Bernese mountain dog advice? Questions

Discussion in 'Bernese Mountain Dog' started by berneselover, Dec 12, 2018.

?

How vocal is your Bernese

1. 1) very vocal ( barks at every little thing)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2) only barks when there's a reason

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3) hardley barks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. berneselover

berneselover New Member

Name:
    jenny

Bernese mountain dog advice?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking forward to meeting you all.

I have always wanted a dog but waited till the time was right and all the years I spent waiting I put effort into picking the right breed and learning as much as I could about dog behaviour \ training.

I found my perfect breed in the Bernese mountain dog. I have met many and spoken to a lot of owners and breeders and read lots of books and websites to learn as much about the breed.

I am now spending as much effort on finding a good BMD breeder in the UK.

I am hoping you can all awnser a question , a friend of the family has a BMD and when I told him what I read and was told about the breed he said everything was true except vocal he said Harvey hardley barks even when the door goes he doesn't bother to bark. I was told they are vocal not overly but will bark if there's a reason such as someone coming to the front door.

I wanted to ask all Bernese owners on here what's your experience?
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Chris B

Chris B Member

Name:
    Chris
  4. Lynn

Lynn Member

Name:
    Lynn
    CaroleC likes this.
    Hi I am on my second Bernese he is now 7. He rarely barks when someone knocks at the door but when excited about going for a walk or a ride in the car he barks. He also barks if there is something in the garden, cat, squirrel or something or someone nearby he thinks should not be there.
    They are not guard dogs but watch dogs so will alert you by barking sometimes they may want you to walk the perimeter of the fence just to make sure with them all is clear other times they will of seen off the intruder mostly cats or wildlife of some kind then be happy to settle again.
    Depending on the lines some are barky than others but in general they are very laid back breed. Looking for breeders the best thing is to look for shows or the garden parties. One will be coming up in the Spring at Priors Marston you will see lots of Berners there all ages and sizes. Everyone who attends is friendly and more than willing to talk about good breeders and where there Berner came from some have one like us others have multiple berners.
    Joining the BMDCof GB is also a good idea when you get your berner. Do not be tempted by internet sellers good breeders will have a waiting list and do not need to advertise. If you join as Chris says the sister site where I am based I will be happy to talk to you in further depth. Also google bernese news some good articles and show critiques on there to.