Are third or later generations Shih Tzus priced lower than their older siblings? Questions

Discussion in 'Shih Tzu' started by dothackjhe, Apr 25, 2021.

1. dothackjhe

dothackjhe New Member

Name:
    Jermaine

Are third or later generations Shih Tzus priced lower than their older siblings?

I'm not necessarily running a puppy mill, but I do have a few Shih Tzus that are not neutered. Basically, making the household breeders of the beloved dog breed in a way. But the money earned for selling the pups is kept strictly for the dogs' expenses (food, haircut, etc.) because, well, they are kind of pricey to keep, all things considered.

The parent dogs in question have been breeding for years now and, IIRC, are already at their third or fourth generation puppies. Throughout the time that my pets have been producing offsprings, we've gotten a usual buyer whom I believe buys them in order to be resold at a higher price. Now, the said buyer is haggling to buy six Shih Tzu puppies at a substantially lower price, with the argument that third or later generation puppies are of "less quality" than their older siblings.

For any Shih Tzu breeders out here, what's your take in that notion?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    You are a backyard breeder, IMHO. You don’t even make sure you know who’s homes they are going to, you sell them to a middleman. I have two large dogs and I don’t breed them to pay for there food or veterinary visits, shots, check ups, flea and tick medication. I brush and bathe my own dogs, but I’d imagine due to their size they eat a lot more and cost more at the vets. Have you even done the necessary health screenings to make sure that they are dogs that should be bred.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    I agree with @who owns who .

You are a backyard breeder and on the verge of being a puppy mill. You are breeding puppies for easy cash and selling them to a "retailer" who sells them at a profit.

You are not in this for the betterment of the breed. You are not ensuring proper homes for the puppies. And if you need to sell puppies in order to afford the basic care of the dogs, you are not ensuring the health and welfare of the adults or the puppies.

Please STOP breeding your dogs and get them fixed.
  5. who owns who

who owns who Member

Name:
    Marc
    Malka and Toedtoes like this.
    I came back to this thread because I wanted to add a few more thoughts but @Toedtoes already said what I was going to add so perfectly all’s I need to do is say thanks.

I just checked his profile and he was back after your post. He didn’t reply and I’d guess we’ve seen the last of him
  6. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Member

Name:
    Toed
    GsdSlave and CaroleC like this.
    I suspect he didn't like the direction this thread was going. I feel very sorry for those dogs.
  7. CaroleC

CaroleC Member

Name:
    Carole
    A breeder should breed with care, and the intention should always be to produce a better and healthier litter with every generation.
    The breeder is responsible for bringing those puppies into the world, and in my opinion has a duty to select the best possible home for each and every one of them. By selling through a third party you lose the ability to follow the progress of your puppies, and to identify any health problems that may arise at an early stage.
    A responsible breeder should to be prepared to take back and re-home any of their puppies or adults who might find themselves in difficult circumstances.
    A good breeder is lucky to make any profit. Yes, health testing, stud fees and veterinary care do cost, but it is your decision to produce that litter. Dogs should not be expected to pay their own expenses. What happens to your dog's when they are too old to breed?