Are amstaffs illegal? Questions

Discussion in 'Bull Breeds Forum' started by Clair, Mar 26, 2007.

1. christine m

christine m New Member

Name:
    christine
    I DID NOT SAY AT ONE POINT IT WAS LEGAL. i was trying to explain why there is still some pitbulls in the country. i am not irrispnsible as i wouldnt encourage people to do that. so what part of me trying to explain why there are still pitbulls do u not understand i would really like to know. cause then mabye you mite understand i am not pushing for people to buy them. or being irrisponsible, if anyone understands what im saying please let me know so you can help explain...
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. christine m

christine m New Member

Name:
    christine
    It is illegal to keep any of the above types of dog, unless the dog is registered on the Index of Exempted Dogs and certain conditions of exemption are strictly adhered to. It is a criminal offence for a dog owner to be in possession or custody of any of the listed dogs, unless a certificate of exemption is in force.

When the law was originally introduced – dog owners had to fulfil certain requirements within a very short space of time in order to bring their dog within the law. There was a deadline given after which time the Index closed and those dogs not fully exempted became illegal

this is what im trying to say. im not stupid and i know the dda as i owned a pit and was on the index. so i do know how it works. i was saying there is still pits in england cause there on the index, so that doesn mean because there is still some in uk its ok to have one.
  4. christine m

christine m New Member

Name:
    christine
    Dangerous Dog Information
    Dangerous Dog Act
    Owners of the breeds specially controlled by the above Act must carry a certificate of exemption allowing them to keep their dogs.

The breeds named are:-
    (a) Pit Bull Terrier and Pit Bull Terrier types

(b) Japanese Tosa

(c) Dogo Angentino

(d) Fila Braziliero

All owners of the above breeds must have registered at their local police station and the following procedures should have been carried out:-

The dog must be

Microchipped

Tattooed on the inner thigh

Covered by third party insurance

Neutered

In addition to this, all the dogs must be muzzled and on a lead when in a public place and kept in the charge of a person over the age of 16.

Any person not carrying a Certificate of Exemption is liable to have their dog seized by a Police Officer or the Council's dog warden. A court case may then follow to establish whether the person is in possession of an unregistered dog. If this is found to be the case, the court will likely order the dog to be destroyed and sentence the owner to six months in prison and/or a fine not exceeding, £2,000.

Other breeds also behaving dangerously
    The Act applies to other breeds also. It is an offence to allow any dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place, or a private place where it is not permitted to be, even if it does not cause an injury. The penalty if a dog does not cause injury is up to six months in prison and/or a fine not exceeding, £2,000. If a dog does cause injury and the case is proven in court, the dog will be destroyed, with maximum penalties for the owner of two years in prison and/or an unlimited fine.

All dogs should therefore be kept under control, and kept on a lead when in a public place. Keep our streets, parks and recreation areas a pleasure to visit for dog owners and non dog owners alike.

http://www.chiltern.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?categoryID=284&documentID=112

this is all am pasteing.. you should know if you no the act so much that it was a rushed bill and isnt always taking into consideration. it acuires alot of loopholes and not always followed by the gov and courts. the same as other bills were murderes and rapists get off lightly. it is most often enforced in extreme cases. so it may say all this but is never always gone by.
  5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy New Member

Name:
    Claire
    The first part of your post is accurate. The second is frankly untrue. You appear to be encouraging people to break the law because the odds are that they won`t get caught. Now, Christine - is this an honourable thing to do?
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Think the crux of the matter is you can not acquire a prohibited dogs trot along to your local police or council and have them put on the register, no one can ask for their dog to go not a register it can only happen through the courts.

The dogs are prohibited and that is an end to the matter, no one should be encouraging people to break the law or behave irresponsibly, which is what you appear to be doing.

We may not agree with the law but that does not give us the right to ignore it or to attempt to encourage others to do so by continually quoting half truths, they are prohibited, full stop.
  7. AST2008

AST2008 New Member

Name:
    mike
    I am an owner of Amstaff and living in UK.. i couldn't believe my eyes when i read this....

Amstaff is NOT illegal in UK. I have been through this with custom officer, Vet, Police and MP.
    I've imported it from abroad without problem but i am not going to get into it.

What they meant by pitbull type is fighting dogs, human aggression and dogs that resemelnce to pitbull that have no registery papers.

They have said that they can't say that any amstaff will be safe if they enter into UK because of "Pitbull type" as i have explained.
    Those backyard breeders is killing our breed by breeding their mutt dogs and lying about what breed they are.
    They are just mutt with ancestor of bull and terrier (and other breed) full stop.

most people who really have pitbull had lied about their dogs breed when their dog was seized for fighting and human aggression... i know.. because that's what the police had told me.. they said that they always says their dog is amstaff when really they couldn't prove it.. it was infact a pitbull type and oversize SBT and other breed and mutt.

My advice to you guys that think this way.. don't get amstaff because they don't deserve the bad rep.

Yes there are a lot of debation about if they are pitbull or Amstaff... or if they are show version of pitbull... pitbull do have their own show under ADBA registery so this doesn't fly with me anymore.
    Amstaff had been bred for 72years plus so they should be able to have their own name without another name. Dual registery is not going to be around for much longer (I hope).

