About to own a pomeranian Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Khalid Almehairi, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Khalid Almehairi

Khalid Almehairi New Member

Name:
    Khalid

About to own a pomeranian

hello guys,
    I am about to own a pomeranian but i need to know before doing a purchase, how can i tell if this is a mini pomeranian or standard one? The guy say it is a teacup 5months. I will post a picture of it. 2 colors

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka, GsdSlave and Chris B like this.
    I'm sorry but the UK Kennel Club breed standard does not use the terms mini, or teacup.
    The ideal weight for an adult Pomeranian male is 4 to 4.5 pounds.
    For an adult female it is 4.5 to 5.5 pounds. Although individual dogs may be either over or under these weights, the deliberate breeding down in size to achieve teacup sizes is not encouraged.
    I would always recommend buying a puppy directly from the breeder who will be able to let you view the puppy with its mother. This way you will have an indication of how your puppy is going to mature.
  4. Khalid Almehairi

Name:
    Khalid
    But in the case of a pet shop, they are not the breeders. Taking it to a vet will identify if this is a healthy breed?
  5. Khalid Almehairi

Name:
    Khalid
    The puppy is 5 months old according to the seller
  6. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Malka, Chris B and GsdSlave like this.
    I really can not recommend buying from a pet shop. In the UK there is a law in the process of being enacted, (Lucy's Law), which will ban the sale of puppies from third party sellers. I regret that I have no experience of how you would contact a private breeder in the UAE, but would strongly recommend you to buy from someone who has the interest of the breed at heart, rather than just profit.
  7. Khalid Almehairi

Name:
    Khalid
    Thank you
  8. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Hi,

I am not sure where you are located but in the US a "teacup" is also referred to as a "toy." The sizing goes teacup/toy, miniature, standard, and giant. We dont technically have a "teacup" specification here for poms because a miniture pom is a pom weighing 3-8lbs fully grown.(Legally breeders cant breed dogs purposely under 3lbs) I have seen them listed as "toys" or "teacups" because the sellers know they sell easier listed that way, but technically a teacup pom sold here is considered a mini pom. They are the same dog. I hope that helps a bit!
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Sorry, but I beg to differ.
    There is no scale of sizes for Poms. in the UK and the US the Pomeranian belongs to the Toy Group, and the desirable size is the size given in the breed standard. The AKC Standard does allow for the Pom to be a pound lighter than the UK KC standard, but neither standard suggests any graduation from Toy Pom, Mini Pom. Standard Pom, to Giant Pom - let alone the backyard breeder term of 'teacup'.
    The original poster appears to be located in Dubai, but I was not able to find a Kennel Club for the UAE, so am almost certain that the FCI classification of Group 5 e, (German Spitz Breeds), would be the one which would apply. This gives no weight, but suggests that an adult Pomeranian should be 20 cm, +/- 2 cm, (but the FCI Pom standard is nothing like as detailed as that of our KC or yours).
    The Pom is the smallest of the Spitz breeds, and though there was at one time an attempt to reintroduce the larger Victorian Pom, I have not heard any mention of this for several years, and the German Spitz, (Klein and Mittel), seem to have successfully filled this gap in the Spitz size range.
  10. KCRenee9149

KCRenee9149 New Member

Name:
    Casey
    Yes let me be more specific. In the US a "teacup" pom would be a dog that is 3-5 lbs full grown. However in our breeding standards the dog would still be considered a mini because mini poms range from 3-8lbs. Let me note that this is not for all breeds but the mini pom itself is considered 3-8lbs so the toy/teacup falls into this category.