Another fire 25 dogs dead General Chat

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terrier' started by GsdSlave, Sep 21, 2014.

1. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee

Another fire 25 dogs dead

2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I do not know what to think Vee - I posted this as a News item on Dogsey just after midday UK time

http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=191289

when the news first came through to me as an alert, and since then I have had numerous alerts of media reports on it.

It is, indeed, a absolute tragedy, but each report links this tragedy to the one at the Manchester Dog's Home and the same questions are raised in all of them.

Therefore I cannot blame some of the comments in the Mail, as the general consensus appears to be of the same mind.

There was also another fire at a breeder's home last week

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.php/122273/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Dog World newsletter 177 Sept 18&utm_content=Dog World newsletter 177 Sept 18 CID_ca4df18cfa9475111c71f7430351b9be&utm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=Read more

which I reported about http://www.dogsey.com/dog-news.php?t=191251

So many fires at kennels in such a short space of time.
  4. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    I don’t know what to think either, but I find it hard to believe anyone would deliberately do it themselves especially as dogs are involved.
    Just hope there’s not some sicko arsonist’s going around .
  5. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    There is absolutely no chance these people started the fire them selves.
    They are not puppy millers.

Unusually in these situations not one person who knew the has a bad word to say and even the breed clubs have pledged large donations.
    She keeps her dogs for life and has taken in ifs in need and looked after them until they have found their forever homes.
  6. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    There are two main points that make me wonder.

1 - The Manchester Dog's Home is, I believe, a charitable organisation. It is a centre for holding lost dogs/stray dogs, with an aim to reuniting lost dogs with their owners and to finding new homes for those dogs whose owners cannot/do not want to be found.

The fund was set up by the Manchester Evening News.

2 - This case involves a private breeder, breeding dogs for gain, not a charitable re-homing centre.

The fund has been set up privately to help the breeder directly.

- There is also a lot of ill-feeling about the fact that shelters/rescues/rehoming centres are over-run with discarded Staffies as it is, therefore whether the breeders were well-known or not, a lot of people question the breeding of yet more Staffies.

I am sure that this fire was not caused by the breeder - and if it was proved to be a deliberate action by person or persons unknown and not due to a fluke accident like a mouse chewing through a cable to the kennel's refrigerator, as in the story I linked to from Dogs World, they will no doubt be people who hate Staffies.

I love Staffies and would really like to have one, but unfortunately for me they are on the banned list here in Israel as they are in the "Dangerous dogs" classification, meaning that it is illegal to import one and those already here must be spayed/neutered.

I know that this

http://welcomingolim.blogspot.co.il/2009/12/dogs-and-law-in-israel.html

is an old article but I cannot find a later official one. Just this news report:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/8-dangerous-dog-breeds-banned-from-entering-israel-1.125802
  7. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    They are called a private breeder and I guess I would be called the same.
    That does not mean they are breeding all the time or doing just for the money.

The appeal was not set up by the breeder it was set up by so done in the breed and fully supported by others in the breed.
    It is fully supported because she is known to be a very carving person who looks after her dogs and helps others when needed.
    Her dogs stay with her for life and she will always take back any of her dogs she has bred that needs.

Wether you or anyone agrees with breeding of Staffords that is a different subject that has been debated on here many times before.
    Some of the comments on these newspaper articles don't sound to come from caring people.
    Personally I just think these things are being reported because of the interest shown in the fire at Manchester dogs home.
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris - I was also a private breeder, breeding a few litters of Griffons in my home - and I mean inside my house, not in outside kennels, but was registered with the KC with my own affix which is still mine as in those days the KC would register it for life.

I did not breed them for profit, in fact they cost me far more than they were sold for. I bred for soundness as at that time there were a number of problems with clefts and hip dysplasia being born, all supposedly hidden by a few of the then top breeders who were using Champion stud dogs who were known to throw puppies with such faults. Not that those breeders ever admitted such.

Someone from the Northern Griffon Breeders Association [a break-away from the main Griffon Breeders Association] was, at that time, trying to build a data base of which dogs/lines produced clefts in particular, but that was long before computers and he only had word of mouth to give him information. And of course puppies born with cleft palates were euthanised within hours of birth.

Which, of course, has nothing to do with fires at rescue homes or respected breeders, but it does mean that I do have some knowledge of breeding, albeit on a very small scale. Once I took back one of my puppies, then about a year or more old, as due to a marriage break-up neither partner could look after him and asked me to take him and find a good home for him - which I did within less than a week - a nearby family had desperately wanted one of my pups and as I had none at the time they were delghted to give this one a wonderful forever home.

I also looked after some others as holiday accommodation on occasion.

There is no doubt in my mind that responsible and respected breeders, such as those so tragically affected by this latest horror, would have had anything to do with it.

