Basset Fauve De Bretagne Discussions

Discussion in 'Basset Fauve de Bretagne' started by Discussion Thread, Apr 28, 2004.

1. mjfromga

mjfromga Member

Name:
    MJ
    Perhaps the wings were left to thaw etc a tad too long. We've done that before and though the meat SEEMED okay, we didn't chance it and chucked it.
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Kibble is the common term for dried food of whatever brand.

Regarding the unfrozen uncooked chicken wing, you should have let Tootsy eat it as it is only cooked bones that are dangerous. Tikva had an uncooked chicken wing half an hour ago for her breakfast, although it came straight from the freezer. Crunch, crunch, crunch.

This evening at 8pm she will have her "soup" and mixed vegetables, with cut up ox heart. Having had 2 kilos of fresh ox heart delivered yesterday, I have been up to my elbows in - well, if you are squeamish about blood... cutting it up, packing in individual meal sizes which are now being quick frozen.

If you can get chicken carcasses from your nearest butcher, break them in half and give a half to Tootsy. Once I have a bit more freezer space, that will be my next order. About five kilos of them!
  4. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Malka is a very lucky dog with a very loving owner......The Ox heart thing sounds.....fun.....lol......
    Yes I am learning things all the time on this forum....the fact its ok for dogs to eat raw chicken wing bones (as apposed to cooked) is an eye opener....
  5. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Ox lung is good too. It is 75% protein and 25% fat, with lots of vitamins and minerals. It is very light weight for its bulk and rather yucky to cut up. A good [raw meat only] cutting board and a very sharp knife are needed, plus being able to cope with a rather large, slippery and bloody [no, I am not swearing] lung.

I only got ox heart, which is extremely tasty and once trimmed [Tikva gets all the trimmings] I can slice some into thin steak-like slices and flash fry, or stew/casserole whatever. I usually get turkey hearts for Tikva [and for myself - I love hearts!] but my poulterer did not have any, hence they got the ox heart for me. Not sure what it weighed - but then I am not sure what anything actually weighs. I just telephone and ask if they have such and such, approximately so many kilos, and Michaël delivers it on his way home [they live just up the road from me].

Last order included about three kilos of turkey gizzards, the next order will be turkey liver and chicken necks. Michaël brought large turkey necks the last time I asked for necks but as Tikva is small and these are massive, I am keeping them to make soup for the winter, and there is enough meat on just one to make two meals for me.

I used to get chicken carcasses for Pereg, my previous girl, and break them in half so she had half at a time, but Tikva is so much smaller that even though she would chomble the lot, it would be far too much for her.

Incidentally, I am Malka, Tikki Tikva is my raw fed little dog, as on my Breedia welcome picture. My avatar is my beloved Pereg who I lost on 1 April last year.
  6. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Tootsy is eating a lot better now....she had cut up chicken with rice and veg last night and polished the lot off..She is getting her confidence back and up to her old tricks.....
    Thank you all so much for your help and feeding advice.......and sorry if I have got names muddled up....
  7. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Taking a walk out in the wilderness two days ago...Tootsy returns with something in her mouth...Closer examination revealed it was half a sausage... Where the #### did that come from....hunters maybe....
    She eat it..one of the only things she eat that day....But..walking home I suddenly thought, maybe the farmers are poisoning the foxes...has she just eaten poisoned sausage.....
    Turns out it must have been a hunters sausage and she was fine....
    The day before she came home with an uncooked Turkeys foot leg combo thingy...she was very proud etc etc..... I have spent more than any other animal I have owned to coax Toots into eating normal stuff.......and always loose......
    I am still a bit worried if their is an underlying problem but have come to the conclusion she is just a bit minx.......hmmmmm....
  8. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    CaroleC likes this.
    I think that young Toots is trying to tell you that she wants proper Food [deliberate capital F] and not dog food. ;)
  9. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    LOL......yup....think your right....
  10. Andrew Sheldon

Andrew Sheldon Member

Name:
    Andrew
    Malka and CaroleC like this.
    Tootsy latest photo...she is eating so much better now and putting on a wee bit of weight...She is a little bit too woofy... P1010029.JPG P1010029.JPG but she makes up with it with all the love she gives us.....

Attached Files:

11. Malka

Malka Member

Name:
    Juli
    Tootsy is just sooooo adorable - who could not love a face like that? :049: :049: :049: As for being woofy, when Tikva is not woofing I wonder what mischief she is getting up to! The advantage of her woofing though is that she has different woofs for different things, which is very helpful as being hard of hearing I understand what she tells me. Mostly.
  12. GsdSlave

GsdSlave Member

Name:
    Vee
    What a pretty girl Tootsy is :049: I love her ear feathers .
  13. 6JRT's

6JRT's Member

Name:
    u
    Real cutie :049: