A quick NI-BI question

Discussion in 'Northern Inuit Dog' started by Jem, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Seelpup

Seelpup New Member

Name:
    trish
    Thanks for that Sansorella & Borderdawn . I did not know about the time scale thing you learn something new everyday:001:
    You have to admit the other health tests are equally as important as well .
    Addisons
    vwd
    Lets hope we see breeders letting owners & prospective owners know they do these tests to put their minds at rest.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Sansorrella

Sansorrella

Name:
    Sandra
    Thats all very true Dawn.

I am a bit uneasy about breeders who test for Addison's. It isn't proven that it is genetic - although the way it has followed certain lines in the NI I personally feel there is a genetic link.

It can be tested for - but a test will only show that a dog has Addison's disease at that point in time - and you will know by then because you will have a sick dog. So I don't really see the need for breeders to test for this, but I do think owners should be aware it is in the breed, as forewarned is forearmed and the vet can be told and it may save the life of a sick dog in the future.

I am DNA profiling all my breeding stock and every puppy - that way in the future there can be no doubt where each dog has come from and its pedigree etc. Its a pity this wasn't done in the beginning.