Adding a new rough colllie puppy Questions

Discussion in 'Collie (Rough)' started by Laurie M, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Laurie M

Laurie M New Member

Name:
    Laurie

Adding a new rough colllie puppy

Hi everyone. I'm new here, and as you can probably guess, I have questions. I currently have my 3rd Rough Collie who just turned a year old. Both my previous collies were pedigreed and registered (and both the most wonderful dogs its possible to have!) and I lost both of them to bladder cancer, one at 12 and one at 13. Just too darn young to lose. So this time I intentionally got a purebred pup who's parents are working farm dogs hoping for stronger and healthier. I don't know why I'm surprised that what I ended up with is a farm dog! He's completely unlike my last two, personality more like a border collie and overly active (or completely destructive when he's not!) and I know he's bored to death. I've tried everything I can think of, 3 long off-leash walks a day, 2 days of doggie daycare every week, he's been to obedience classes and been neutered. And still, he's almost unmanageable. He's crazy about other dogs and puppies are his very favorite. So I've started looking into getting a puppy, and have a chance to take a 4 month old rc. The little puppy us a true rough collie natured dog, quiet and rarely barks, doesn't destroy things and just likes to play and have attention. I'd love to have him but I'm hesitating because I don't know if he'll be able to handle my crazy 1 year old. The puppy is from a different province, so trying it out for a few days isn't an option. Anyone been through a situation like this at all? Or have words of wisdom? I'd just forget about getting another, but my 1yr old needs more than I can give him, and a companion might just make his life a lot better.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. My bear Yoji

My bear Yoji Member

Name:
    Philippa
    Hi Laurie
    I’ve never done what you are planning, so, I can’t give any useful advice
    Your dog is still a pup & he will calm down ....eventually
    I think you are right to question your plans although I can understand your thinking. it’s great that you aren’t going into it lightly, for me it would be a harder decision that deciding to get a “ first “ dog
    It can work and does work as people on here will tell you.
    Do you have the extra time, patience and space ! I’m guessing things will get really lively for a while
    I don’t know if you are keen on the idea, but, If you did decide to get another pup I would recommend “ crate “ training it
    Again I’m not sure, but, i hope someone can advise you wether you should be looking to get a the dog or would a bitch make for a smoother passage !
    Philippa
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    CaroleC likes this.
    I don’t think getting another pup will solve the problem and could even make it worse, plus if your having problems with one dog, two is twice the work.

Physical exercise is not enough they need mental stimulation, there are lots of indoor/outdoor games/ training, he needs a job, there are lots of dog sports to choose from like agility, ect:
  5. agility collie mom

agility collie mom New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    Have you tried other venues such as nose work, herding, agility, tricks class, etc. Sounds like you have a very high drive intelligent dog who gets bored easily. Too much repetition with a smart dog doesn't work well. My blue merle girl Savannah is such a dog.