Article on WC's in a pet home Discussions

Discussion in 'Cocker Spaniel' started by Baileys Blind, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne

Article on WC's in a pet home

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2012
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. smokeybear

smokeybear New Member

Name:
    smokeybear
    absolutely agree with the content.
  4. spaniel04

spaniel04 New Member

Name:
    H
    I totally agree with the article. I have a trialling bred cocker and his two previous owners failed miserably in their attempts to keep him as a pet. The dog is an out and out hunting machine, intensely intelligent and extraordinarily fast, definitely not for the faint hearted or inexperienced owner. He is a fabulous gundog but absolutely not suitable for a pet home, not even the most active of homes.
  5. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    There doesn't seem to be much info out there about the difference between 'working' and 'trailing' Cockers.

I didn't realise until I saw trialing Cockers working and noticed a huge difference between them and Lily's temperament :shock: Good God, I thought Lily was high energy and intensity but she's nothing compared to those dogs :lol:
  6. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Interesting article, i think the main points could be applied to many working bred dogs not just FT bred WCS.

I'm still in awe of their stamina, both mental and physical.
  7. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    I have 2 working Wc's in the house ...
    Non working wcs could lead to peeing in the garden ...:O
  8. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    :005: took me about ten mins to get that!
  9. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    You fool!!!
  10. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    Ditto ..........
  11. Murf

Murf New Member

Name:
    murf
    It is a fool's prerogative to utter truths that no one else will speak...:mrgreen:
  12. maxine

maxine New Member

Name:
    Maxine
    LOL!!! :lol: :lol:
  13. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    I only skimmed the article.

But for a non gundog person, could someone please explain to me the differences between a FT working cocker and a "normal" working bred working cocker?
  14. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette

Think "pet bred" versus "working bred" - high drive, super fast, hunt hunt hunt hunt......seriously intense wee dogs bred specifically for field trials to be "flashy."

I can see a difference when we meet "pet bred' WCS in terms of drive etc, although how much is down to training too......certainly mine tend to be under MORE control than most pet ones we meet ;-)

I'm not sure I agree with the article r.e. keeping them outdoors either, mine have lived inside for a good while and we have no problem, of course they are massively stimulated however and given outlets for their drive. Can't stop them fetching every bloody item they can get their paws on though! :x :lol:
  15. Baileys Blind

Baileys Blind New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I don't have a problem with Lily either but I don't think I'm an average 'pet home' per se. I think the normal pet home that these dogs are going to is a 1 walk a day (if they're lucky) and expected to entertain themselves the rest of the time or just lay by fire :shock:

It's difficult for any dog to live like that let alone a working breed :evil:
  16. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Yeah exactly, like any working bred dog they need more than just a quick trot round the block once a day - and need to use their brains!

The main issue i come across is people can't control their hunting drive - the dog spends the whole walk miles away with nose on ground and owner is ignored. Altough i can't talk, Jet did a runner after a deer he practically stumbled over the other week wee badword!!! :blush: :x
  17. Helen

Helen

Name:
    Helen
    I haven't read the article but just to add:

My friend is training 2 cockers - 1 is heavily ft bred and the other is keeper bred. You can see the difference when training. The ft bred one is go, go, go, go and the keeper bred is more steady and methodical.

Both doing incredibly well,btw. The oldest one just starting on shoots and is very good. I shot over him this morning and it was a joy - shame I was so out of practice though! Lol

Helen
  18. Moobli

Moobli Member

Name:
    Kirsty
    Got it. Thanks :)
  19. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Sometimes i watch them and wonder if they are on speed with the rate they work at! There's just no need for that much energy :lol:
  20. Jet&Copper

Jet&Copper

Name:
    Annette
    Welcomes :)
  21. Wozzy

Wozzy New Member

Name:
    Leanne
    I knew a lady at agility who had a working cocker, couldnt tell you what kind of lines it was from and the little dog seriously gave me a headache. How it's owner coped with it I shall never know, and i'm not shy when it comes to dogs with energy! This dog was like it was on ecstacy or speed all the time and it just whizzed round and round without stopping for a moment. TBH, it had too much energy because it was that high on running about, it had little capacity to actually listen.

Picking up on the hunting drive - this annoys me terribly. I hate to see spaniels (or any other hunting gundog) stuck permanently on a lead because the owner either cant be bothered, or doesnt have the skills to train the dog sufficiently. The homework and lifestyle assesment has obviously been bypassed in favour of the 'good family pet' image and easily manageable size.

On the beach at the weekend and there were 2 show cockers stuck on a lead whilst every other dog was running free. My neighbour has a working type springer who has never, ever been off a lead in its 7 years because he "runs off". So it gets a 1 mile walk twice a day round exactly the same field. I doubt it has ever swum, crashed about in undergrowth or run until it's tongue is lolling. Absolutely not fair IMO and since the gundog group is the most popular amongst dog owners, there are far too many dogs living inadequate lives through the lack of knowledge of their owners.