Basset hound, advice, anyone have one General Chat

Discussion in 'Basset Hound' started by Clair, Dec 5, 2007.

1. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    I had to post one of my Harvey ....

[​IMG]

I'm biased but think he is the most handsome dog!
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    People who own Basset Griffon Vedeen reckon that the Petit and the Grand are two different breeds, admit I think they look as if there is only a size difference but there does seem to be a temperement difference too.

Talking of the Basset breeds lets not forget the BFDB and the Bleu de Gascogne as well.
  4. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    i posted on here ageessss ago

question?:: how many 'types' of basset hounds are there?
    what i mean is since being crushed by one fat basset who is build like a brick........... u get me,..... :lol: he is overweight anyhow but seems adifferent 'type' to another more slender and different colour basset

does any one know what im chatting??

:lol:
  5. Pita

Pita New Member

Name:
    Jackie or Jay
    Think the word basset means 'close to the ground' or something like that, the BFDB are small in weight and hight in comparison to the Basset we all know and love.

A Basset Fauve for you:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  6. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    anyone?/.............
  7. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Depends if you mean true Basset Hounds or various Basset (French for low-set, stunted or dwarfed) breeds, in the Uk we have Basset Hounds, Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen, Grand Basset Griffon Vendeen (in france they also still breed the larger size Briquet Griffon Vendeen - but these are definitely not Bassets - huge), Basset Fauve de Bretagne, Basset Bleu de Gascogne (and in France they have the Basset Artesien Normand) - does that help....
  8. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    confused.... lol

like sarah8's harvey at the top of the page - to me is 'one type' and the same 'type' but lighter build......

im not sire how to explain so mabey i'll give up :lol:
  9. bayingbasset

bayingbasset New Member

Name:
    Di
    Yes, some Bassets are light boned, tend to have less loose skin, shorter ears and a rounder eye (they also taller), these are a more working type hound.

Then you have the heavier boned, lower, more floppy loose skinned Basset - they do look very different - but they should all still be able to move with purpose and do a full days work if required (Bassets were bred originally to hunt).

I have to say I much prefer a Basset with decent bone (as Sarah's has - I think he's a Balmacara - all France's dogs have good bone!), they are supposed to be a 'hound of substance'...
  10. Katie23

Katie23 New Member

Name:
    yes thats nthe type - the working one

i was jusr curious tbh as the 2 i have met - one was just like harvey (but this one was really really fat)! and the other was a lighter "working" type lol
  11. maxddb

maxddb New Member

Name:
    zoe
    I love the picture of Harvey he is so handsome I am interested in adopting a basset from welfare and would like to know if there are any good books around about the breed. I own a dogue de bordeaux male and a male old english and until recently a female shar pei. My main experience of dog owning is with shar pei I have had 3 and terriers. Any advice regarding books and living with a rescued basset would be appreciated
  12. sarah8

sarah8 New Member

Name:
    Sarah
    Hi

I can't give any advice about living with a rescued Basset Hound. However, I would recommend visiting Basset Hound Welfare website if you haven't already done so. You can find a contact in your area and they will answer any questions you have - they have always been extremely helpful and knowledgeable when I have contacted them before.

http://www.bassethoundwelfare.org.uk/

Good luck - they are wonderful dogs!

Sarah
  13. Clair

Clair New Member

Name:
    CLAIR
    Only just caught up with this thread I posted so long ago:lol:

Sarah harvey is fantastic, such a handsome chap:grin:

We are currently looking into adding to our family, yes I'm mad with 3 children and 2 dogs already, but thats the reason we have put off getting another dog for over 18months as it is

Now all we need to do is find a good breeder and get on there waiting list:grin:

Clair
    x
  14. blakegsd

blakegsd New Member

Name:
    Aj
    You either love them or hate them, then when you own 1 you love to hate them them but can't lol lol
    I have a 10mth rescue handed in to our local pound at 4mths because the previous owners had done no research on the breed and couldn't cope????? They liked his ears!!!!!
    He is very hard work , but does go off lead has done his KC Good Citizen Bronze ( although we have chickened out of our silver for now) and is definatly the clown of the pack an demands to be centre of attention.
  15. stunt monkey

stunt monkey New Member

Name:
    paul
    how anyone can get a dog without doing any research into the breed is beyond me, any dog needs researching before you commit we spoke to breeders and owners and trainers about our coonhound before getting her,you have to have a basic idea about what you are getting into.