are CKCS good with other dogs? anyone have one??

Discussion in 'Cavalier King Charles Spaniel' started by MistyBlue, May 8, 2008.

1. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no

are CKCS good with other dogs? anyone have one??

if everything goes to plan *fingers crossed* i want to get Archie a little friend poss the end of this year when he will be about 15months old.

dont want to get my GSD yet as i will still be renting and if anything happens itll be harder to rent with a larger dog than a little one!

anyway! i have been reading about CKCS, and they seem like great dogs! partners not too much of a fan right now....(thatll change!) so just wondered are they good with terriers? as archie is def more westie in personailty than bichon!

might even get a 'cavachon' if one comes up CKCS cross bichon as thats kinda like archie but im guessing wont be as firey as both breeds are alot calmer than terriers!

so any help or pics wouldnt go a miss..........
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Trixybird

Trixybird New Member

Name:
    Tracy
    I have two and they are both fine with other dogs. My first cavalier used to spend time with a young JRT without any problems. If I can find the pictures ( been looking :? ) I will post some for you. Good luck ;-)
  4. crazycockers

crazycockers New Member

Name:
    Sharon
    My dads dog Henry (ckcs) absolutely loves other dogs, as soon as he see's his lead and he knows he's going walkies, he is sooo excited because he just loves meeting up with other dogs, he gets out of the car and heads off full speed to find a new 4 legged friend....I told my dad he had to get another :lol: Don't think he will though, he loves his Henry way too much to share him with another dog.......lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The picture of him sat on the step is most recent, he's been on a diet and has lost quite a bit of weight so is doing really well, the weight piled on after he was neutered :(
  5. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Cavaliers can be brilliant little dogs, but please if you want one make sure the parents have had all their health checks done(Heart, eyes & MRI scan for SM)

Please don't buy or accept an intentional or accidental cross, these will not be from health tested parents

If the breeder tells you all the tests have been done ask to see the certificates-GP vets cannot eye test or do MRI scans & do not believe breeders that tell you their dogs have no SM behind them-all Cavaliers have at least one direct line to a dog/bitch with SM or that has produced SM
  6. Gina&Jaz

Gina&Jaz New Member

Name:
    Gina
    Jaz is great with other dogs, but she is very much a people dog so will choose to spend her time with me, for instance, than with the Goldens. :grin:
  7. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    i have 5 cavaliers and they all get on with other dogs .....agree with JD make sure both parents all fully health tested and as for a cavchon !!!! why ?
  8. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    hiyas thanks yes i have found a breeder near me, all health tests etc i wouldnt buy a very expensive pup without health tests! infact all the breeders i have found near me seem pretty good actually, large family trees and all health tests can be seen etc

cavachons, i know there a cross, like my dog now but i just like them! maybe im addicted to 'chons' now!

cant wait to have a garden to, would be lovely to watch the pups playing together out there! just a shame it wont be the summer with a little pool for them! well with the weather maybe it will be summer in dec! :D
  9. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    gorgeous pup!!! :D :D
  10. CavalierCrazy

CavalierCrazy New Member

Name:
    Suzanne
    I have 4 Cavaliers and they are Great with other dogs :D

heres my lot meeting other dogs at the parks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:)
  11. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Are you sure both parents have been MRI scanned for SM & are clear ? If you have seen their clear certificates then you are very very lucky
  12. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no

no i haven’t seen them as i didnt ask i was told, im not looking right now im just asking questions i Know about health testing, and i know what to ask for please dont talk to me like im stupid. the people said they health test & vets certificates for the health tests are available to see. strangely i tend to trust people if they tell me they have these things Then find out if anything is wrong if I wasn’t able to see them, then id know something was up I have common sense!

archie is a cross what i have now Both of his parents were health tested, not everyone who crosses dogs does this, but SOME of them do!!! As the lady also bred westies & bichons!!

not everyone is in it for money, some peg dogs arent tested people still buy them.

im just asking a nice question and dont want this thread to be turned into a big battle please.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  13. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    wow they are gorgeous!! 4 of them!! you must be addicted!! :mrgreen:
    i really love the ruby colour, but belhiem is my fav :007: i saw one with a little shaped heart on its side in brown-it was a natural odd ocurance, so sweet!

