Any info on Cavalier King Charles please! Questions

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by Twigs, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    And no you can have plenty of pedigree dogs who are entirely healthy however Cavs tend to have health problems or am I wrong here too?

ps. sorry didnt really read your entire post before my response as Im in work, so some of the above may be irrelevant.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    lol I never said all Cavs to be sick. And my name is Laura thanks :)
  4. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    And my 14 year old cross breed is not on any medication at all and runs circles round other people pups but it doesnt mean all crossbreeds will be the same.
  5. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Yes that stupied women has ALOT to answer for. Like the cavs my breed have suffered through the media because of this twisted, crazy cow.
  6. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    WTF! actually, anyone is welcome to go get a cav, why would someone not get one because of what one person has said. Seriously! Get off your high horse. There are a lot of people who have said this not just me. If you get a cav it is best to know the possible health implications is it not?

Please do not insult me! Not exactly forum friendly is it?

I have owned a Cav he was fantastic, he was my little boy, he was beautiful he was loyal,he wasnt yappy, wasnt aggresive, the easiest dog I have owned to train house manners, he had a very sad death due to a health problem we were unaware to be so common. I love the breed two I am gutted I wont own one again because I cant afford with one with so many tests when Ive owned one tested who still had health problems and sadly passed aged 8.
  7. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    and the issue of the cavs health has been around for much longer than a few posts the last few days on this forum, so I highly doubt I am going to be the demise of one of the most popular breeds in the UK. If you can afford one and support a reputable breed go for it, but theres no point blindfolding it is there?
  8. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    Laura who has insulted you :? Im a little confused, we must be reading different posts! No one has insulted you??
  9. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura

??? Appeared to me as though you were calling me stupid and a crazy cow ???
  10. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    ermmm I will think you will find, If you read properly that I called Jemima Harrission.. Who was referred to as (Jemina Puddleduck)!! a stupied, crazy cow.
    I didnt mention your name, nor insult you.
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay

Really who says the Cavalier is the"unhealthest"breed ????

I can think of several that are far worse & many X breeds that have genetic conditions that no owner health tests their parents for. My neighbours Lurcher for example(a breed bred only for work allegedly ergo should be very healthy)has been on heart medication since he was 3 years old !!!!!! He has cost the Insurance company over £10,000 in treatment(good job it is Pet Plan life cover)

I have a Cavalier with SM(he is MRI scanned)however he is asymptomatic-ie has no outwards symptoms. This is the problem dogs can have symptoms & only have one of the three clinical conditions(as diagnosed by MRI scan) or they can have all three of the clinical conditions(as diagnosed by MRI scan) like Loukar & no symtpoms at all.

The majority of Cavaliers seen by the Neurologists that have the symptoms are not from well bred parents & tend to be(like the Cavalier in the PDE program)from pet dogs or puppy farms. This goes for those with early onset MVD-most responsible breeders only breed from dogs that have normal heart & eye certificates & MRI scans.

There is ongoing genetic research being done both here in the UK & elsewhere & until the marker gene is found then the real position will not be known.

Border Collies for example can have the following conditions:

Epilepsy
    TNS(Trapped Neutrophil Syndrome)
    CEA(Collie Eye Anomaly
    PRA(Progressive Rentinal Atrophy)
    CL(Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis)
    Glaucoma
    Exercised Induced Collapse
    HD
    ED
    OCD(Osteochondritis Dissecans)

Two of which are fatal(TNS & CL)

Now Cavaliers have:
    MRD(Multifocal Retinal Dysplasia)
    SM(Syringomyelia)
    MVD(Mitral Valve Disease)
    Dry Eye & Curly Coat Syndrome
    Episodic Falling Syndrome (Episodic Collapse, Hyperexplexia)
    Pancreatic Disease
    Ear Disease

Now you tell me which is the more unhealthy breed ??????
  12. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    My last cross breed had HD, PRA, congenital deafness !!!
  13. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    Im even more confused lol Jemima Harrison? Maybe im totally missing something on the thread. I thought you' were using that name as opposed to mine, Glasgow thing we often change someones name to something totally unrelated (commonly Dave in our local group lol) so thats why ive got my wires crossed. Lost as to how this person is destroying the breed? Is it someone in media or something or on the forum? Just intregued.

I wouldnt want anyone to stop owning Cavs or anything just wish more would be done to save the breed, although I know some breeders are trying.
  14. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    JoedeeUK I said supposidly. Not my opinion just heard of often. Which was I also put supposidly in bold.

I also said not all crossbreeds would be the same. I know how lucky I am to own as healthy a dog as Muffin.

Please if your going to quote quote the whole part not the bit that just suits what your saying against me.
  15. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Jemima Harrison made the Pedigree Dogs Exposed program & has admitted that she deliberately omitted to state that the Cavalier & Boxer(SM & Epilepsy)were not KC registered & where not from KC registered parents & were bred by pet owners-The Boxer was a result of a brother/sister mating that was allegedly"unplanned" This is the same woman who brings mongrels into this country for rehoming from Ireland & deems them"Black Retrievers"(ie Black Golden Retrievers)when in fact they are simply mongrels !
  16. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    My name isn't JoedeeUK BTW
  17. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Member

Name:
    DevilDogz
    You forgot to add that some of the dogs filmed had been with out their DAILY medication for up to a week before filming for a bigger effect, one even resulted in being pts, so im led to believe. :evil:

She did an article on Chinese Cresteds, and its flipping laughable.
  18. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I knew your name wouldnt be, however don't know your name sorry other wise would of course name you by name?

Not meaning to be rude just using your username so I could respond to you.

Sorry wasnt aware of who the person was at all. That programme was totally over exaggerated, raised good points to shock but shouldnt be based on for choosing a breed for sure. Was clearly just to shock. Plenty of crosses can have the same problems to the same extremity they just highlighted in pedigree for a point.

Sorry for previous comments on being insulted genuinly thought that it was directed at me and was totally surprised.
  19. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    didnt have a clue who the person was until yous said. Just thought the person on that programme was a random presenter. Didnt know they were known in the dog world

Cant say I get caught up in breeding, love learning about breeds, love various breeds of all sorts but my main interest in dogs is of course the relationship with them and I love obedience and agility training. Know nothing on breeding itself or showing and wouldnt pretend to have all the answers on either of them. Would only ever obtain my dogs through rescue or a reputable ethical breeder that is not scared to answer my millions of questions and to ask me a few themself. Im always wary when the breeder doesnt want to interrigate me as well lol.
  20. Laura-Anne

Laura-Anne New Member

Name:
    Laura
    I didnt know a programme from so long ago would still be in discussion have you'z found it to have a bad affect on the breed? I thought they were just as popular now as they've always been?
  21. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    JoedeeUK - I'd asked about pups on a cavalier website and was messaged about possible dogs, the MRI dog turned out to a year old, so a bit older than I was looking for but did sound ideal otherwise.
    I've never seen the PDE programme and don't want to but I do think it has left people thinking cavaliers are all unhealthy which I don't think is true.
    My golden retriever has good health scores but I also know one who cost a lot of money, had all the health checks for the breed but who has hip dysplasia and hasn't got the best temperament in the world either. I think all you can do is try to get the best possible start in life when you are buying a pup.
    I'm still hoping to add a cavalier to the family this year sometime :)