Are basset hound really the hardest breed to train? Discussions

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by K'Ehleyr, Jun 23, 2011.

1. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear

Could I just say that this post should come with a warning intro, I just had a change of underwear moment! :044: :044: :044: :044: :044: :044: :044:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That pic is hilarious! I just spat my drink out and snorted a bit up my nose! :blush: :lol: :lol:
  4. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
  5. K'Ehleyr

K'Ehleyr New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    As an update to this K'Ehleyr attended her first puppy class today. The trainer said she was star of the class as she picked up everything really quickly and that she looked lovely :grin: He used her loads for demos too :grin: He also said the staffy in her has done her well which is probably basset bashing (prob as they are known for the stubbornness) but it was great to hear him be so positive about staffies. Roll on next week :D
  6. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi

I have had the pleasure of owning Bassets for a few years and I believe your puppy has SBT traits more than the Basset.

I only took one of my Bassets to a puppy class for training - he came 2nd in his class, but that was because there were only two puppies left! The trainer ignored him after the 3rd class as it was his sleeping time and after a rough and tumble with the puppies he would do nothing else, no amount of cohersion, sweet talking etc would get him to move. However, all my Bassets have learnt to sit, wait and come (if asked three times in a nice manner). If all fails, food is the answer. Have fun x
  7. Kevin Colwill

Kevin Colwill New Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Bassets have passed through our training classes a few times and I've never found them hard to train. The worst issue is, like other sent hounds, Bassets love to follow a trail and that makes bombproof recall very hard to achive.
    I find the hardest dogs to train are those who don't get excited by rewards- treats, games or praise and the Bassets I've met will work well for a treat or a game.
  8. Cov Luke

Cov Luke New Member

Name:
    Luke
    I agree weve only recently had our beagle, and weve decided on recall with a tiny treat as a reward, it doesnt have to be big as long as its tasty, weve been doing it for about a week now and shes slowly starting to come around although we still get the odd "no ive got nose to the ground" lol, but its getting less and less, I always knew dogs can be food orientated but had to see it for my own eyes to see its true potential.
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    How old is your Beagle?
  10. Cov Luke

Cov Luke New Member

Name:
    Luke
    only 10 weeks so very early days yet lol:grin: