American bulldog or presa canario General Chat

Discussion in 'Presa Canario' started by dardar, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    That's OK Dardar, I just get defensive about it, as there are a lot of people around who spout off about AB's, and they have absolutely no idea about them at all. Anyhow a half decent AB is very very much like a rottie in temprement (only as I said they sulk more)
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren
    thanks sarah, as you said i am only looking for some help, if i was irresponsable i would'nt be on this forum, i would already have a mad uncontrolable AB or presa running around the garden. if everyone put as much thought into getting a dog as i have, the world would be a much better place for both human and dog.
  4. hades

hades New Member

Name:
    lexus
    Heres abit more info for you on AM bulldogs..

True grit. True devotion. True love. These tributes are used often to describe the American Bulldog -- a hardy, athletic, all-purpose working dog. The American Bulldog is a loving family companion, good with children and other pets, yet at the same time, fearlessly determined. It has been known to display heroic acts of courage in protecting its master. The American Bulldog has also been used to hunt everything from squirrel to bear, and has been trained to drive cattle and guard stock from predators. The American Bulldog should be evaluated as a working dog, and exaggerations or faults should be penalized in proportion to how much they interfere with the dogs ability to work.

History/Origin:
    Bulldogs in England were originally working dogs who drove and caught cattle and guarded their masters' property.
    Jem Burn's Cribb, around 1850 At one time, the breed was used in the grueling sport of bull baiting. With the outlawing of the sport in England in 1835, the original type of Bulldog disappeared from Britain and was replaced with the less athletic dog we now know as the English Bulldog. Yet the original Bulldog was preserved by immigrants who brought their working dogs with them to the American South. By the end of World War II, the last remnants of the working English Bulldog were disappearing in the U.S. Thanks to the breeding programs of John D. Johnson and Allen Scott, the breed was brought back from the brink of extinction. The American Bulldog was recognized by the United Kennel Club in 1999 in the rare, working class.

Height: Males: 22 - 27 inches; Females: 20 - 25 inches.

Weight: Male: 75 - 125 lbs.; Female: 60 - 100 lbs.

Colors:
    All white, pied, or up to 90% color; brindle or red patches (red is defined as any shade of tan, brown

Coat:
    The coat is short, close, and stiff to the touch.

Temperament:
    The essential characteristics of the American Bulldog are those which enable it to work as a hog and cattle catching dog, and a protector of personal property. These tasks require a powerful, agile, confident dog with a large head and powerful jaws. The American Bulldog is a gentle, loving family companion who is fearless enough to face an angry bull or a human intruder; Good with children; Good with pets

Care and Exercise:
    Brush coat with a firm bristle brush or rubber mitt and bathe only when necessary. Puppies should have early socialization.

Health Issues:
    A very healthy, hardy dog. Some strains have hip dysplasia.

American Bulldog Temperament
    American Bulldogs are typically happy, friendly, and assertive dogs. They are very at ease within a family and great with strangers once they get to know them.

American bulldogs are very fond of children, but at times do not realize their own strength. You should definately supervise any playtimes with children and American bulldogs, because on accident the dog may jump on the child or hurt the child.

American Bulldogs create a strong bond with their family, and therefore become very protective.

The breed needs a firm hand in control as they can sometimes have a dominant attitude. With constant training and socialization, starting early on, you can control this concern as with most other behavioral concerns.

American bulldogs can be stubborn and mischievous if they are not exercised enough. Because the dog does have a high energy drive, they need plenty of room to run and play.

You will need to socialize an American bulldog from a very young age this is so important, obediance class are very important as with any dog, but a dog of there strength and size needs to be under control at all times.
    They are highly sensitive to their owner's voice but can also be very stubborn. They need an owner that can take control of any dominance issues and implement a firm, fair and consistent training regime to raise a well-balanced family companion which, if done correctly, will be a joy to own and train.

There some good books you may like to read;
    1.American Bulldog (Comprehensive Owner's Guide)
    2.American Bulldogs by John Blackwell

Hope this helps helps on search for more info and keep us posted if or when you get your new dog.
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    Does this apply to service dogs like the GSDs the police use for instance? Or guide dogs? (sorry - OT but curious)
  6. CheekyChihuahua

CheekyChihuahua

Name:
    n/a

Hold on, I think you misunderstand me. Understandably, as many people are against the dogs you speak of being mixed with children - NOT ME THOUGH - deed not breed and all that:002: . I was merely saying that due to the size/weight of the dog you already own, might it not be nice for the children (as they are quite young) to have a smaller/less robust dog that they can maybe help in taking out on the lead with you (supervised of course) and training. I say this because many people that speak to me (I own and breed Chihuahuas) say that they would like a small dog, as their children generally find it difficult to help walk their large breed and so on.........in no way am I suggesting you get a Chi though:002:

