Are amstaffs illegal? Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Clair, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR

Are amstaffs illegal?

hi guys,theres a very good reason for asking this,i no theres alot of debate on wether the amstaff is a pitbull and wot not,but are they actually illegal in the uk under the DDA as there classed as pits:?
    need to no A.S.A.P
    very worried about sum1 i no that has just bought a cross pup:-(
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Hey clair, yes they are its classed a pit type, an amstaff is the show version of the american pit bull terrier.

Well a cross what hun? maybe they have been sold half this and half BS if u get me, did they get it in somerset?
  4. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    An AmStaff is basically a show version of the APBT in the USA, thats what i have always been lead to believe.As such im pretty sure it is outlawed by the DDA as a pit bull type.There is as usual debates about this,but im pretty sure i have my facts right this time.
  5. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i think i worried my mate quite abit,she wont tell me much,she got it in bristol.
    she said she saw the dads papers,and he was def an amstaff,the mum is a bullmastiff,they are both registered dogs,or so she said
    oh dear,i thought they were illegal i just wanted to check:-(
    now im really worried,wot do i do!?:-(
  6. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    Trevor Cooper, the solicitor (attorney!) most famous for DDA cases, working for the defence, has written articles saying that the Amstaff is considered under the law (whether rightly or wrongly) to be the "show version" of the Pitbull, and so is illegal in the UK.
  7. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Clair, i really think your friend has been mislead, id like to see the papers for the 'am staff' and i was just typing this on the bandog pic thread, bloody byb breeding staff, pits and bull breeds to mastiff, does she have any ideas on dogs?
  8. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    :shock: I have just googled Amstaff and the adverts are just blatent. I cannot link to puppies for sale on here for obvious reasons but one link takes you straight to this description....

Description:
    11 weeks old. chocolate amstaff with red nose. gets on well with dogs and young children. father can be seen. no timewasters please. looking for an extremely quick sale as i dont want children getting too attached.
  9. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    THERE is no such thing as red nosed am staffs lol, god sakes i hate breeders like this, scum bags
  10. Nursey

Nursey New Member

Name:
    Nursey
    Clair, I think your friend should refer to her puppy as a Bullmastiff cross and leave it at that.

Too much talk of banned breeds and Pitbull type can only make things difficult for her and dangerous for the dog.

Dawn R.
  11. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    ive seen this one stamford,i googled it to.
    i found some1 else that is selling them to,the dad being an amstaff,i emailed her to warn her that advertising over the internet is not a good idea,wish i hadnt bothered:x
  12. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    I agree...
  13. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    my mate just emailed me,i asked if she was sure it was an amstaff,she said yess,it had 'cropped ears' and everything.
    she said on the top of his papers it said AKC:?
  14. Adele4dan

Adele4dan New Member

Name:
    Adele
  15. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Hey Tee, hope u r well? was the reply back to u rude. nursey has a point and drawing attention the the fact she thinks she has an amstaff will cause trouble for the dog.
  16. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Jesus, cruel ********! Cropped ears does not means its an amstaff, a beagle could have cropped ears its just surgery they are born with the same ears as staffords, normally rose prick, or full dropped ears.
  17. Tee

Tee New Member

Name:
    Tee lol
    Hey, I'm very good thanks. I agree, it's too late now but I guess all she can do is not draw attention to it.
  18. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    ive seen this pup,it does not look like a bull mastiff wot so ever:-(
    its tiger stripped brindle,and it has half pricked ears,a slightly mastiff looking mouth but without the extra skin.
    its only slightly bigger than a staff pup at 9weeks.
    oh dear,im so worried:-(
  19. Stamford

Stamford New Member

Name:
    Steve
    I have to agree with Tee,best not draw attention to it.At only 9 weeks its possible it could turn out to look like anything really.I would just tell your friend to be careful what she says.
  20. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Clair, dont be worried, its her fault for not researching, its also a byb once again messing it all up.

Dont worry hun, im sure with your help the pup will turn out good.
  21. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    i hope your rite:grin:
    but im afraid the first time i saw him i asked if he was a pit bull,and i aint the only1 whos asked.
    shes one of my best mates,why didnt she come to me for advice first.
    u no wot she said 'she liked the pups and didnt want me to be judgemental with my posh dogs'',bless her:-(
    the pup is gorgeous,i just hope that everything turns out ok