Aren't greyhounds lovely? General Chat

Discussion in 'Greyhound' started by x-clo-x, Aug 4, 2012.

1. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe

Aren't greyhounds lovely?

At bakewell show on Thursday they had their greyhound rescue stand there with a couple of the dogs. To say I fell in love would be an understatement :007: This one handsome man I was fussing was gorgeous. He was a lovely fawn brindle and he was a leaner :lol:

He truly was gorgeous and I very nearly came home with him :lol: :lol:
    I will have a greyhound one day, unfortunately nana doesn't like them, yet another breed on the list, and I do have my more active breeds to come first :lol: but when I'm older I can see a couple of greys snoozing on my sofa :lol:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    They are absolutly wonderful, sadly there are thousands desperate for homes, only a few lucky ones make it to rescues.
    I know when I work on the greyhound rescue stand at shows, everyone wants to take my Lily home as she leans on them and melts their hearts.
    She is brindle too. :grin:
    They are such easy, loving, gentle dogs who just want some comforts and love.
  4. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    they really are. i would love love love one, unfortunately nana isnt a fan (dont know why!) i was stood talking to them for ages at this stands, and my friend was there looking at me going "when you have your own place you are going to have a houseful arent you?" :lol: id like two one day (like things in pairs :lol: ) and no doubt at some point i will do. got plenty of years to have them all.
  5. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Your nana isn't under the misconception they are lively dogs that need hours of exercise is she?
    You'd be surprised how many people think that, and are shocked when they hear they just like to snooze the day away.
  6. x-clo-x

x-clo-x Member

Name:
    chloe
    i dont know, ive not asked her, i know she just said she wouldnt have one. will see if she is under that misconception, will ask her when she gets back in.
  7. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    You would be surprised how many people think because they are racing dogs they are hyperactive and need to run.
    That couldn't be further from the truth. You need to get her to meet one :grin:
  8. Nippy

Nippy New Member

Name:
    Jenny
    When I had Mo, my neighbour couldn't touch her. She said she was too bony :shock: :017:

I just love them and as MM says they actually need little exercise. Just a short burst and then it's curl up on the sofa time again for the rest of the day :lol:
  9. grommit

grommit New Member

Name:
    clare
    Sofa hounds :grin: :grin:

They are adorable but i am slightly biased :lol:
  10. chaumsong

chaumsong New Member

Name:
    Jane
    I always recommend an ex racing grey to people looking for a quiet pet, who doesn't need a huge amount of exercise and is happy to snooze most of the day away.:grin:
  11. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    They are lovely dogs. We met two beautiful greyhounds at Rufford Park recently - both from Ireland (rescues) and even a year on one of them was only just recovering from what she'd gone through. You could see some thin fur patches on her and her owner explained that she'd been near bald when they'd adopted her.

The male grey' was a 'leaner' too lol. :grin:

We seriously considered a grey' but because we have rabbits, guinea pigs and rats (and the rabbits have a large outdoor set-up and get lots of free range time) we decided it just wouldn't be sensible.

I do recommend them to others on a regular basis though!!
  12. dizzi

dizzi New Member

Name:
    anon
    I've come to the conclusion that Nancy will always just be a bald backended character - if it ain't grown back after a year I'm doubting it's going to... she's also got some pretty awful scars on her legs and thighs as well from her time as a racer - I do get stopped fairly often and asked what happened to her... but she's lovely - completely bonkers, a total shoe thief and flatulent sofa hog. Can do the doeful "give me that" eyes - but behind them you can just about see the steely determination... I figure she's had to be a tough one to cope with her racing life in the past!
  13. madmare

madmare New Member

Name:
    Bev
    Don't give up hope on her baldy bum. Kyiro had, like nancy a very stressful, bad time in racing kennels and he had a real baldy bum, but this summer hair has grown on it and its no longer baldy. It has taken almost 3 years though of living in a home to grow it.
  14. EmmiS

EmmiS New Member

Name:
    Emma Louise
    I know a lot of people who don't like them because they look too skinny.

Their loss!
  15. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Aw bless her xxx

Sounds she's well and truly landed on her feet now though! What most greyhounds seem to have in common is their love of lazing on sofas from what I've heard! :lol:

(Just noticed you're Notts so not too far away lol)
  16. polly7

polly7 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    lying on sofas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lying in beds
    [​IMG]

lying on beds
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

lying on the floor
    [​IMG]

in fact, lying anywhere there's a space
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In fact, I think it's pretty much a case of just lying around for 90% of the day with a greyhound lol!
  17. Insomnia

Insomnia New Member

Name:
    Melanie
    Love the lolling tongue on the first lying on the bed shot! :D

I'm not surprised you fell in love, they can be very charming! At fundraisers I do with Axel, he's a little less overt and doesn't lean on people - but I do get a LOT of comments on how calm and well behaved he is - I just think he's lazy!
    I also recommend them to people a lot (obviously if I think they're suitable) and wish often I could have another. I think there's nothing nicer than a pair (or more!) of Greyhounds snuggled up together as the pictures above demonstrate. They're such wonderful dogs and I think they can be hilarious! There's hardly a day goes by we don't laugh at Axel's expressions, funny antics or sheer stupidity! ;) :D

I hope you get to have some one day :)
  18. polly7

polly7 New Member

Name:
    pauline
    can't you have another?
  19. zoe1969

zoe1969 New Member

Name:
    Zoe
    Yes they certainly are the most wonderful sweet and docile dogs. I agree with what everyone says....they are bone idle!!:mrgreen: :007: Even if Guinness is off lead...he runs like the clappers for about 5 minutes then he really cannot be bothered to run anymore!!
    He spends most of his time leaning against me as we walk. And if he loses sight of me for a second he panics and comes running over! He is adorable and I don't know what I'd do without him.
    I have 6 dogs and it's always Guinness who gets the most attention! Most people can't believe how calm he is!:mrgreen:
  20. spot

spot New Member

Brilliant pics and yep got one doing the very unlady like pose of lying on the back with ya legs wide open and tongue lolling out
  21. Hanlou

Hanlou New Member

Name:
    Han
    Fantastic pics! :lol: xxx