Being sensible about utonagans? Questions

Discussion in 'Utonagan' started by Moon's Mum, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Moon's Mum

Moon's Mum New Member

Name:
    Amanda
    Care to elaborate on how thye are different please?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Borderdawn

Borderdawn New Member

Name:
    Dawn
    The Saarloos Wolfdog, is a long established breed, that was bred with meticulous care. Evey animal is documented and the breeders are determined to breed healthy animals with sound temperaments. All breeding stock are hip scored and there is a huge database of dogs, pedigrees and health tests open for ALL to see.

http://freenet-homepage.de/whitefang/saarloos_wolfhond.htm

There was a couple of cases of pituitary dwarfism, thought to come from the GSD background, the difference with the breeders was that they immediately took steps to eradicate it. Within a very short time, geneticists were able to gather enough blood samples and DNA, to identify this disease, and things look very promising.

http://www.accdata.co.uk/dwarfism/saarloos/index.html

To me this is the difference between responsible breeding for the right reasons and breeding to supply a pet market and for money and greed which sadly the Ute, NI and other "types" fall into. If people such as JK and other founder breeders of such dogs REALLY cared about them they would of ensured without doubt they were only using healthy animals, consequently, these dogs would be far more healthy than they are now.
  4. littlelab

littlelab New Member

Name:
    Natalie
    I have a Utonagan and she was rehomed to me via Utonagan rescue.

Yes there are health problems, but then there are health problems in many breeds, my Labrador who comes from excellent lines, all relevant health checks done, still haev Elbow Dysplasia.

I fell in love with the Utonagan, much like you browsing the internet, I put my name on the WL for a rescue dog and 12mths later picked up Sulin Maia.

She has been challenging, as she is extremely willful, stupidly intelligent, hyper sensitive, but very affectionate.

She has Hip Dysplasia, but 4 years on, and at 7 years old she is still going strong.

Don't be put off, if you really love this breed then go for it.

[​IMG]
  5. inkliveeva

inkliveeva New Member

Name:
    Elaine
    Brilliant pic littlelab and a really well put personality, sounds a lot like my Inka x
  6. Brandykins

Brandykins Fondly Remembered

Name:
    Rosemary
    Before I got my Ute, my friend googled it first and that was how I got Loki. My Ute also suffers from Epilepsy - as most on here know. There are health issues with them - but they are a beautiful breed. They are intelligent and people and children friendly.

I wouldn't swap Loki for all the tea in China!! I love her to bits and she has a wonderful, loving personality - like all Utes have. Mischievous as well and very playful. Loki loves playing with all her toys:)

Lucky Star has given you excellent advice and I can't add to it.

Good luck.

Rose and Loki :) http://www.dejavuphoto.net/Photographs/Loki/27th-October-08/IMG_2233.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2008