a Pug x Cav that she got last week. He's seven months old, first owners bored of him. He'll have a great life now though. He's very cute, like a tall Pug, with slightly larger ears. I do wish people would stop breeding these dogs though, obviously sold to someone who thought he'd be a handbag dog, and he's a very energetic boy.
  18. lozzibear

lozzibear New Member

Name:
    Lauren
    But the majority of the breeds in existence (I wont say all coz someone will want to prove me wrong) today, were bred for a purpose, with a specific aim in mind… these ‘breeds’ are not, most often they are bred for money and are first crosses. I also really don’t think there is a need for more breeds, even if it was being done correctly.
  19. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    Ooo la la :shock: :lol:
  20. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Not true...Some of the the toy breeds were bred to be lap dogs

Eurasiers and Northern Inuit are the result of (fairly recent) x breeding!

If someone is x breeding for a purpose (ie Australian Labradoodle) and is using health testing, and is an ethical breeder, then I dont see a problem! (only thing I disagree with, is neutering of young pups) You may not think there is no need for more breeds, but if others disagree and think there is, is that a problem?
  21. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    no it isnt...try some of the mummy forums!