Advice on Shih Tzus General Chat

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by kimrogers09, May 29, 2013.

1. kimrogers09

kimrogers09 New Member

Name:
    kim

Advice on Shih Tzus

Hi all, have a 14 week old shih tzu x chihuahua pup. Have had 2 chihuahua crosses before but never any experience/knoiwledge of shih tzus. Can anyone tell me from experience etc what to typically expect from a shih tzu as i think this puppy ia going to be much more that breed inclined. The other 2 pups were very similar to each other behaviour wise so assume that was the chihuahua in them, this puppy is very, very different personality wise already to them. thanks X
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Their surprising, that's for sure. Quick to learn and very intelligent.Mine just always wanted to be with me,not one for wandering off,would always stay next to.Very laid back in nature.Gorgeous, but then I would say that!:grin:
  4. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Lovely little dogs and I've had two neighbours and one friend who owned them (and they get on famously with Cavaliers - well they did with mine).

One point I would mention is that ALL of them had problems with constipation - one quite serious and I was told that the breed is prone to this sort of gastro problem?
  5. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Can't say I had that with mine,thankfully:grin:
  6. kimrogers09

kimrogers09 New Member

Name:
    kim
    Mine has a pretty opposite problem tangutica, seems to wee and poo all day long! Mine is already the same Eileen for not wanting to be apart from me. Sticks to me like glue. She is really adaptable though. She will do anything i want to do, e.g. cuddle time, play, sit quietly etc. Just seem to fit in with me and what i want to do. Has a lovely nature but can be a bit timid. Came from a home where she had small children picking them up and poking them etc. Was so glad to be able to pick her up when old enough to get her out even though v nice lady. Maybe the kids frightened her of hands coming towards her as when go to pick her up quite often still cowes back a bit as if not knowing what will come next and will it be bad? Very bright as at 7 weeks old trained on her puppy pads within a day! Never used them before just a newspaper in the cage at breeders. I just wondered what the typical good/bads traits they tended to have. thanks all X
  7. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    All those I've known didn't have any 'bad' traits I can think of at all. In fact I thought they were quite similar to my Cavvy (she was quite feisty for a Cavvy) and definitely, like her, what I call a 'velcro dog' stuck to you night and day!

My minpin is what I'd call a 'like pole' dog and quite independent and not a bit clingy. Wish she was a bit more cuddly lapdogish sometimes!
  8. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    I'm sure she'll grow in confidence with you. Hand on heart,my little miss has never given me a days bother! Enjoy her x
  9. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    Your dog looks gorgeous in that piccie Eileen. Proper regal like on her cushion!
  10. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Princess on her throne, Thankyou.Will post some pics soon of Lacey and the tortoise.((((hugs))))for Bella:grin:
  11. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    I'd have to go and seek the independent little missy out to give her those cyber hugs! But when I had a neighbour man in here an hour or so ago doing some electrical odd jobs for me - she was ALL over him and of course barking at me for attention and treats. He went she went back to bed (my bed).

I'm going to try to post a link to two little vids I made earlier of her trying to catch lizards down at the lake! Apologies now for quality etc. I did not miss my calling as a film producer lol! I'd make even the worst one cry!
  12. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    VIDS!!!oh yes please:grin:
  13. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Hey Kim,
    Don't know if you've seen this but if you go into Dog breeds at the top of the page then chose utility group,you will find some good information on your Shih tzu, enjoy:grin:
  14. wmdm

wmdm New Member

Name:
    David
    Hi! I'm a new member here and we have had 3 Shih Tzu's. They have all been people dogs. They usually stick close to you except when we have company and then they kind of obsess over the new person. They have all been stubborn. My Ginger knows her name well but that doesn't she mean cares. LOL. 2 of our 3 Shih Tzu have been very playful. All 3 demanded more attention than other breeds I have owned. I have also had 2 Collies and 1 Sheltie and they have very different personalities. Ginger is my current Shih Tzu and I am her "human" or so she thinks. Anyway they really are a great breed. The American Shih Tzu Club has very good info posted online and I am sure there is a Shih Tzu Club in the UK that also has some very good info on the breed.

Have fun. Hope you are pleased as well.
  15. Tang

Tang New Member

Name:
    Pat
    What a lovely recommendation for the breed!
  16. Kanie

Kanie New Member

Name:
    Margaret
    All the ones I've met have been absolutely super little dogs. The funniest one was at an agility class. How owners were quite elderly and thought they would 'downsize' and get a toy dog. He was so into the agility, he just ignored them and went right round the course all by himself!

I think they are one of those 'under-appreciated' breeds: they've got quite a brain behind that coat!
  17. Lacey10

Lacey10 New Member

Name:
    Eileen
    Absolutely, not one bit slow:grin:
  18. Roxanne Yap

Roxanne Yap New Member

Name:
    roxie
    Azz likes this.
    My Fluffy is my first shih tzu. She's super sweet. Since she was still a pup, she loves to snuggle on my feet whenever I come back from work. She's also an intelligent dog. We didn't have to take her to obedience school and we did all the house training all by ourselves (with a lot of help from advice we got from the internet and of course from our personal experiences with our other dogs). I also loved the fact that we get to dress her up and pamper her. And I think she liked it too.