Alternative bulldog's ie(Dorset,Alapaha) Discussions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Murf, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    At a dog show last year, just after there was a lot of kerfuffle about "fit for function" the judge awarded best in show to a Bulldog that couldn't walk around the ring once without stopping for a rest. Don't see the attraction myself but horses for course I guess.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Would people specifically breed for fat unhealthy kids that have trouble breathing??? NO, so why breed dogs to be that way, it makes no sense to me.
  4. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    When out with one of my friends a while ago, who happens to be totally blind, a bulldog passed us, with all the noise it was making my friend asked me if it was snarling or something, I had to reply that no, it was infact just trying to breathe.:-(
  5. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Your right to put the sad face at the end, it is genuinely sad and upsetting to see.
  6. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    My own dog had no breathing problems whatsoever, but he did snore! But then again, so does my Cane Corso, Bullmastiff & my Dobermann...

Who says they can't swim, walk, run..I must be looking in all the wrong places....

Do you have a problem in general with certain types of dogs, as it weren't so long ago you said the same of Staffords, refering to them as ''fat little barrels''...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEkizk3eoCQ

Looks perfectly healthy to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSDDVGRyCIA

So does this one.

So much for them not being able to swim..:roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLczOGIBjHE

Dont feel sad, Bulldogs are generally viewed as couch potatoes because their owners allow them to be!
  7. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Only reffered to the staffords that are built like fat little barrels as fat little barrels, don't take my quotes out of context.

I love staffords, functionable ones anyway!! If the circumstances were right I would have got one a while back out of two outstanding examples of the breed. Could work all day, had perfect conformation, descent height and weight and spot on temps. Infact I'm real gutted I never took the pup.

I love all bullbreeds and all dogs but sadly I don't feel that way about british bulldogs or anything similar, or any breed bred to the extreme. They may be cute as pups and funny to be around but if they had their way you know they'd be built properly haha.
  8. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    But you could say some American Bulldogs aren't capable of doing the job they were bred for as some of those are bred to the absolute extreme, not fit for function - many actually going down the ''Bulldog'' route in looks and type, As much as I love American Bulldogs, I've seen some pretty bad ones! I wouldn't have another, but each to their own.

The Bulldog debate has been done to the absolute dealth everywhere - you either love em or hate em. Have to say it though, there are some cracking examples around right now capable of walking, running and swimming. You get what you put into them, if you allow them to be lazy, they will be!

But lets just get one thing straight..

You said

You've seen some amazing Irish Staffords, but refer to others as ''fat little barrels'' I've took nothing out of context. A blue Kennel Club registered Stafford (a well bred one) looks like any other well bred kennel club registered Stafford, so please don't insult my intelligence.

As for the debate here, it's regarding ''Alternative Bulldogs'' dogs which can complete any task you throw at them, I've owned these too :002: Cracking example he were too even if I do say myself, there will never be another bred the way he was, which is why I won't have another one ;-)
    If you want to see some cracking ''Alternative Bulldogs'' look on Gargoyles site, a few in the UK now so I am lead to believe.

http://gargoylebulldogs.com/GARGOY~1/Omenx.html

Now tell me again that a Bulldog (which looks to be exaggerated on the surface) cannot function properly.
  9. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I love the gargoyles ..
  10. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    But you are taking what I said out of context, When did I say all staffs are fat little barrels...??? I never, I said "I have also seen" Please don't insult your intelligence.

Also, I said I dislike any breed or dog bred to the extreme, the only point in doing such breedings is too make money and that's it.

I'v seen more messed up AB's than most, and guess why they're in such a bad state in the UK, because people tried breeding them to the extreme to make a quick buck giving not a ****e about health/structure/ability etc....and basically turnt them into big english bulldogs.
  11. Nicci_L

Nicci_L New Member

Name:
    Nicci
    If you want me to be politically correct then I can be. You seen some ''little fat blue barrel shaped staffords'' then went on to say ''that should have been culled at birth...''

If this isn't an insult to many, many Stafford owners I don't know what is, it's an insult to me and I don't own one. But then you have the gaul to insult Bulldogs, yet own an American Bulldog - which is another breed that has it's problems, ever heard of the saying ''put you're own house in order''?

To me a Bulldog, is a Bulldog no matter what the ''type'' makes no difference to me at all and I won't say one is ''better'' than the other when I've had experience of owing all types mentioned in this thread. Every breed has it's problems, there are good and bad in every breed, but I wouldn't ever turn round and say they shouldn't be bred, can't breathe, can't walk, can't you see it's been done, and gets you absolutely nowhere, people stop listening especially these dogs fanciers.

Unfortunately I don't make the rules, or set the standards, so if you genuinely have a problem with the way some breeds are bred or have a problem with the standards, stand up and be counted draft some emails off to the breed clubs - every opinion I would think would be considered, but whether or not anything would get done is another matter. ;-)
  12. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    I own a full standard bred AB, only a handfull in Europe let alone the UK, if I didn't have this dog I don't think I would have an AB right now I would have a well bred staff.

I will always say what I feel, that is the point of a debate...I don't like dogs bred to the extreme and that's it..If people don't agree then fine!!
  13. teenytiny

teenytiny New Member

Name:
    *sammy*
    Hmmmmm. I own several Bull breeds. I have 7 American Bulldogs, an Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, a British bulldog, an English Bull Terrier and a couple of crosses.

Firstly, I agree totally with nicci. A bulldog is a bulldog - end of.

Secondly, my Alapaha isn't a big slobbery bulldog that can't do anything :roll:

Thirdly, my British Bulldog will run round the field for over an hour... then come home and go out the back with my A.B X Staff and run around for a further hour or so. Yes, she breathes... yes she walks, yes she runs ????

My American Bulldogs... don't get me started on them :roll:

Oh, and my Alapaha was not born via c-section.... nor have any of the litters of American bulldogs we have bred...
  14. dougs85

dougs85 New Member

Name:
    Dougs
    sorry to go off topic for a minute but i have been doing some reasearch into antebellum bulldogs and was wondering what u guys thought of them?
  15. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    In its makeup includes the Dogo Argentino and AM staff so would never be legal in the uk .

I like the look ..
    Then again i would as i love both the look of the dogo's and the Alapaha bulldogs...
    [​IMG]
  16. tazer

tazer

Name:
    Tazer/Taz
    Like the look of that breed.

From what I understand of the DDA dogs are only illegal if they fit the physical description of type. As that is what the law bans, so technicly if they don't fit the physical description then there shouldn't be an issue.