Am I too old to get a puppy? Questions

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by FredSG, Mar 1, 2011.

1. FredSG

FredSG New Member

Name:
    Fred

Am I too old to get a puppy?

Hi,

Need your opinions, please. I am 67 and in very good health. I have owned Staffordshire Bull Terriers for the last 15 years, and currently own two. I am seriously thinking of purchasing a puppy. Am I too old to bring up another one? My current SBT are 12 years and 1 1/2 years old.

See my last thread on this site:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=138948

I'd appreciate your opinions.

Thanks,

FredSG
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. youngstevie

youngstevie

I have to say 67 can be a young age these days.
    However I sometimes wonder about this as illness can strike at any age and anytime.

Im sure you know yourself better than others, if you have a plan in place for someone to have the dog if anything happened to you maybe that would be a thought.....or perhaps you could rescue an older one that needs a loving home and you can still train

Best of luck with whatever you decide
  4. magpye

magpye New Member

Name:
    Taz
    67 doesn't sound old to me and certainly nt too old for a puppy... If you had said 87 then I would probably have said... older dog maybe best...

I would still recommend looking at rescues for puppys rather than a pup off the supermarket wall or even a breeder pup unless you plan to show, especially in your preferred breed. Mainly because there are just so many staffys and staffy cross puppies in rescue it would be a shame not to...

You can always then adjust your will to leave a donation to the rescue and trust the dog back to them with a no kill clause on the donation in case of the unexpected... I'm only 37 but I have a will and plan for the dogs on my computer just in case!
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    I think you know your own circumstances best. None of us know what the future will bring. If you can offer a dog a good home, go for it. :grin:
  6. Moonstone

Moonstone New Member

Name:
    S
    My parents are looking for another JRT to join the family, they have said this will be their last ever pup though,they're in their mid 60's. Both fit,healthy, and walk a lot each day.

I say go for it, you know your own circumstances better than anyone else, no one has a crystal ball about the future, and I think it is always wise for anyone regardless of age to have a back up plan for their dogs, should anything happen in the future.

Good luck , and post piccies if you decide to get your pup x x
  7. Tinglesnark

Tinglesnark New Member

Name:
    kristen
    i agree, 67 is not "old" as in elderly at all these days! I dont think of people being elderly until they reach their 80s, personally :) Go with your gut :D x
  8. Kerriebaby

Kerriebaby

Name:
    Claire or KB
    Go for it..you only live once!

If you make a clause in your will, and maybe have a back up plan in place then you can rest easy and enjoy the dog!

as you are retired, id dare say rescues would happily give you a dog!
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    It is not your age that is the issue it is your fitness and commitment that is.

I know people much OLDER than you that are competing at the highest level in Working Trials, Obedience and Schutzhund; so the answer is your age is not the overriding factor.

Nobody knows what tomorrow may bring, any of us at any age can drop dead from an undiagnosed medical condition, be diagnosed with a terminal diseae or be run over etc.

So, live life NOW!
  10. Rookgeordiegirl

Rookgeordiegirl New Member

Name:
    Jeanette
    Live for today ,my 70 yrold cousin in Canada has just taken ona 12 week old pup no one knows what round the next corner:grin:
  11. Velvetboxers

Velvetboxers New Member

Name:
    Helen
    60/70's not old these days - i'd say you are very capable so go for it :)
  12. suecurrie

suecurrie New Member

Name:
    Sue
    Agree with all the others. If you are fit then go for it. Didn't you know the 60's is the new 40's or whatever it is they say:mrgreen:
  13. Helena54

Helena54 New Member

Name:
    Helena
    If you feel fit and healthy now and lead an active life then why not! I walk with a lady most mornings who has a jrt puppy and I found out only yesterday that she is 75:shock: :shock: She knocks spots off me the way she steams up all our big hills first thing in the morning too!!!

then there's a lady up the road who recently lost her Corgi, and she's in her 80's, she had two new hips and she's now rescued an 8 yr old who she walks around the village twice a day!

You're never too old for a dog, but if I were 67 I think I'd opt for a middle aged rescue rather than a puppy, but then that's taking the more sensible route coz as others have said, you just never know what's around that corner. All the best in whichever route you take.
  14. labradork

labradork New Member

Name:
    labradork
    There is a chap near me who has a young Deerhound and a young Springer -- he is 80, but a very young and physically fit looking 80. I believe he wants a Border Terrier pup at some point, too. He also often looks after his daughters young German Shepherds and Basset Griffons...walking them all together.

67 isn't old...go for it!
  15. FredSG

FredSG New Member

Name:
    Fred
    Hello,

First of all, thanks so much for the birthday wishes.

I thought I'd post a photo of my three amigos. At the top of the photo is my 2 year old Sammy; in the middle is my newest Staffy Bull, Camille,5 months in the photo, but 8 months now, and at the bottom of the photo is my old girl Louise (Weezy), 12 1/2 years.

[​IMG]

Here is Camille at 8 month.

[​IMG]

Happy NEW YEAR to all.

FredSG
  16. Manyana13

Manyana13 New Member

Name:
    Maryann
    I wouldn't say that you are too old to take on a pup! If you can do it, then do it! I love the pics of your lot :)
  17. Tupacs2legs

Tupacs2legs New Member

Name:
    layla
    they are lovely fred :) .... has the pup made u feel older or younger ;-) :lol:
  18. FredSG

FredSG New Member

Name:
    Fred
    Tupacs2legs,

Not younger or older, just more involved in bringing up puppy and getting her to fit in with my other two Staffs without any problems.

Camille has taken to the couch like the other two and has learned to follow our daily routine pretty well. She is a gentle, sweet pup and she and Sammy have a "love affair" developing!

Its been a year since I lost my Staffy Mollie. She was my pride and joy - never left my side, and was always finding ways to make me laugh. I still think about her every day . . .

[​IMG]

FredSG