However, I still worry that it was not just an accident but a deliberate action by Staffie-hating people.
  9. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    This is a very sad event, and I can imagine that the owner will be tormented by visions of what her dogs must have gone through. I do hope that this turns out to be a freak accident, and not the copy cat work of a dog hating arsonist.
  10. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Azz likes this.
    I too hope it was an accident but some of the things I have read tonight from people has started me thinking about staffy hating people. Manchester dogs home had a lot of bull breeds the other fire was a bull breed breeder as well
  11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    What is the saying?

Once is an accident.
    Twice is co-incidence.
    Thrice is a pattern.

or, in some quotes:

Thrice is enemy action.

Three fires all involving bull breeds. I do not like it.
  12. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    @leadstaffs It may be just as well that Tina and Katie are reporting that fire and security precautions are being tightened up in the rescue homes they are involved with. The last time I visited Stoke Dogs Home, Staffies were the largest breed group there too.
  13. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Yes I would guess it may be a good idea for everyone involved to tighten up security
  14. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I have just found the fourth one - luckily this time it was only a threat and not an actual fire. The article came in as an alert last Friday although I did not post it in the Dogsey News section as it did not appear to be a strong news story.

But co-incidence or what?
    ...[snip]...
    Full article and photograph - which shows Mr Webb and a large dog - Staffie? - here...

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/ve-threatened-say-dogs-home/story-22943021-detail/story.html
  15. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Thank you for that information I will pass it on
  16. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Chris, it cannot just be a co-incidence. OK so the fire in Kent

http://www.dogworld.co.uk/product.p...tm_source=Campaign Monitor&utm_term=Read more

was apparently [?] caused by a mouse chewing through a cable to the kennel’s refrigerator, and this latest tragedy reported as being due to an electrical fault in the kitchen of the wooden bungalow - and the Manchester Dog's Home seems to be a case of deliberate arson...

... but one threat and three actual fires, all within an extremely short length of time, and all involving bull breeds?

Something is bothering me about all this, especially in view of so many negative news stories about bull breeds.
  17. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    I am now getting alerts stating that Amanda and Steve Hart had no house or contents insurance. No further details as yet.
  18. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    With the exception of Battersea I truly think the other two is a terrible coincidence just read that they didn’t have any insurance whatsoever, I am astounded that someone living in a wooden building, with or without dogs wouldn’t be insured. ( or perhaps one cant insure wooden buildings ) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204719516132817&set=p.10204719516132817&type=1&theater

It also seems that not all the dogs was theirs as she was caring for other peoples dogs as well,.

Very sad all-round .

………………………….
    From Facebook
    (quote Steve Halifax Loz Yeh put you mind in gear before opening your mouth and coming out with utter none truths get to know facts and dont base your bias bigoted opinions on readers. One of my precious baby girls was there and perished along with the rest of Amandas pets I would not have put her there if I had one doubt that she would not be treated as I treat my dogs its a devastating tragedy one I wouldn't wish on my worse enemy and one beyond the control of this family unfortunately they have to rebuild their lives and have to live with this. I hope you are happy with your comments dim wit.)
  19. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    What I don't understand is why were these dogs put in wooden kennel buildings, all our dogs at The Rescue Home are in brick kennel buildings.
  20. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    This is now beginning to make me really wonder.

No house buildings or contents insurance?

All those show dogs and they had no house or contents insurance?

My little bungalow is covered by my neighbour/landlady for building insurance together with hers as they are both on the same plot of land, and I have separate contents insurance. I do not own much but I wanted all that I do own covered by insurance, as replacement as new and not just payment for the current value. And it covers if someone trips and falls in my yard or slips and falls inside my house, for no known reason. Just an accident but covered by my contents insurance.

Pereg is included in my contents insurance for third party in the event that she causes an accident to someone [not me] in my home, outside in my yard, or if she was able to break free of her tether, causing an accident outside of my yard.

Neither have been claimed upon and hopefully neither will be, but I honestly can not understand someone not having even the most basic insurance?

Especially not when pedigree show dogs are involved and living in a wooden house with the dogs in wooden kennels.

I am not laying the cause of the fire on either Amanda or Steve Hart, but why does this keep coming to mind?

[Macbeth Act 4, scene 1, 44–49]

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
    Something wicked this way comes."
  21. leadstaffs

leadstaffs New Member

Name:
    Chris
    Azz likes this.
    It is true there was no insurance.

Not all of the dogs were show dogs. Amanda does keep all her dogs for life so no moving them on if they don't succeed or get old.

she is also one of the first to take in a dog in need and look after it until a home can be found.

I don't know what the real number of dogs were, yes there was a few but for sure the conclusions being jumped to by many are not correct.
    I have never seen such vile comment before that I have seen on FB or newspapers.

With that in mind none of us will be commenting on any threads as it is just feeding these people.

As this thread is a sensible one I will report any news that I get on the situation.