Best treats for a Dalmatian Diet

Discussion in 'Dalmatian' started by Clarita, May 16, 2010.

1. Clarita

Clarita New Member

Name:
    Clarita

Best treats for a Dalmatian

Just want to know what is the best possible/healthiest/most apt food treat to reward a Dalmatian with? Would love to hear all your recommendations. Plus, would love to hear what to avoid, too!

Our puppy trainer said that we need to bring to class either chopped up mild cheese or cooked sausages in small pieces or both. Is this okay for Dals?
    We bought dog treats- special Oscar dog treats yet the puppy trainer did not approve. Want the best possible treats for our pedigree Dalmatian dog.

Looking forward to hearing your replies. Many thanks in advance.

Warmest wishes from rainy Devon, Clarita :) rainbow smiles:grin:
  2. Registered users won't see this advert. Sign up for free!

3. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    Don't know specifically about Dalmations but I would try the ones they sell in "Pets at Home" that are about 89p a packet and don't contain sugar. Sorry-can't remember the name but they do quite a few different treats all without sugar.A lot of the Pedigree ones and other well-known makes contain sugar and a lot of other muck.

When we used to go to "Heelwork to Music" classes I used a combination of treats-mainly chopped up carrots/apples and small pieces of cheese/meat. I think that like Kerries, Dalmations are also prone to putting on weight so if your dog likes carrots or apples these are low in calories.
  4. Clarita

Clarita New Member

Name:
    Clarita
    Kerryowner- You were most helpful!! Much appreciated that great advice :)! Sebastian says a huge thanks too!

Big hugs, Clarita, Christopher and our dalmatian Sebastian :) :) ;-)
  5. pam2

pam2 New Member

Name:
    Pam
    I think the treats Kerryowner might mean are made by Wagg, they don't have a lot of junk in them and are a reasonable price.
    Chopped up cheese, chopped pork, and carrots might go down well too, although my Charlie would starve before he would ever eat a carrot :grin:
  6. Clarita

Clarita New Member

Name:
    Clarita
    Many thanks Pam2 :)!!
    Charlie- cool name!
    Warmest wishes, Clarita, Christopher and our puppy Sebastian :)
  7. Wyrd

Wyrd New Member

Name:
    Tasha
    I don't know about Sebastian, but Cooper is a dustbin and will eat anything!

So far i have been using chooped apple, carrot, bits of raw pork mince and some cooked chicken, he prefers the mince and chicken but is happy as long as you are giving him food!
  8. murph

murph New Member

Name:
    James
    Err does it matter? - Dalmations will eat ANYTHING!
    If the treats are too nice you may loose his focus as he may be too obsessed with the treats to focus on you
  9. Labman

Labman New Member

Name:
    Ted
    I agree with murph about treats not needing to be too nice. I often use the dogs regular kibble. What you use as treats may be less important if you keep the dog lean as is healthiest. It does sound like you will have to use the cheese or sausage in class.
  10. Clarita

Clarita New Member

Name:
    Clarita
    Fantastic advice from you all- many thanks!! Have noted all your good words down to put into practice for sure.

Much appreciate your time plus help.

Warmest wishes, love Clarita and Sebastian:) 8)
  11. Kerryowner

Kerryowner

Name:
    Stephanie
    I think I have very weird dogs as they like satsumas too!

When my husband peels and eats his daily satsuma they watch him drooling (the dogs not my husband!) and he has to save them the last segment each.

Parker was also watching me eat my grapefruit at breakfast the other day so I thought I would call his bluff as it were and give him a piece-he liked it!! He ate another small piece-very strange.

They like most fruits including melon and pineapple but not star-fruit that I got cos it was reduced one week in Waitrose so I got it to try. I didn't like the starfruit either!