im trying to talk to this guy who has a ruby one near me, i keep missing him everytime i go out! i really want to meet his dog everytime i see him it seems to be telling him what to do!! so cute! lol! :grin:
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2008
  14. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    in all fairness JD is just trying to save you years of heartache no one thinks anyone is stupid :002:
    MRI scanning is very expensive so not many breeders scan or are even aware how seroius syringomyelia is

and your right some peg dogs are not tested and people still buy them we are just trying to save you years of heartache my friend has a 3 year old with Syringo its heartbreaking to see and to know he prob only has a year to live :(
  15. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    I was not treating you as being stupid, but sad to say many Cavalier breeders are not aware of SM if they are not involved in showing Cavaliers or with the breed clubs. All three of my Cavaliers had/have SM, they are from parents health tested for MVD/eyes, but not MRI scanned. Loukar's beautiful champion father was PTS with SM before he was 3 & was in such pain that his devastated owner/breeder had no option.

MRI scans for SM cost between £100 & £200 each, many people think that because their dogs don't have symptoms their dogs are SM free, sadly they are wrong. I have to watch my precious Joedee cry in pain with SM when he has an episode, knowing their is nothing I can do for him(painkillers are not an option as by the time I could administer them it is over)

Kaycee who went to the Bridge last month, had health tested parents(heart & eyes)& I had to let him go not because of his heart which we had sorted with medication, but because of his SM. My beautiful, beautiful boy could not cope anymore & I had to let him go. he was a very very special dog & it broke my heart.

As to designer crossbreeds-why do their"caring"breeders charge so much for them ? more than they charge for puppies of the breeds they cross ? Money-sorry if that is not what you think but it is a truth that designer crossbreed owners close their eyes too & declude themselves that they have a new & special breed

On another forum there is a breeder of two toy breeds who crosses them & has thought up fancy name for them. However on seeing the dogs she is using(especially one "stud dog)they aren't very good examples of the breeds & their designer offspring are even worse.

I plan to get another cavalier, but only from someone who really cares about the breed & doesn't breed for the sake of breeding & who takes great care when doing so.

I may or may not breed from my BC bitch, but not until all the health checks are done & if you think £200 for an MRI scan is a lot, then think about in excess of £300 for the tests done(all normal results)so far then add on at least another £200 & also then sorting out why she hasn't had a visible season yet. Then I have to find a suitable dog that has also had all the health tests done ! So I will have spent over £500 & I still have to find a stud dog !!

Breeders have the welfare & future of their breed(s)in their hands & it should not be undertaken lightly.

I would say the majority of Breeders(including pet, BYB, puppy farmers etc)don't have a clue about the conditions which affect their breeds & TBH aren't interested & pay lipservice to health testing in order to sell their puppies.
  16. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    that is horrible :( i have asked 11 breeders now about health testing one got back to me saying 'there vet checked' and that one is crossed of my list already! i know what i am looking for! :grin:

i dont know about designer breeders im not talking about them and dont want to get into yet Another dicussion about money etc.
    some health test some dont same as any other breed, ok now thats over please move on!.

this question was asked about CKCS and temprements and for some pictures not a big old debate with huge anwers.

as i said above i am looking and asking thr right questions as i have done for the past 5 years of my research if they dotn do it there off my list.

nothing else to say on that matter so can we please get back tot he orignal question! :grin:
  17. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    enough said then .....
  18. JoedeeUK

JoedeeUK Member

Name:
    Deejay
    Sorry to answer your question is do Cavaliers get on with other breeds answer yes

[​IMG]

Beautiful isn't he, but we live on a knife's edge as he has SM(scanned by MRI)& every cry & limp however slight sends me into despair
  19. Inca

Inca New Member

Name:
    Mrs G
    he is gorg JD a true trooper xxx
  20. mse2ponder

mse2ponder New Member

Name:
    Charlotte
    He is absolutely beautiful.. so sad to hear about his condition - must be so hard for you too..

Hope you find a good breeder Misty.. sure Archie would love the company of a gorgeous CKC!
  21. MistyBlue

MistyBlue

Name:
    no
    Inca, Joedeeuk, do you know of any good breeders in Essex?

i have contacted 11 people, so far 4 have got back, 1 jsut said 'vet checked pups' - not good enough for me im afraid! and the other 3 said they were only having 1 litter and no more after the ones they have now!

waiting on the others to get back but i can still look around, thanks!! :)

Gorgeous pup Joedeeuk, sorry he is ill :( my cats ill a life time illness i hate it when his ill his on medication for life to, its so sad :(