Just threw the thought in for consideration. Certainly not a criticism:mrgreen:
  7. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    Just get an AB, If you get one from a good breeder you will never regret it EVER, I couldn't ask for anything more from mine.
  8. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren
    im sorry cheekychihuahua if i came across as been short with you, thats not my intention, as i said early'er i find it difficult expressing myself with writing, if i was to meet you tomorrow and talk to ye, you would never take me up wrong because i find it much easy'er to talk, so again im sorry if i come across that way i really dont mean to.
  9. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren
    thanks tera.
  10. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Hi dardar, i would get another stafford and regards AB breeders i reckon i could count decent one's on one hand.You pretty much know what you are getting with a Stafford where as i think its more of a gamble with an AB or a Presa and certainly harder to research the lineage...Cheers...Ian.
  11. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren
    thanks ian but im getting away from staffords because their on the list of breeds that have to be muzzled and on a lesh at all times in public, for that reason i wont get another one.
  12. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Sorry mate ,its only after re reading the thread i see you are in Dublin and i know the laws that have to be adhered too there.
    I own a male AB who is 8 at his next birthday and also a couple of female Dorset Olde Tyme Bulldogges [5 and 1 year old]. I have been around AB's for 9 years or so including research and going to shows etc and i can honestly say that i have seen many bad examples compared to decent dogs.I really think it is a bit of a lottery to get a good dog.I have also had other bullbreeds over the last 30 years and the reason i said keep with a stafford as you probably know yourself they are pretty bullet proof.This is something i would'nt say regards an AB or Presa.
    My advice to you if you choose either breed would be to try and see as many dogs as possible and ask what health checks the parents have had and what ever you decide get yourself a decent pet insurance just in case you have any health problems that may arise which could range fron anything from bad hips to ongoing skin conditions.There is also the important issue of temperaments as i have also seen a lot of nervous dogs.The problem i think with both breeds is that in the early days in the UK there were a lot of puppy millers out there compared to decent breeders and at £1000 plus a time for a dog were making good money regardless of health checks and ethical breeding procedures.Saying all this if you are lucky enough to get the right dog you will have a very loyal trustworthy companion for life.Good luck with what ever you decide....Cheers...Ian..
  13. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren
    thanks very much ian for your time, if its ok with you i might try and contact you later in the week, i just came across them dorset bulldogs this week on dogsey.
  14. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Thats no problem.....Cheers..Ian..
  15. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Hi Ian

Just crurious, how's your AB bred?
  16. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Hi Chunky, i was going to ask you the same thing as to which dog you said you imported into this country from Alan Scott.
    My AB Bandit was bred by Michael Burke in County Durham.He is a Standard Hybrid.His sire is Joe's Bucking Bronco of Vargas [Cody] and his dam is Black Ice Moonlight[Gyp].Behind the sire you have Steve Bacon's dog Sampsons Big Buck Lord Bo of CCK and Varga's Apache Scout.
    Behind the dam are Sean Barkers dogs being Barkers Bull of Pure Performance and Black Ice Dixie of Barkers.
    If you look at my other threads posted on the forum there are plenty of photo's of him from when we lived on the Isle of Wight....Cheers...Ian..
  17. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    Hi
    We owned Dixie, and and amoungst our imports: Black Ice Jab-Bo of AS, Black Ice Snoopy of AS, and Black Ice Brandy of AS
  18. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

Hi Chunky, you must be Clive [StagPark]? I had a feeling you were the owner of Dixie. If i remember rightly was'nt Black Ice Snoopy bought in in pup to Sambo and had 12 pups of which pups went to Mark Beasley,Pendals and Topdrives.The dog i have seen a few times is Twister [Digga] owned by Debs and Mark in Derbyshire. Its a small world...Cheers..Ian.
  19. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    I'm Clive's (Black Ice) wife Yes you are right Snoopy was originally brought in pup after Clive chose to have her mated to Sambo. Digga was out of that litter too. Blimey that was a long time ago, they were 8 years old in February......
  20. IanIOW

IanIOW New Member

There certainly has been a lot happen over the years and a lot of people have come and gone within the breed....Cheers..Ian.
  21. Chunky

Chunky New Member

Name:
    lesley
    That's true. We've always been about, just keep ourselves and any breeding to ourselves now.