Basset hound, advice, anyone have one General Chat

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by Clair, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Icarus

Icarus New Member

Name:
    Alix
    Only some smell because of their extra skin they can sweat a bit, all they need is a bath. Because they have long ears they do get mucky inside so need cleaning with ear cleaner!!
    Not much work really is it?
    People say once a basset always a basset!!!
    I love them, they do want to be with you all the time and rest body parts on you for comfort.
    Yes they can be stubborn and once they get on the trail of an interesting smell they become deaf! so what, put them on a lead!
    They are very comical with a great sense of humour.:mrgreen:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Bit late but I've only just joined!

Bassets are fantastic dogs, but it's a bit like marmite - either you can't be without them - or you never want to see another one in your life!

Yes they can be smelly (mine aren't most of the time), they are definitely the most affectionate, lovable characters (emphasis on character), they bay rather than bark. They are not suitable if you are out at work all day (they are very social animals - they hate being left alone for long periods), they do need a lot of exercise (once they are over about 8 months, it is important not to over-exercise a Basset puppy).

If what you want is a dog that's going to do what you want - immediately when you tell them - don't get a Basset, you probably would be more suited to a dog that's actually listening to you...

Saying that I could never be without them (and one is never enough)....
  4. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Completely agree, one is definitely never enough, not sure my OH will agree though, although I am working on him ... Welcome to Dogsey and it's great to have another Basset fan on here.

Sarah
  5. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    We are now at... 10 (but we do show extensively & breed), each one has a very individual character. We even moved 200 miles north to give our hounds the space they deserved!

Di
  6. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    They are hounds with all the hound qualities and training problems, they have loose skin which can cause skin infections and require more care than most hounds because of it, they also over the years have been bred in a way that has exaggerated some of their features like the loose skin and the ears and that in turn can cause problems.

IMHO not a hound breed to start with.
  7. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Most training involving a Basset requires dedication and patience, they were bred to follow their nose and hunt, this they do by nature and obviously makes training more of an effort.

There are still active Basset packs who are as keen to follow a scent as a foxhound or beagle.

The loose skin isn't in itself the problem with Bassets, not all Bassets with loose skin have skin problems, I think environment plays a big part in the whole, as a breed we are working hard on finding the cause of skin problems.

Regarding exaggeration, yes some bassets are exaggerated, on the whole Bassets who are winning in the show ring (and therefore the breeding programmes associated with these hounds) are not overdone and although there are a few this is not the norm any longer.

Anyhow, even the most exggarated hound MAY have a use in a breeding programme.
  8. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I am quite proud of Harvey, he will wait on command, sit and stay - although most Bassets will sit anyway at any opportunity lol and is a well-trained, that is of course in comparison to other Bassets, not a GSD etc, he has never run away from me YET, although he comes after the third time I call him, but for a Basset that's pretty good. I think Bassets are the very essence of a hound, they have a strong scenting instinct, they are definitely pack animals and enjoy the chase. I am quite proud to be owned by one. They are definitely a breed you either love or you don't.

Di, do you have a website or some pics of your pack? I would love to see them.
  9. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Reread my post and I do seem hard on the Basset, did not mean to be they are a lovely breed but I am not sure that as a first hound to own I am not sure it is the right breed.

I own an independent hound breed, I love my breed because and despite their arrogant attitude but they are not easy and I would rather be honest than encourage someone to have one and then find it has been re-homed, returned to the breeder or something worse.

So I would say to the OP do the research, visit a few breeder, weigh it all up and if you still want one go ahead.
  10. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I agree with you Pita, they can be quite a stubborn breed and do require patient and firm handling. I know Harvey would love to be "at the top of the pack" and without creative handling, would rule the roost with all the accompanying bad behaviour.

However, I would say that if you have had dogs before they are not a difficult breed. I had more behavioural problems with my Belgian Shepherd and I found my Golden Retriever more work than my Basset. They do not require a lot of grooming, just a brush twice a week and a clean out of the ears. I haven't had any skin problems with Bassets that I have owned but then mine always go for a brush and clean up once every three months and go for a paddle every day.

I think the main problem for a new owner would be the training. They are never going to come when you call them the first time and will pretend to be deaf if they smell something really interesting, which is normally always. To be honest, I couldn't cope with a dog who ran away all the time which seems to be common with some Basset Hound owners, maybe I have been lucky but I have never experienced this. But the bonus is, if they do run away, you can always catch them! They don't run very fast lol

I think Bassets are for people who are not bothered if their dogs don't come to a whistle or even at all, who love a constant companion although a slobbery and sometimes smelly one and enjoys a long stroll rather than a quick run around the block. Nothing moves fast with a Basset, they do everything at their own pace.
  11. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Hi Jackie

I think for anyone who is choosing a 'first dog' and hound could be a handful - unless you really understand pack order and really take command as the pack leader - and with hounds that's their thing - they are pack animals (why, at least with Bassets one is more difficult than two). But I do see your point that maybe its not the idea first dog - or it is.... As long as you get decent advice when buying a hound, and the continued support of a good breeder - go into owning a hound with your eyes open.

I agree I definitely tell people the 'bad' points of owning a Basset rather than the obvious nice stuff, certainly there are too many Bassets in welfare due to people not understanding what they are getting - it maybe cute as a puppy - but its going to be BIG, with a lot of character, willfullness and a hound to boot.
  12. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    I think we are all getting the same point here.

Don't get a Basset unless you really have an undsertanding and commitment to a hound, and that you have the longterm support of the breeder.
  13. random

random New Member

Name:
    Kel
    On another note, a dachshie is a nice first hound IMO.
  14. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Di, I know this maybe a bit off topic but I noticed you own Petit Basset Grand Vendeen - how are they in comparison to the Basset Hound?
  15. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Hi Sarah, I have limited experience (we only have the one), but one goes a long way! They have more of a terrier nature, quite destructive, plays with our Bassets but he plays harder if you know what I mean, uses his voice regularly, but a funny, funky little hairy person, I love him to bits but... its certainly not a Basset... And being hairy he needs very regular grooming or he really is smelly.
  16. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Absolutely adore Bassets and some of their traits are shared with setters and also have had a Dachie in the past, so fully intend to own a basset one day in not too distant future, lottery permitting;-) ;-) There is a woman near us that has a PBGV and the larger version BGV?? they are gorgeous!!:grin:
  17. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    BGV Grand ;-)

Like this one
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  18. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Thanks hun:grin: I'm easily confused:lol:
  19. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    I know that dog!!! Fabulous animal.

The main difference (I think) is lenght between a PBGV & a BGVG (lenght of body, lenght of muzzle, lenght of legs & ears), the grands seem to be 'less terrier'...Or so people tell me..

Not a Basset Hound, two very different breeds.
  20. Petticoat

Petticoat New Member

Name:
    petticoat
    Lovely pic Pita, still prefer the Basset though, saw a lovely girlie the other day, predominately black markings, oooh I wanted to dognap her:blush: :lol:
  21. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    It's all individual - I'm not for blacks personally....