Alopecia X Questions

Discussion in 'Pomeranian' started by Michi, Apr 9, 2023.

1. Michi

Michi New Member

Name:
    Sarah Mazooni

Alopecia X

Hello everyone, my dog is diagnosed with alopecia X and so far I have paid $$$$ of money to all sorts of dermatologists and still I haven’t seen any results. I was wondering if any of pom parents here have ever dealt with this problem! I need an advice please, seeing my fur baby going through this and losing all his beautiful fur is heartbreaking

Attached Files:

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Not a Pom owner but how sad, the coat is such a big feature of the breed isn't it?
    I suspect that you have researched the condition quite well and will already know that it is thought to be caused by a faulty gene. I can see that you are already giving him skincare, and I imagine that you will have fluffy coats that he can wear for appearance and protection at exercise. I do hope that a cure will come, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it being very soon. Have you spoken to anyone from The American Pomeranian Club? Https://ampomclub.org There does appear to be fundraising for research underway. I would speak to either the Secretary or the Health Co-ordinator, they are likely to know the current stage of progress.
    I don't want to come over as dismissive but the little man inside the hair is still the same character and he won't be loving you any less. Good luck.
    Edit: Have you read this article? It is quite technical but might help.
    Journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=1
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2023
  4. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Timed out.
    This file seems locked but you can access it by Googling, What's Causing Alopecia in Pomeranians? The link is in an article in DVM360.
  5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Skin conditions are very very very difficult to correct. My akita had skin issues and all I could realistically do was keep him clean and bathed and protect him from the weather. As @CaroleC says, he was still the same loving boy inside.

I second the advice to contact American Pomeranian Club.
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    Thanks Toed. I never have mastered how to share secure links - just typing them out doesn't seem to work.
  8. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    Helidale likes this.
    No problem. You have to type the http:// (or https://) at the front to make it an actual link if there isn't a www. at the front.

So for the journal link, it has to have the https:// included to be a link.
    For the dvm360, it just needs the www.
  9. Helidale

Helidale Member

Name:
    Carole
    Toedtoes likes this.
    OK thanks. I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. I need to change my Gmail password too - I had better start a new thread!
  10. Alex shipley

Alex shipley New Member

Name:
    Alex Ellen
    Hello - The only products I have found that works is the Dermagic range…My Pom now has full hair! It took a little time but the products are natural and I saw results after a week or two. :0)