Ban dog / Mastiff cross in the UK? Questions

Discussion in 'Mastiff' started by addi, May 14, 2006.

1. addi

addi New Member

Ban dog / Mastiff cross in the UK?

hi

had a male staffy and a female english bull terrier for 6 years until a couple of years ago, unfortunatly i had to rehome them due to a messy break up. i am now back on my feet and settled in a nice cottage in the country and am looking for a new pup. I have decided to stick with my love of the bull type breeds but would like a larger dog, i looked at the mastiffs but found them a little too big and clumsy for my own preferance so am looking for a bandog type where i can get a more athletic looking mastiff with a few less wrinkles!

anybody knowing of a breeder in the uk of a similar mastiff cross bull terrier dogs i would appreciate their help!

regards

craig
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    Hi craig, you want a bandog? mastiff x bull breed
    please becareful u dont buy off puppyfarmers/byb because a mastiff x bull breed does not make it a bandog, the real bandogs have a lot of thought put in to them! Id go for a stafford or bullmastiff
  4. DobieGirl

DobieGirl New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    Have you had a nose around rescue centres yet? :?
  5. Hayley SBT

Hayley SBT

Name:
    hayley
    thats true dobie girl, many mastiff x bull breeds, sadly! a real bandog is very hard to handle! the bull breeds have dog agression in them (generally) and the mastiff were bred to guard orignal, you cross them and really needs a lot of thought to breeding and a very exp owner!
  6. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    b4 even considering getting any form of mastiff or cross look in2 there personalitys.
    the reason alot of people rehome at such a young age is because of how headstronge they are.
    i love mastiffs and in the rite hands they are great companions.
    ive only eva seen rotti x DDB or rotti cross BM,they are still huge.
    personally dont think its healthy to breed them with nething smaller
  7. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Many "ban dog" mixes are specifically agressive. I'm assuming that isn't what you want. Look into your local shelter, and don't get one of the really big mastiff types (bullmastiff, dogo, fila, corso, boerboel, etc) unless you have LOTS of time to train, and lots of experience in training. These aren't ready made perfect dogs, they're guarding breeds and without constant attention and socialization they can become agressive and impossible to manage. At all over 100 pounds that isn't something anyone wants. Bullmastiffs tend to be much easier, but be extremly careful that they don't stay outside too long in the heat and understand that they're working dogs. They need attention, people, and jobs. Staffies and pits tend to be favorites because they really are people pleasers.
  8. Niknak

Niknak New Member

Name:
    Nick
    Have you thought about an American Bulldog? I have one and he's great and sounds like the sort of dog you're looking for. Do look for one either in a rescue centre or from a reputable breeder - if you want to know of any let me know! Niknak
  9. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    oooo oooo ooo instead of a Bandog,why not go for a cane corso,
    Wendy
  10. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I love corsos I just think that they can be more guard dog then most people really want... All those really big molosser breeds require so much time, you really have to be deducated to socialization and dominant training, or you end up with a very scary dog.
  11. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    There are at the mo,many,many Mastiff crosses,and I must say its a pet peeve of mine,
    just saw some advertised somewhere today which are Mastiff.husky crosses,there were piccies of them,and they had the palest blue eyes,if I go for any breed I want to know everythingt about that particular breed,this cross is just wrong,and the health problems that could occur are awful,
    I love the looks of the corso,but only in pics,can't say I have ever seen one in the flesh as yet,
    Wendy
  12. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    I'm all for mastiffs and molosser breeds, I'm getting a boerboel myself in a few weeks, but I agree all these mixes are scary. The worst of it is that these dogs are being carelessly bred and are getting the biggest health issues from both sides.

Corso are great, but they're a tough breed. Not so much as a fila, but you really gotta know what you're doing with them... And not have many people coming in and out of the house. They see almost any stranger as a threat, it takes so much effort and training to calm them down, but then again...that's what they're supposed to do.
  13. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    I do really love the corsos,but I too would find them hardwork,but I live in a pretty built up area,and would not find them suitable for my lifestyle.I would like a more active molosser,as mine do like to sleep,LOL
    Wendy
  14. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    That's why I'm getting a boerboel, active, big, and fun. But tons of work too, I wouldn't even consider it if I didn't work only part time and at home, and most of the year he's going to have a huge yard and some woods to romp in. Like, english mastiff and bull mastiffs are great dogs, but they seem to hate moving and playing as they get older. I can't blame them, they're so heavy, but it can be a drag when you want to go for a jog. At the same time it's what makes them great for apartments, and smaller homes, with people coming in and out constantly. They might bark, but they aren't really a danger. The other more "active" breeds in the group, with the exception of staffies and pits, require too much work and socialization for the average home (or sane owner). It would be nice to see the english mastiffs and bulls go back to their original working roots, and away from the nonesense the AKC has forced the breeds into. We would probably see way less health issues and more energetic dogs.

BTW, how do you manage 6 mastiffs in one home? Not meaning to sound crude here but I would go crazy dealing with that much doggie dropping
  15. wendy taylor

wendy taylor New Member

Name:
    WENDY
    well as for doggy poop,I have a very large shovel,it all goes inot a big bin liner,and once a day gets put in the doggy poo bins in the park behind our house,gawd knows what the poor devil that collects this once a day thinks,hahahaha,
    they all live in the house,and I absolutely love it,a couple are rescues,which would not be suitable for rehoming,ie;food aggressive and blind,but the rest are my home bred babes,and as for jogging um well,thats probably why I have put on sooooo much weight,hahaha,they do not "do"jogging,hahaha,yet are quite happy to go all round our parks but at their own pace,I actually would love a more active Mastiff but can't see that happening in the near future,besides I LOVE MY GUYS,the big slobbering eejuts that they are hahahaha
    Wendy
  16. KirstenR

KirstenR New Member

Name:
    Kirsten
    Aww, they sound like lucky dogs indeed. :)
  17. dardar

dardar New Member

Name:
    darren

hi everyone this is my first post,at the moment i have a staffordshire bullterrier,a bullmastiff and a neapolitan mastiff, which are all lovely dogs in their own way,but i dont think i will ever replace my old dog zoe, a bullmastiff rottweiler cross, theirs the answer in a nutshell, if you want a mastiff cross get one, you wont get a better dog if you get the right one.
  18. sky_high_bluest

sky_high_bluest New Member

Name:
    dave
    true BUT! if you get the wrong one you right up s**t street! i'd go for a proper bandog or a true breed! but whatever you decide make sure you can see the parents and where the dogs are kept! and have plenty of the right questions to ask the breeder and make sure he/she gives the right answers. in other words go knowing what you want 100% from your new dog and your breeder!

oh and good luck!

p.s. i'd go for a staff lol!
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  19. WendyP

WendyP New Member

Name:
    Wendy
    We are trying to rehome a mastiff cross boxer type size maybe little bigger not a lot bit of a baby being bullied check Wendy P on rehoming or phone christine 07783116727
  20. jakki

jakki New Member

Name:
    jakki
    Hi Craig

I have a cross mastiff/german shepherd and she is 14 weeks old and requires a new home. R u still looking
  21. Collie Convert

Collie Convert

Name:
    layla
    Hi- i dont think you will get much joy as this is a really old thread- can i ask why you are rehoming yoiur pup?