Those ad that says that their puppies are red nose chocolate amstaff is not entirely true but it can be true in some case... if this was the case then those amstaff puppies have faults and should not be bred or they are cross with pitbull or pitbull type.
  8. AST2008

AST2008 New Member

Name:
    mike

that is what you was told but it is still there and i know few that had been registered under exempted dogs last month.
    That is for "pitbull type" and APBT and other ban breed. Not Amstaff unless he/she fall into "Pitbull type" category e.g. fighting dogs but not only amstaff... Irish Staff and SBT too
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  9. 3dognight

3dognight

Name:
    phil
    amstaffs and pitbulls are two different dogs all together they are close in blood lines and are desendants of bull and terrier breeds seperat but close ,amstaffs are usually larger...google it .....iv got an amstaff and have had pitties.......phil
  10. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Below is copied and pasted from the DEFRA leaflet published to help people know what dogs are effected by the act - Product code PB 8311 available by post or on line http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/welfare/domestic/ddogsleaflet.pdf

Q. My dog is an American Staffordshire Terrier (Am Staff) and I have got
    the papers to prove it and I also have the necessary documentation for
    my dog to travel under the Pet Travel Scheme. Will it be allowed into
    the country?

A. Our advice is not to bring an Am Staff into this country as we cannot guarantee
    that it will not be seized and its fate decided by a Court.

Still reckon people should be encouraged in own these animals in the UK, I do not. It is unfair on both the dogs and the naive owners.
  11. leo

leo

Name:
    marie
    i have processed cases at work, that the owners have been charged under the dangerous dogs act, believe me if the experts or court decied your dogs are type, then even if you have evidence to prove the are AM staff imports, they can and will be destroyed.
    So even if they are 100% amstaffs if the court say they are type, unless you win on grounds of appeal the dog will be put to sleep.
    Most owners are extermely lucky if they go through the courts and end up on the register.
  12. BigV

BigV New Member

Name:
    Ben
    I found this tread via google when I was doing a search for amstaffs....... I have to say it makes interesting reading.

I have been researching the subject as I quite like the idea of getting a blue staffie at some point, but most blue coloured staffies seem to be advertised as 'irish staffies' 'irish blues' or 'blue amstaffs' which AFAIK is basically code for pitbull or pitt bull X.

I know around my area I see plenty of interesting dogs, many 'staffies' which look a little too tall and athletic to be a true Staffordshire bull terrier and would more than likely fit the breed standard for an American pittbull / Amstaff.

I have come to the conclusion that if you own any bull breed of the general staffie appearance (sbt,pbt,amstaff,ebt) which is not pure-bred & KC registered then you run the risk of potentially having your dog destroyed under the DDA. - However it seems that most of the time people & their dogs are left alone by the police (whatever the breed type) unless the dog is reported to be aggressive or strays.

I think it is a case of breed not deed........ but if I decide to own this type of dog I will be sure to get a purebred KC registered SBT, as I would not like to run the risk of having my pet destroyed.

Also it seems to me that the breed standards only vary slightly in terms of height and weight (with considerable overlap) personality and behavioral characteristics are very similar, I believe in some countries a SBT is even considered to be a pitbull.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2009
  13. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    You can get big tall athletic kc staff's, my mate has one who's sire is 22" to the shoulder which is Kc reg.

About the staff being considered a pitbull in some countries, they basically are the same dog lol. Just one's a bit bigger. Amstaffs are just show bred pitbulls as aposed to being gamebred to fight.
  14. BigV

BigV New Member

Name:
    Ben
    Well the dog may be KC reg but 22'' tall is not breed standard at all. My understanding is the maximum is about 17'' tall.............. 22 inches would fit more with a 'pit bull' or amstaff......

I don't understand the logic behind BSL to be honest, unfortunately I think the way things are going we are likely to see further moves to try and ban staffies and rotties before long as well.
  15. tera

tera New Member

Name:
    t
    **** breed standard no offence but staff breed standard is ****, they look nothing like what a staff should. Kc ruined that breed by making them small, the staff's that are tall are more true to original staffy type and yeah they were more like a pitbull but only 90 years ago they were the same dog.

BSL wont ban staff and definately not rotties lol
  16. Mahooli

Mahooli New Member

Name:
    Becky
    It's breeders who dictate what breeds look like not the KC!
    Becky
  17. stoneman

stoneman New Member

Name:
    rosco
    What do you do ? Well if your a dog lover and friend of the person then I hope you wouldn't do anything , surely its none of your business , apart from maybe to help her socialize the dog , , deed not the breed .
  18. Nikkiandy

Nikkiandy New Member

Name:
    Andy
    Hi every one, I would suggest contacting dda watch they are a charity protecting wrongly labelled "type dogs" and owners, allie will tell you everything you need to know 100% facts and the legal ins and outs! They do a fantastic job google "dda watch" hope all.works out well :)
  19. scottyvdub

scottyvdub New Member

Name:
    SCOTTY
  20. tragedy

tragedy New Member

Name:
    jah
    APBT is a really lovely dog great with kids too

the law should be changed

if you have any breed of dog out control you should get a very long prison sentence...
  21. Tillybean

Tillybean New Member

Name:
    Tillybean
    Prob fake papers the man showed your friend for his so called am staff! As theirs know way he could of got a full breed am staff with legit papers in england..being from bristol it was most prob a staffy cross masstiff that he was saying was a am staff.. You can get fake papers off the net these days.